Quick Search: in
Gnome light [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Gnome light [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Well, I just read this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-542679-highlight-gnomelight.html

About the differences between GNOME and GNOME-light. What I was wondering is what are the packages that are NOT included in GNOME light. Basically, does it have everything you will need? I'm just wanting a basic system that I can add things as I need them (no media player, web browser, etc. to begin with). If it has the basic login screen, clock and terminal, I'd be fine. :)

I just want the capability of adding things as I go along (like GIMP, etc.)

Thanks,
Zach

Last edited by NathanZachary on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you should consider XFCE... I disliked my experiences with gnome-light, though I think some gnome applications are unnecessary: evolution, totem, gnome-games... and so on.

But if it has to be gnome, try this:

emerge gnome-light
emerge gnome -vp

Now you can see the difference between gnome and gnome-light and chose easily what you miss.

Regards, Joe
JamesWP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome light has the base system, terminal, firefox, login screen etc, basically everything you NEED to install other stuff and browse the web, I prefer it over the full gnome package every time, then again i like a minimalistic system. :p
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used KDE, but when I switched to Gentoo, I decided I would switch everything, desktop environment included. :) I haven't tried XFCE yet though. I've really wanted to try Beryl and Fluxbox, but apparently the former isn't yet stable with Gentoo. So far, I like GNOME better than KDE, but that was solely a visual thing. I'm sure that if I play around with GNOME for a while, I'll get it to be as nice looking as KDE, and it will function more smoothly.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking GNOME-light will probably be the way for me to go, and then just install packages that I need afterward. I'm assuming it still uses GDM?

--Zach
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_zach wrote:
I've always used KDE, but when I switched to Gentoo, I decided I would switch everything, desktop environment included. :) I haven't tried XFCE yet though. I've really wanted to try Beryl and Fluxbox, but apparently the former isn't yet stable with Gentoo. So far, I like GNOME better than KDE, but that was solely a visual thing. I'm sure that if I play around with GNOME for a while, I'll get it to be as nice looking as KDE, and it will function more smoothly.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking GNOME-light will probably be the way for me to go, and then just install packages that I need afterward. I'm assuming it still uses GDM?

--Zach

Code:

$ emerge -p gnome | sort > gnome
$ emerge -p gnome-light | sort > gnome-light
$ diff -u gnome gnome-light

Will give you the difference.

GDM is not installed by default with any of them, I think. You can use it with both, though, as you could it with kde, fvwm or ratpoison.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_zach wrote:

--Zach

Yes, and also, since you are using Gentoo, you can also use XDM,KDM or GDM if you want.You have always the choice :)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; I think I'll have to look at those differences and decide, but as of right now it's looking like I'm going to try GNOME-light. I'm going through right now though and looking for all the global USE flags that I will want. Thanks a bunch for the information.

--Zach
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: