Problem: Accented Characters in the console
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleverson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Problem: Accented Characters in the console Reply with quote

Hello

My native language is Brazilian Portuguese. I'd like to use UTF8 as charset as it ranges to any language.
I've followed all steps described in Gentoo Localization Guide and the UTF8 guide, but some letters aren't displayed correctly on the terminal. For example, the characters é (ansi 233), á (ansi 225), ç (ansi 231), etc., are displayed as a kind of question mark (?). In addition, when I try to type some of these characters, it displays two characters instead of one....
I'm using Lat9w-16 consolefont as described in the l10n Guide, but no results... Any tip please?

Many thanks

"Be realistic; ask for the impossible"
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you type the characters? I could try them here with the same setup.

What have you got set in /etc/conf.d/keymaps?
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
kleverson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The KEYMAP variable is assigned to "br-abnt2", my keyboard, which Gentoo recognized perfectly. To make such accented characters, I have to type two keys, e.g. for the character "ê" I type the caret followed by "e". Usually, when one type the caret key, it should be expected that the next letter is a vowel that should be acented.
Note that, even the console messages aren't displayed correctly. I've set my Locale to "pt_br", the messages became translated as well, but when it encounters an accented character, it display a strange symbol instead.

Thanks,

wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your locale should be set to pt_BR.UTF-8, that is, in /etc/env.d/02locale you should have
Code:
LANG="pt_BR.UTF-8"

The characters you have given in your posts haven't displayed correctly here and I think it is due to your "pt_br" setting.

I'll wait to see your reply before teleporting this machine to Brasil :D

[Edit] I've set LANG="pt_BR.UTF-8" in /etc/env.d/02locale, KEYMAP="br-abnt2", added pt_BR.UTF-8 to /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen and rebooted. Running "locale" just shows POSIX with LANG unset but ^e on the console yields e with two dots over it.

Is this good?
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
kleverson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Well, I decided to resign and use ISO-8859-1. I will probably have less problems generating UTF-8 stuff only when needed, rather than using it the whole time.

Thank you all,

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: