View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksp7498
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

I've recently (at the advice of others on this forum) been toying with fvwm and I really like it. More than my trusty blackbox, I must say. But there's just one configuration thing that I can't figure out: how do I make the maximization button (far right side of the titlebar) actually maximize the window? I started with the default config and I've gotten it setup very nicely, but this is one thing I can't figure out. In my .fvwm2rc I have

Code:
Mouse 0 2       A       FuncFvwmMaximize

but when I click on the button it doesn't maximize. It gets bigger, but it doesn't maximize. In fact, it seems rather random and arbitrary how much bigger the window gets. But if I hit "(Un)Maximize" from the window menu then it maximizes and unmaximizes just fine. How can I make the button on the titlebar do that?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

ksp7498 wrote:
I've recently (at the advice of others on this forum) been toying with fvwm and I really like it. More than my trusty blackbox, I must say. But there's just one configuration thing that I can't figure out: how do I make the maximization button (far right side of the titlebar) actually maximize the window? I started with the default config and I've gotten it setup very nicely, but this is one thing I can't figure out. In my .fvwm2rc I have

Code:

but when I click on the button it doesn't maximize. It gets bigger, but it doesn't maximize. In fact, it seems rather random and arbitrary how much bigger the window gets. But if I hit "(Un)Maximize" from the window menu then it maximizes and unmaximizes just fine. How can I make the button on the titlebar do that?

It's hard to guess without actually seeing your FuncFvwmMaximize function. It must be somewhere in your configuration file. Post it here so we can review it.
ksp7498
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh whoops sorry, I thought I had posted it too. Here it is. It's the one that comes in the default config, I haven't touched it at all. Problem is the syntax doesn't seem very intuitive. :?

Code:
DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMaximize
AddToFunc FuncFvwmMaximize
+ M Maximize   0 100
+ H Maximize   0 100
+ C Maximize   0  80
+ D Maximize 100 100

ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

ksp7498 wrote:
In my .fvwm2rc I have
Code:
Does it work if you replace FuncFvwmMaximize by Maximize toggle.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

ksp7498 wrote:
Oh whoops sorry, I thought I had posted it too. Here it is. It's the one that comes in the default config, I haven't touched it at all. Problem is the syntax doesn't seem very intuitive. :?

Code:
+ M Maximize   0 100
+ H Maximize   0 100
+ C Maximize   0  80
+ D Maximize 100 100

I don't know who wrote that function, but it seems a bit weird in my humble opinion.

This means:
-on move, maximize vertically
-on hold, maximize vertically
-on click, maximize vertically, but only to 80% of the total height
-on double click, maximize completelly

Weird enough. Probably, all you need is this:

Code:

+ C Maximize

ppurka wrote:
ksp7498 wrote:
In my .fvwm2rc I have
Code:

"toggle" is not needed since it's the default. Anyway, there's a little annoyance of using the Maximize command directly: if you click, and before releasing the button you realize that's not what you wanted, and move it out of the button, it will still maximize. That won't happen if you use the command wrapped into a function, that's why most people wrap those commands into little functions.
ksp7498
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
ksp7498 wrote:
In my .fvwm2rc I have
Code:

beautiful, thank you so much. As simple as that was it would have taken me forever to figure out the proper syntax. :)

EDIT: oh thank you very much for the explanation as well, i92guboj. I see what you mean about the little annoyance of using maximize directly in the config. I will try your suggestion to polish out the kinks in it. Thank you very much to the both of you.
ksp7498
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your suggestion worked perfectly i92guboj. :)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

ksp7498 wrote:

beautiful, thank you so much. As simple as that was it would have taken me forever to figure out the proper syntax. :)

The fvwm man page is big, but it's worth reading it. Lots of examples there.

You should also read the FAQ on the fvwm web site.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
I don't know who wrote that function, but it seems a bit weird in my humble opinion.

Not at all. Read again what it's doing, and see how it's applied. It's very useful with a lot of X applications. If you want to know where it's implemented, it's in $(fvwm-config -d)/FvwmConfigSetup, of course.

i92guboj wrote:

That won't happen if you use the command wrapped into a function, that's why most people wrap those commands into little functions.

Aside from functions grabbing the mouse, the fundamental reason is so that context is ensured.

Oh, and having already explained this to the OP in some random private message, I am more than pissed off that my efforts should have to be duplicated here as well. Not to mention you've also unknowingly wasted your time.

-- Thomas Adam
ksp7498
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: fvwm maximization? Reply with quote

[quote="ThomasAdam"]
i92guboj wrote:

Oh, and having already explained this to the OP in some random private message, I am more than pissed off that my efforts should have to be duplicated here as well. Not to mention you've also unknowingly wasted your time.

-- Thomas Adam

I pm'd you because I know that you're very knowlegeable about fvwm, and I started this thread to share my experience in case anyone else needed the advice or had any other possible solutions. I didn't know it was such a big deal. Jeez. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: