Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ATI radeon Sticky
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 74, 75, 76  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerebrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so being new to all this, im a little afraid of trying to compile x and install the drivers.

so after i compile using genkernel i should just do the following?

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge =ati-drivers-2.9.13-r1

is that right or should i just use emerge ati-driver

heres my config

athlonxp 2400+
512 mb ram
kt400 motherboard
9700 pro

thanks in advance,

Christian
Grilo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my kernel to the beta3 and i recompiled 3.2.4 and i can't get dri working again. anyone have thisl problem

Grilo
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the agp driver have support for your chipset?
if you modprobe agpgart, then dmesg, you should see some stuff about your agp driver.
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilo wrote:
I upgraded my kernel to the beta3 and i recompiled 3.2.4 and i can't get dri working again. anyone have thisl problem

Grilo

I have the same problem, as I posten above. AGP as a module, but it is still complaining about the agpdrivers.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca, do you use agpgart from ati? when running fglrxconfig it asks you wether you want to use the build in agpgart from ati, or an external agpgart. I don't run the 2.6.x kernel, just the standard gentoo-sources-r5 kernel, but the build in works great for me.

sorry if I'm saying something stupid. not into ati en linux for too long :)
antipop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting blank screen when trying to start X. I can't get back using Ctrl+Fn keys. I've read the HOWTO-thread, but it didn't help. Am I stuck without ATI binary drivers? I'd like to try the new tv-out feature of those.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerebrix wrote:
so after i compile using genkernel i should just do the following?

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge =ati-drivers-2.9.13-r1

That should work fine, but there's nothing to stop you trying 2.9.12 or 3.2.0 if you want to.

grilo wrote:

Like I said before, it works fine for me on 2.6.0-test3 and 2.6.0-test3-mm1. I can post my kernel config if that'd help.
If you've got agp support compiled as modules, try building it in. I always do that and I've never had this kind of problem. Does 3.2.0 work? Also check dmesg just after you load the module, sometimes you'll get warning or error messages there if something is wrong.

antipop wrote:
I'm getting blank screen when trying to start X. I can't get back using Ctrl+Fn keys. I've read the HOWTO-thread, but it didn't help. Am I stuck without ATI binary drivers? I'd like to try the new tv-out feature of those.

If you upgraded from a 2.9.x driver to a 3.2.x driver, try running fglrxconfig again, there are some extra options it adds to your XF86Config that might help. If that doesn't work, post your XFree log from one of the times that didn't work.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is up for some beta testing, there is a rather interesting post over at the Rage3D forums you might want to have a look at: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33703960
Grilo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have agp built in and my dmesg says everythign is fine.

should i have dri built in for these drivers.

Grilo
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilo wrote:
should i have dri built in for these drivers.

No, the only things you should have in selected in that section of the kernel config are agpgart support, and support for your motherboards agp chipset. If you've got any DRI stuff selected, remove it.
antipop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:

antipop wrote:

If you upgraded from a 2.9.x driver to a 3.2.x driver, try running fglrxconfig again, there are some extra options it adds to your XF86Config that might help. If that doesn't work, post your XFree log from one of the times that didn't work.

Here you go
http://www.hut.fi/~akaukone/XFree86.log
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a problem:
Code:
[drm] failed to load kernel module "agpgart"

Double check your current kernel config, and make sure the AGP options are correct. You should select
Code:
Character Devices ->  <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
and whichever AGP driver your motherboard needs. I don't usually use modules for these, I compile them in. Does it make a difference if you set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "no"?
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
Code:

Wedge_: I don't think this is a problem. I've always had this too since I began to use 2.6. It is because he probably has already loaded agpgart on startup: with newer modutils (module-init-tools) if you try to load a module which is already loaded an error message is produced. This did not happen with modutils for kernel 2.4: I think XFree tries to load agpgart on startup, but it is confused by an error message he does not expect.

Wedge_ wrote:

Double check your current kernel config, and make sure the AGP options are correct. You should select
Code:
and whichever AGP driver your motherboard needs.

Antipop: please also note that in kernel >2.5 agp support got split into two parts: one is the well known "agpgart" module, the other is a module which depends upon your hardware. Mine, e.g, is called "agp-via", since I have a via chipset on board. Both modules must be loaded in order to use AGP, and yours just looks like an AGP-related issue.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbird wrote:
Wedge_: I don't think this is a problem. I've always had this too since I began to use 2.6. It is because he probably has already loaded agpgart on startup: with newer modutils (module-init-tools) if you try to load a module which is already loaded an error message is produced. This did not happen with modutils for kernel 2.4: I think XFree tries to load agpgart on startup, but it is confused by an error message he does not expect.

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was affecting anything since he was using InternalAGPGART anyway.
antipop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No AGP errors anymore, I had forgotten to modprobe sis-agp.
http://www.hut.fi/~akaukone/XFree86.0.log
I can't really see what's wrong with it.

I'm using agpgart compiled in kernel, but I also tried it as module.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antipop wrote:
I can't really see what's wrong with it.

Yeah, it isn't too helpful when it just stops like that :) It doesn't make a difference whether "UseInternalAGPGART" is on or off? You could try 3.2.0, they're the latest official version, 3.2.4 are beta.
antipop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done many reboots and I'm 90% sure I've tried with UseInternalAGPGART on and off. I just emerged ati-drivers-3.2.0 and had no luck with it.
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antipop wrote:
I've done many reboots and I'm 90% sure I've tried with UseInternalAGPGART on and off. I just emerged ati-drivers-3.2.0 and had no luck with it.

MMhhh... you mentioned sis-agp.. Do you have a SIS chipset? G-Lite had some problems with an unsupported AGP chipsets made by SiS:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54793&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=450

Just look at G-Lite posts. I don't know if he was able to solve the problem, though...
xcham
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright people, I'm going to post here since I'm scratching my head.
I can't decide if it's a chipset problem (my AGP controller on the Intel 865PE chipset) or a card problem, but here goes.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=71171&highlight=radeon+9200 <-- this is my previous thread with all my sys info... basically neither the ati binary drivers nor the XFree-DRM drivers will work for me.

I'm driving myself nuts... can anyone help?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should generally remove all DRM stuff from your kernel when you're using ati-drivers, they tend to conflict. The warning about "No matching device ...", you can ignore, the same with "(EE) fglrx(0): board is third party board". I get it too (Hercules board), and everything works fine. It should really be a warning instead of an error. The xf86_ENODEV error usually means you don't have the correct AGP support either loaded as modules or compiled into the kernel, and as you say, in this case it might be because your AGP chipset is currently unsupported. You could try setting UseInternalAGPGART to on, but I doubt that'd help. Do the 2.6 kernels have better support for that chipset?
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbird wrote:
Wedge_ wrote:
Code:

Wedge_ wrote:

Code:
and whichever AGP driver your motherboard needs.

Antipop: please also note that in kernel >2.5 agp support got split into two parts: one is the well known "agpgart" module, the other is a module which depends upon your hardware. Mine, e.g, is called "agp-via", since I have a via chipset on board. Both modules must be loaded in order to use AGP, and yours just looks like an AGP-related issue.

This could be the problem, as I didn't know this had to be done. I had just loaded the AGPGart module, not the nforce-agp module. Next time I have to better research a new kernel when I try it ;)
I'll try this, when KDE from CVS finishes building, and I can reboot to the new kernel.
Many thanks!

Maybe something for in the Documentation and FAQ thread about the binary Ati-drivers?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd definitely be worth trying again. This is why I compile everything I can into the kernel, so I don't have to worry about loading modules :D I think it would be a good addition to the HOWTO thread.
G-LiTe`
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbird wrote:
Just look at G-Lite posts. I don't know if he was able to solve the problem, though...

Nah no fix. We'll have to wait either for SiS to release some official drivers or some kernel hacker to... well.. start hacking. ;)
I've been keeping an eye on it for months. It's going slow, let me tell you.
The chip involved is the SiS 5591/5592 btw, it's mentioned in the kernel config. There was a message somewhere in 2.6's changelogs that SiS 648 is supported. The question is, was thet the chip or the chipset? Because my chipset is SiS 648. ;)
But as long as I have to use agp_try_unsupported=1 it'll probably stink. :?
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works! Now I have a beautiful KDE from CVS, with a nice 2.6.0test3 kernel beneath it, and 3D acceleration using the 3.2.4 drivers!

Now, only the framebuffer has to work with the new kernel, and I have everything working, but then bleeding edge.

:D :D
Many thanks!
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca wrote:
It works! Now I have a beautiful KDE from CVS, with a nice 2.6.0test3 kernel beneath it, and 3D acceleration using the 3.2.4 drivers!

Now, only the framebuffer has to work with the new kernel, and I have everything working, but then bleeding edge.

:) The vesa framebuffer works fine, but AFAIK the radeon framebuffer still doesn't work (if anyone knows differently please tell me, I'd like to try it).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 21 of 76

Jump to: