View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Gentoo on a Gateway Solo 2500 Reply with quote

I have an old Gateway Solo 2500 with a 2GB Hard drive. I have a netgear wireless-G card for it. Windows 2000 is installed on it right now. I really only use the thing for the occational homework assignment and for my dedicated chatting machine, and I run dnetc on it just because I can't let a 200Mhz processor go to waste. It actually has a ton of RAM for a system of its specs... 224MB of RAM. I want to put Gentoo on it, and use fluxbox, firefox, maybe open office, gaim, and maybe xmms because sometimes I listen to music on it too.

The only reason I want to do this is because this is the only system I can leave on without my parents getting pissed, and I believe gentoo would be most stable. But I don't know about the hard drive space. I had gentoo installed before my 10GB hard drive died, I had to put in the hard drive that came with it, oh well.

I suppose this operation would require all the space saving skill in linux there are. also, I want about 500MB free for misc. stuff. Also, do you think this wireless card work with the liveCD?

What do you all think?

Last edited by electrofreak on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
scarr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Gb would be fine. Of course, it depends on what you want to do with it.

You wouldn't be able to compile OpenOffice.org on it, but you could install the bin.

You will have to keep an eye on your distfiles folder so you have enough room for other stuff. Something else you could do is share the portage tree from one of your other computers on the network so you don't use any hard drive space on the Gb.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOmething else I wonder is if it'd be speed efective for me to do it. every other time I put linux on a slow computer, it sucked. But this is Gentoo, I plan on a stage1 install, since I have all the time in the world to set it up, becuz I don't need to have it avaliable any time. I have plenty of other computers. I was considering having distfiles as a network mount.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to waste your time on a stage1 install. I did a stage3 install for a friend who wanted to do similar things with his old pentium2 box. He was shocked by how fast everything was running.

If the wireless card needs ndiswrapper to work than forget about the livecd working with it.
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having distfiles as a network mount is a good idea, that'll certainly cut down on the space needed (and if you're using Gentoo on two computers it'll cut down on the amount of downloading you need to do as well.) One thing you might want to do is to try and do the installation in as many small steps as possible, and clean out /var/tmp/portage as often as possible. Make sure you DON'T use ccache as it is unlikely you will be compiling same package more than once.
scarr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux has usually run better on older hardware. Especially if I didn't setup a GUI.

Like I said before it depends on what you want to do with it, and it's speed. If you are planning on creating a PVR with playback ability, then no it wouldn't work, but an Email/web/print server would work great with most CPU and Memory configs.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarr wrote:
Linux has usually run better on older hardware. Especially if I didn't setup a GUI.

Like I said before it depends on what you want to do with it, and it's speed. If you are planning on creating a PVR with playback ability, then no it wouldn't work, but an Email/web/print server would work great with most CPU and Memory configs.

Well, it will have a GUI, but I will use the lightest WM I know (atleast the one I like), fluxbox. Nope, don't plan on a PVR.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing I wouldn't prelink the system ever, or you may corrupt everything... not that you said you were going to, but just something to keep in the back of your mind.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
Just one thing I wouldn't prelink the system ever, or you may corrupt everything... not that you said you were going to, but just something to keep in the back of your mind.

how could it corrupt everything?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:

From the prelinking guide:
Quote:
Warning: It has been observed that if you are low on disk space and you prelink your entire system then there is a possibility that your binaries may be truncated. The result being a b0rked system. Use the file or readelf command to check the state of a binary file. Alternatively, check the amount of free space on your harddrive ahead of time with df -h.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
electrofreak wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:

From the prelinking guide:
Quote:
Warning: It has been observed that if you are low on disk space and you prelink your entire system then there is a possibility that your binaries may be truncated. The result being a b0rked system. Use the file or readelf command to check the state of a binary file. Alternatively, check the amount of free space on your harddrive ahead of time with df -h.

Ok, thanks for the warning. I wonder what exactly "low" means... just for future reference on my desktop.

ANother question for the setup... is Pentium 2 MMX i586, or i686? I thought pentium 1 was i586, then everything above pentium1 was i686. But, then we got stuck at i686, so I just don't really know. Maybe even an explination of all these names would help. (I know i286-i486, they are slow!)
QV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I've done so before, for my uni's new Linux lab. The hard drive was actually 6GB, but we only had 2GB for Gentoo. Each machine would get a different distro, plus Fedora (so the machines would have a common distro if needed). We ended up having a 50MB boot partition (thanks to Fedora's over-bloated kernel), a 2GB partition for the machine's distro (Gentoo, in the case of the machine I set up), a 2GB partition for Fedora, and the rest would be divided between swap and /home (/home was separate so we could switch to NFS-mounting it later, once we got an NFS server set up on another machine).

It went fine, but here's one big hint: once the kernel is compiled and you've made sure you didn't make any mistakes with it, unmerge the kernel sources and delete whatever's left in /usr/src. Believe me, kernel sources eat up a massive amount of disk space--I wasn't able to compile Xorg, for disk space reasons, until I got rid of the kernel sources.

Another tip: if you have enough access to another machine to set up NFS on it, do so. I later got /var/tmp/portage NFS-mounted on the file server (we hadn't moved /home over tho, as we hadn't set up LDAP on all the machines yet, so I couldn't reclaim its space), so I was able to not worry about disk space when compiling. I mansged to get a full install of KDE 3.3 up and running, so you shouldn't have too much worries about space for applications, especially if you use something lighter (hint: if you really need the space, Fluxbox isn't bad).

Oh, and to answer your last question, the P2 is i686. Everything since the PPro has been i686, in fact. While the terminology is stuck at "i686", the actual processors aren't. The PPro, P2, P3, and PM all use the same basic subarchitecture, but the P4 doesn't. The P4's subarch really should be called i786, but for some unknown reason, isn't.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some sort of compressed hard drive?? is it worth it, or practical for speed? Under Windows, not too much hard drive read/writing goes on, mostly only when I'm opening firefox or gaim for the first time and of course booting. I guess it keeps firefox in the RAM becauze many times when I open a new firefox window, even after closing all firefox windows the process ends, it still does hardly any drive reading.

If it would be practical, how would I do about do this anyway. Thanks.
pmazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:
SOmething else I wonder is if it'd be speed efective for me to do it. every other time I put linux on a slow computer, it sucked. But this is Gentoo, I plan on a stage1 install, since I have all the time in the world to set it up, becuz I don't need to have it avaliable any time. I have plenty of other computers. I was considering having distfiles as a network mount.

Honestly, what else are you going to do with it? Windows on that computer would probably suck more. Granted, you could always use just the command prompt.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmazer wrote:
electrofreak wrote:

Honestly, what else are you going to do with it? Windows on that computer would probably suck more. Granted, you could always use just the command prompt.

Well, I've been running it on a knoppix CD all day and it seems much faster than windows. Things run smooth. THe only thing that slows it down is obviously the CD reading.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided on just doing a stage2 install. I can get most of the customizability I can get with stage1, so... that will do...

I still need input about the compressed file system. Would it do much good? And if so, how would I go about this? May just use the compressed filesystem for lesser important things. I dunno.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-Os
Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically increase code size. It also performs further optimizations designed to reduce code size.

-Os disables the following optimization flags:

-falign-functions -falign-jumps -falign-loops
-falign-labels -freorder-blocks -fprefetch-loop-arrays

If you use multiple -O options, with or without level numbers, the last such option is the one that is effective.

Should I use this in my cflags? I want this to be as stable as possible and I dunno if this will keep it stable.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:
Quote:
-Os
Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically increase code size. It also performs further optimizations designed to reduce code size.

If you use multiple -O options, with or without level numbers, the last such option is the one that is effective.

Should I use this in my cflags? I want this to be as stable as possible and I dunno if this will keep it stable.

I'd say try it out. I run "unstable" optimizations on my system and have no problems. I've never tried out -Os though.

What you could do is compile a package with -Os and then without it and check the size difference. I expect it to be pretty small, so if you were worried about it you minds well use regular optimizations instead... but like I said it's probably worthwhile to try it out.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
electrofreak wrote:
Quote:
-Os

I'd say try it out. I run "unstable" optimizations on my system and have no problems. I've never tried out -Os though.

What you could do is compile a package with -Os and then without it and check the size difference. I expect it to be pretty small, so if you were worried about it you minds well use regular optimizations instead... but like I said it's probably worthwhile to try it out.

I started last night, then gave it a break. I'm starting the boot strapping right now. I have a really good feeling this will take forever. I am using the -Os optimization.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current Status:

Nearly 4.5 hours into the bootstrapping. It's going great. Yes, very slow, but expected. The root partition itself is only 486M of 2G filled. I didn't create a swap partition because it has 224MB of RAM which is a lot for a computer of its specs. I'm pretty sure that it's not needed. If it is, i'll just dd a file to root and make a swap file. It's better that way because I can more easily manage my swap space or the lack of. I also found a guide that will help be with getting the sound working hopefully and it already has an X configuration file to use which seems pretty good. I'm heading to bed here soon and hopefully bootstrapping will be done by morning so I can start moving on to stage3 before school starts.

Here's my make file:
Code:
root@6[~]# cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="X aac aalib aim apache2 apm audiofile avi bash-completion bcmath bmp bzlib cups directfb divx4linux exif truetype foomaticdb flash ftp gd gif gphoto2 gtk gtk2 icq imagemagick imap inifile jabber java javascript jpeg libcaca libwww mad mmx mp3 mpeg msn opengl oscar ogg oggvorbis pdflib php png pnp samba sharedmem simplexml sndfile spell tiff usb wifi wavelan xine xml xml2 xmms xpm yahoo xlib"

PMT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips from someone who ran Gentoo on his Thinkpad R51 with a 2 GB HD for four months:
1) If you have a server or such, you can get away with storing the entire /usr/portage/ directory [EXCEPT distfiles/, that has to be a local folder] easily on a network filesystem [I used NFS, try what you wish], and symlinking the entire contents. That'll save some disk space. Failing that, you can just tar cjvf the entire /usr/portage folder and decompress it only when you absolutely need it.
2) Install only what you absolutely want. I know it's rather obvious, but installing kde is a waste of time if you just want kdebase. Packages build up fast.
3) Conversely, configure your USE flags to not install anything you don't absolutely want.
4) Regularly purge distfiles and temp files...especially /var/tmp/log and Mozilla tempfiles, they eat space like mad if you leave your system on for too long. Also, .xsession-errors sometimes fills with harmless complaints.
5) tar c[jz]vf is your friend. Use it on any documents you can.

That's about it. Oh, and keep a fully-featured [not just install, if you can avoid it] LiveCD handy, just in case.

EDIT: I just have to ask. Why are you running apache2 on a 2 GB hard drive? WHY?
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMT wrote:
Why are you running apache2 on a 2 GB hard drive? WHY?

I use mine for moving homework between home and school, and getting me comics every morning. You don't need a real reason to install things.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:
Current Status:
Nearly 4.5 hours into the bootstrapping. It's going great. Yes, very slow, but expected. The root partition itself is only 486M of 2G filled. I didn't create a swap partition because it has 224MB of RAM which is a lot for a computer of its specs. I'm pretty sure that it's not needed. If it is, i'll just dd a file to root and make a swap file.

Good job man, you're definately approaching this the right way.

As far as a compressed file system -- I wouldnt worry about it. My main concern would just be cleaning out distfiles and tmp crap on a regular basis, and you'll be fine.

And as long as you don't use KDE or Gnome you'll be good on WM space too. X is probably going to be a hog though. You should consider going all console. It's not all that bad, really. :)
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdibb wrote:

And as long as you don't use KDE or Gnome you'll be good on WM space too. X is probably going to be a hog though. You should consider going all console. It's not all that bad, really. :)

Actually, on my 233MHz iMac, X runs just fine with Openbox/Gentoo. I did a stage 3 install, of course. Remember, X ran fine years ago when processors were a lot slower. On the same computer, Gnome (Ubuntu) runs just fine (I'm not kidding, really). Only 160MB of RAM. People think X is slow, but it isn't. It really isn't.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
sdibb wrote:

Actually, on my 233MHz iMac, X runs just fine with Openbox/Gentoo. I did a stage 3 install, of course. Remember, X ran fine years ago when processors were a lot slower. On the same computer, Gnome (Ubuntu) runs just fine (I'm not kidding, really). Only 160MB of RAM. People think X is slow, but it isn't. It really isn't.

Actually I agree with you 100%. I meant X would be a hog as in hard drive space, not memory. :)

I run X on my laptop (pentium 2 300 mhz) and it runs just as fast as the one on my Athlon XP.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: