Grub: error 17
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z2SSA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Grub: error 17 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm really not good at this, so if the question looks too funny please still help me out. I had Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on the same PC. I was trying to see the different partitions, and deleat Ubuntu directly via XP but I did something really wrong and now i get this message

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

I tried putting in the XP CD, but it just gives me the possibility to reinstall Windows, but I don't want to loose all info.

What can I do???

Please help me out.
Acron_0248
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Grub Error Collection

"Reinstall" or "Repair" the windows installation doesn't format, but in your case is useless, you need to check the root path in the grub.conf

Regards
Linux User Registered #399288
Z2SSA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I check my root path in the grub.conf?
brainsto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub: error 17 Reply with quote

Z2SSA wrote:
Hello all,

I'm really not good at this, so if the question looks too funny please still help me out. I had Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on the same PC. I was trying to see the different partitions, and deleat Ubuntu directly via XP but I did something really wrong and now i get this message

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

I tried putting in the XP CD, but it just gives me the possibility to reinstall Windows, but I don't want to loose all info.

What can I do???

Please help me out.
I've seen this before. It's where GRUB can't mount up the boot partition that it is being told to access. Hopefully this thread will help. There's a loot of detail in it. --> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=120802

And to see what is in the grub.conf... do this:
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf |more

When GRUB is booted up at system startup, you should have by default 30 seconds to highlight the boot profile you want to start, then hit the E key, or whatever key it is to view and temporarily edit the boot profile that you highlighted. You'll be able to see the specifics, then you can post it to us. Also, if you moved around any hard drives or drive boot orders via the BIOS, that may have affected that as well. Because, GRUB is told to point to a specific device, and then a specific partition. If anything in the path that leads towards where your kernel file is, or towards booting another operating system, then I believe that is the error message you will get, that or your system would just hang when booting to that partition.

I hope that, and the thread posted above helps. Good luck. Be sure to read the thread I linked, and any threads associated with it of course.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: