Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ATI radeon Sticky
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 74, 75, 76  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I haven't gotten any responses, so I just wanted to know, is there any hope for a dual monitor setup (two ATI Radeon cards) w/ working DRI? :(
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky wrote:
Hi, I haven't gotten any responses, so I just wanted to know, is there any hope for a dual monitor setup (two ATI Radeon cards) w/ working DRI? :(

From ATI's driver installation instructions:
Quote:
- Xinerama and DRI are mutual exclusive. Because of this Xinerama can not be enabled.

However, if you don't want Xinerama you may be able to get DRI working on both.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propheci wrote:
hi, i've followed the various directions in this thread but i'm still having trouble. here's roughly what i did. i have a radeon 9700 pro running on an intel 865.
Code:
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(EE) fglrx(0): board is third party board
(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENODEV"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP

so i guess my question is why is it looking at PCI:1:0:1 even though XF86Config has PCI:1:0:0? and i don't know what the deal is with the AGP, didn't do that until just now. thx.

A couple of ideas. What happens if you change BusID to PCI:1:0:1? Also, I'm guessing you didn't compile in support for the Intel 865 chipset under the AGPGART section, because it doesn't exist, at least in the gentoo-sources I looked at. You might need to give the kernel a parameter agp_try_unsupported=1, since you compiled AGPGART into the kernel. Do that in grub.conf or lilo.conf, the same line where you have root= etc. Or you could try removing AGPGART completely, because the ATI drivers supply their own AGP module if none exists.
propheci
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyderous wrote:
A couple of ideas. What happens if you change BusID to PCI:1:0:1? Also, I'm guessing you didn't compile in support for the Intel 865 chipset under the AGPGART section, because it doesn't exist, at least in the gentoo-sources I looked at. You might need to give the kernel a parameter agp_try_unsupported=1, since you compiled AGPGART into the kernel. Do that in grub.conf or lilo.conf, the same line where you have root= etc. Or you could try removing AGPGART completely, because the ATI drivers supply their own AGP module if none exists.

hi, thank you very much for all the ideas. i changed my BusID to PCI:1:0:1 and now startx reports:
Code:
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

as for agp_try_unsupported, lilo didn't like just adding it after root = ... i added the line 'append = "agp_try_unsupported=1"' to lilo.conf but i don't think it's being recognized (i did run lilo afterwards). here's what i see in the kernel logs.
Code:
agpgart: Unsupported Intel chipset (device id: 2570), you might want to try agp_try_unsupported=1.
agpgart: no supported devices found.

i haven't tried just completing removing agpgart from the kernel. maybe tomorrow.
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyderous wrote:

From ATI's driver installation instructions:
Quote:
- Xinerama and DRI are mutual exclusive. Because of this Xinerama can not be enabled.

However, if you don't want Xinerama you may be able to get DRI working on both.

Yes, I know this, but Xinerama isn't the only game in town for using two monitors, correct? I can get dual-monitors w/o Xinerama, but anything other than depth 8 locks up my computer immediately, and, of course, DRI also doesn't work in depth 8. :-/
tgz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be emerging xfree again tomorrow, should I just do emerge xfree, or should i do emerge xfree-4.3.0-r2, is there a difference between the two, and if so can someone explain the difference.

Thanks,

TGZ
Luud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For those who want XFree 4.3.0(-r2), ATI-Drivers-2.9.12 and dual-head, I suggest you take a look at:

Forum -> Multimedia

Topic -> dualhead with XFree86 4.3.0 and a Radeon 9700 pro

I just solved my dual head problem :lol: and posted as much info as possible describing how I got it fixed. It might help you as well.

Cheers,
Luud
soravok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my drivers working with the radeon 9000 but I'm having severe performance issues I can only seem to get glx gears to do about 1200 fps
my system specs are P4 2.4ghz 533 FSB, Asus p4s533, 512 DDR pc2700, Radeon 9000. I figure I should be atleast getting way more FPS than what I am getting.
Eyecannon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm having trouble getting X to work with my Radeon 7500 Mobility (M7)... the error I get in Xfree is:

Symbol drmGetClient from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o is unresolved!

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I have managed to fix the problem with a simple
Code:
load "drm"
in my XF86Config.
StuntRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propheci wrote:
spyderous wrote:

hi, thank you very much for all the ideas. i changed my BusID to PCI:1:0:1 and now startx reports:
Code:
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

as for agp_try_unsupported, lilo didn't like just adding it after root = ... i added the line 'append = "agp_try_unsupported=1"' to lilo.conf but i don't think it's being recognized (i did run lilo afterwards). here's what i see in the kernel logs.
Code:
agpgart: Unsupported Intel chipset (device id: 2570), you might want to try agp_try_unsupported=1.
agpgart: no supported devices found.

i haven't tried just completing removing agpgart from the kernel. maybe tomorrow.

What's your motherboard? I had an nforce mobo and had to download the latest drivers for it from thier website. Among them was a patch for my kernel, as well as a nforce agpgart module. Once I installed that, everything worked perfectly.
dnaquin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky wrote:
I can get dual-monitors w/o Xinerama, but anything other than depth 8 locks up my computer immediately, and, of course, DRI also doesn't work in depth 8. :-/

I'm having the same problem as Ricky. I have an AGP Radeon AIW 7500 64MB and a PCI Radeon 7500 64MB. I can get dual monitors working if I do not specify a DefaultDepth, but once I specify a DefaultDepth, XFree will just hang. Anyone know what I can do, I've been trying as much as I know how to.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Status of Mobility IGP / U1 cards direct rendering Reply with quote

To sum up the current status on IGP stuff,

2D acceleration is now supported (use any xfree-drm from -r3 up):
http://bugs.xfree86.org//cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=36

3D acceleration is not supported, but here's an idea:
http://bugs.xfree86.org//cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=314
Mike Harris wrote:
The problem isn't that 3D isn't supported by DRI, but rather that the Linux kernel does not yet support agpgart on Radeon IGP chipsets, and without working agpgart, you have no DRI. Theoretically it may be possible to use pcigart, by using ForcePCIMode, but I've no idea if there are other problems that would prevent that from working or not.

Edited 07/22/2003: Hui Yu of ATI recently posted very beta drivers to that bug that may work. Try them at your own risk, and if you post to the bug, be knowledgeable and post useful error messages such as the other posters have. Thanks!

Last edited by dberkholz on Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Status of Mobility IGP / U1 cards direct rendering Reply with quote

spyderous wrote:
To sum up the current status on IGP stuff,

2D acceleration is now supported (use any xfree-drm from -r3 up):
http://bugs.xfree86.org//cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=36

3D acceleration is not supported, but here's an idea:
http://bugs.xfree86.org//cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=314
Mike Harris wrote:
The problem isn't that 3D isn't supported by DRI, but rather that the Linux kernel does not yet support agpgart on Radeon IGP chipsets, and without working agpgart, you have no DRI. Theoretically it may be possible to use pcigart, by using ForcePCIMode, but I've no idea if there are other problems that would prevent that from working or not.

Is there any kind of beta or CVS agpgart code that might support IGP?
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Status of Mobility IGP / U1 cards direct rendering Reply with quote

paranode wrote:
Is there any kind of beta or CVS agpgart code that might support IGP?

Follow the 2.5 kernel changelogs on www.kernel.org to see if/when it's supported. Work isn't really being done on 2.4.
This guy is working on agpgart: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/

http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg11300.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg11191.html

For 2.5 kernels, use the kernel's DRM instead of the xfree-drm package if you're using an open-source DRM rather than ati-drivers.
saskatchewan46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Radeon 7500 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am having difficulties getting DRI enabled with my Radeon7500.
I have followed the steps in this forum and others,
1) Compile AGPART as module with VIA chipset
2) Removed DRM support from kernel
3) booted the compiled 2.4.21-ac4 kernel
4) emerge xfree-drm
5) edited the XF86Config to load dri, drm, and glx

glxinfo says Rendering: No
I notice that every time I try to emerge xfree-drm,
Quote:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-ac4/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.o
* USE is deprecated. Please set your video cards using VIDEO_CARDS.
* Possible VIDEO_CARDS values are matrox, 3dfx, rage128, radeon, sis, i810, i830, and gamma.

I have radeon included in USE flags, and even tried the VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

depmod also gives the error:
Quote:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-ac4/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.o

and this is from the XFree.0.log:

Quote:
(==) RADEON(0): Write-combining range (0xe0000000,0x4000000)
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: Open failed

Any ideas? Thanks. (sorry if this isn't proper, 'tis my first post)
stustill
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the latest versionof xfree-drm does not support kernel 2.4.21. Try using a 2.4.20 kernel. I recommend gaming-sources, with which I received much better performance than 2.4.20!

Stu
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is more likely in the 2.4.21 kernels, which left out some necessary functions. Try ac-sources-2.4.21-r4 or ac-sources-2.4.22_pre3-r1.
saskatchewan46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that, and let you guys know. Thanks.
stustill
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saskatchewan46 wrote:
I will try that, and let you guys know. Thanks.

Ohh, and you might want to add

VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

to your /etc/make.conf

Stu
saskatchewan46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after about 5 different kernel compiles, I still am unable to get drm to work. I tried to emerge both the gaming sources and gentoo sources but couldn't get the kernel to boot off of my HP372 Raid0 boot drive with either (panic). I even tried using the same .config from the working ac-kernel i am using.

I attempted to compile with the 2.4.22 ac pre release but I wasn't even able to get it to compile for some reason (***vmlinux failed***).

So I was able to compile and boot 2.4.21-rc7-ac1, but I get the same unresolved symbol radeon.o error when trying to emerge xfree-drm.

Is there a different kernel that supports HP372 raid controller and would allow me to get drm functioning?

Thanks again.
saskatchewan46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!! I got it. After some further forum searching, someone stated that the gs-sources support HPT372. I compiled 2.4.22_pre2-gss, booted it, then emerged xfree-drm-r2 and Rendering is now enabled and I have 850ish fps in gears.

Note: After compiling this kernel, I tried to emerge xfree-drm-r5 but I also got the same error "Unresolved symbol radeon.o". Maybe it wasn't a kernel issue but rather xfree-drm version issue? Dunno...
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, it's the kernel.
This line is missing from arch/i386/kernel/i386_ksyms.c

EXPORT_SYMBOL(mmu_cr4_features);

It comes in the section starting with:
/* platform dependent support */

Among other things. I'm trying to determine what those things are, and they're hidden somewhere in the 8MB diff between .21-ac3 and .21-ac4.
saskatchewan46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I still have some more tweaking to do. glxgears now measures 1050 FPS (screen maximized) after tweaking the XF86Config file, but tuxracer is still extremely choppy. I thought tuxracer would be a good 3D app to test my DRM with, so obviously my setup isn't working properly yet.

Maybe I'll try to patch the gaming sources for HPT370 controllers (I found it somewhere in the forum).

Quote:

Is that an option in the kernel config?
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saskatchewan46 wrote:
Quote:

Is that an option in the kernel config?

No. It's a line missing in a file I stated above.
Hysteric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Steps for a radeon 9000 pro Reply with quote

All I had to do for my radeon 9000 pro to work was to emerge xfree, then emerge xfree-drm, then in XF86Config, I need to tell X to use the driver radeon... That's all... But my 3d works great with tuxracer, ut, quake3, but when I get to new games like NWN and UT2003 it sucks big time... If someone has a clue...

BTW, my system can run those game without effort in windows, so this is not the hardware...

Hysteric
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 8 of 76

Jump to: