emerge gentoo-sources does not work.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davimint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: emerge gentoo-sources does not work. Reply with quote

It's been a long week with Gentoo but I'm not going to give up so I guess I'll have a thousand post ( My Second One ) before I get a handle on this distro. Currently I'm in a new install from the Live CD amd64 and it's up and running ready to go with the exception of the "Fatel, could not open system.map" error which i'm assuming that has something to do with the genkernel part of the CD. My system has a nvidia GForce 6100 card that I would like to get going first. From what I read in the doc's from "Gentoo Linux Nvidia Guide" i'll need to the source installed as normal with the proper symlink in /usr/src/ so my problem begins.

Here's where I've got to make a choice as I see it.

First choice ( "NOT" the one I want although I know how ) BUILD MY OWN KERNEL FROM THE SOURCE....

Second choice, "THE ONE I WANT"
Use Emerge to install the sources and learn what is necessary to make it all work if that means installing genkernel or whatever most folks do in Gentoo. So I started my "emerge gentoo-sources" and I don't get much except the following which does not download the files and doen't install.

Code:
localhost src # emerge gentoo-sources
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r5 to /
>>> Resuming download...
>>> Downloading http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.17-6.base.tar.bz2
--18:40:02--  http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.17-6.base.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.17-6.base.tar.bz2'
Resolving distfiles.gentoo.org... 64.50.238.52, 64.50.236.52, 156.56.247.195, ...
Connecting to distfiles.gentoo.org|64.50.238.52|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
18:40:03 ERROR 404: Not Found.

It does this like 20 times checking other address with the same result untill I get the following

Code:
!!! Couldn't download genpatches-2.6.17-6.base.tar.bz2. Aborting.

As you can see i'm in a pickle on this problem...

Thanks in advance for any help...

davidmint
jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is searching for an old version of the kernel. Do an "emerge --sync" and try again. That will update your portage tree, then you can download a more recent version. :)
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's the last time you ran an
Code:
emerge --sync
? That's a fairly old kernel version, which has been removed from the portage tree.

Once you fix that, there are two approaches to building the kernel in Gentoo. One uses genkernel, which is generally much easier, but will build more modules than you actually need. The other is to configure your kernel by hand, which takes awhile the first time, but is pretty easy to keep up and running after that. It also has the advantage of taking (usually a lot) less time to build, since you won't be building nearly every module available.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r5 has been removed from the Portage tree, and apparently the mirrors have dropped the patches associated with that revision. You should run emerge --sync to update your Portage tree. After that, you should have an option to install sources from one of several newer, still supported ebuilds. At present, http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=sys-kernel lists sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r9 as the only available gentoo-sources for a 2.6.17 kernel. It is marked as testing, so you may need to set a package keyword to allow you to emerge it. Alternately, you can install one of the kernels considered stable, such as sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r13 or sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r5.
davimint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

So far I've "emerge --sync" which told me I need to "emerge portage" & "update all of the configuration files".

After running "emerge portage" the following info was at the end of the file.

Code:
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
portage: COUNTER for sys-kernel/livecd-kernel-2006.1 was corrupted; resetting to value of 0

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 285 info files.
 * IMPORTANT: 4 config files in /etc need updating.
 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

What's the deal with the "COUNTER" being corrupted and is that a big concern?

Also, after reading the "emerge --help --config info I have the follwing files to update

Code:
localhost ~ # find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
/etc/._cfg0000_DIR_COLORS
/etc/._cfg0000_etc-update.conf
/etc/._cfg0000_dispatch-conf.conf
/etc/._cfg0000_make.conf.example

What should one normaly do when presented with this... advise from more expericed users will be remembered.

davimint
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davimint wrote:
What's the deal with the "COUNTER" being corrupted and is that a big concern?

Also some advice or a good link to a howto doc on the /etc files would be appeciated.

The COUNTER message is coming from /usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py. It appears to be caused by having a non-numeric value in a file named COUNTER. I have never seen that message.

The two main methods of dealing with configuration changes in /etc are etc-update and dispatch-conf. The former is simplistic, but easy to use. I have never bothered with the latter, but from what I have read it will assist you with putting parts of /etc under version control. This should make it much easier to handle package updates when you have changed the installed configuration, and a new version also changes default values. Both have manpages, but feel free to ask for help if you have questions after reading the manpage.
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The counter issue is probably not a big deal, or portage would have aborted. I personally use dispatch-conf to keep track of config file changes, but etc-update works as well, as Hu mentioned. Either way, I recommend using colordiff to more easily see what is being changed. If you choose dispatch-conf, you should also emerge rcs, and enable it in /etc/dispatch-conf.conf, so that you can easily revert to older versions of a config file that you've accidentally broken.
davimint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was simple enough, almost.....

Three of the four files were automaticly udated leaving only the "DIR_COLORS" file which stated the following.

From the original file !!!!
Code:
# Configuration file for dircolors, a utility to help you set the
# LS_COLORS environment variable used by GNU ls with the --color option.
#
# You can copy this file to .dir_colors in your $HOME directory to override
# the system defaults.

After reading both files it appears to be a updated version so I went for it....

I really do appreciate the help, it's so nice to have someone to help me out and guide me along the way.

Thanks again.

davimint
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: