Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[einit] 0.21.0 -- now with gentoo-compat-0.99.0 (superseded)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modified_bessel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to finish off a complete einit-booted gentoo system, and evidently there is one (hopefully) small problem that remains: I am using xorg and have DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" set in rc.conf. xdm is loaded in default runlevel. The problems are: (1) the system tends to reboot every other time I cold-start, and (2) when it does start, kdm takes about 7 seconds longer to load than booting from init. The pertinent portion of local.xml is

Code:
   <prefer>
   <xdm s="daemon-kdm:daemon-entrance" />
   <syslog s="daemon-metalog" />
  </prefer>

and wonder if you can offer some advice. I am using einit version 0.20. I recall some issues much earlier being discussed, but I cannot now seem to find them in the forum threads...... Thanks in advance!
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must've missed out on something when creating the 0.20.0 release... sporadic reboots are usually only called by kernel panics, which may occur when init segfaults or otherwise terminates -- i suppose it would be a good idea to trap a segfault and have a crash report generated whenever this occurs...

kdm might only appear to be loading slower because something else is being done in the background while it's loading... or, did you mean to say that the time between grub and kdm allowing logins is longer? i've noticed gdm loading quite slow a couple of times, but that was due to an fsck on a non-critical partition that was started in parallel with gdm :)

EDIT: I've also noticed a few scripts and programs (most notably gdm...) initiating a reset whenever the utmp file isn't being cleaned by the init -- maybe that's what's causing trouble ;). to have einit (hopefully) clean the file, add the "utmp" service to your list. (if it's already in, then maybe i forgot to add some before="" attribute to that... hmm...).

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
i must've missed out on something when creating the 0.20.0 release... sporadic reboots are usually only called by kernel panics, which may occur when init segfaults or otherwise terminates -- i suppose it would be a good idea to trap a segfault and have a crash report generated whenever this occurs...

kdm might only appear to be loading slower because something else is being done in the background while it's loading... or, did you mean to say that the time between grub and kdm allowing logins is longer? i've noticed gdm loading quite slow a couple of times, but that was due to an fsck on a non-critical partition that was started in parallel with gdm :)

EDIT: I've also noticed a few scripts and programs (most notably gdm...) initiating a reset whenever the utmp file isn't being cleaned by the init -- maybe that's what's causing trouble ;). to have einit (hopefully) clean the file, add the "utmp" service to your list. (if it's already in, then maybe i forgot to add some before="" attribute to that... hmm...).

or you could run var/tmp in tmpfs and never worry about a dirty utmp file
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modified_bessel wrote:
Trying to finish off a complete einit-booted gentoo system, and evidently there is one (hopefully) small problem that remains: I am using xorg and have DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" set in rc.conf. xdm is loaded in default runlevel. The problems are: (1) the system tends to reboot every other time I cold-start, and (2) when it does start, kdm takes about 7 seconds longer to load than booting from init. The pertinent portion of local.xml is

Code:
   <prefer>
  </prefer>

and wonder if you can offer some advice. I am using einit version 0.20. I recall some issues much earlier being discussed, but I cannot now seem to find them in the forum threads...... Thanks in advance!
I did notice that xorg seems to start much slower if a network interface hasn't been activated. I really don't know why, as it shouldn't be accessing the network at all, but I get much faster starts from X if I've got network connectivity :/
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
modified_bessel wrote:

Code:
   <prefer>
  </prefer>

I did notice that xorg seems to start much slower if a network interface hasn't been activated. I really don't know why, as it shouldn't be accessing the network at all, but I get much faster starts from X if I've got network connectivity :/

hmm, I wonder if there is a setting we can disable, i've noticed the startup time for X not being constant, im going to look into that
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be that, since it's starting in parallel, that sometimes X is going up after an NIC module or something similar, and sometimes before -- that's the problem with parallelisation, the exact order is kinda random... but i DID also have something in the back of my head about X relying on the network...

mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with 993 i moved the stdin="" and stdout="" attributes to stdio=""... still looking into the nvram issue, but i think i found a culprit

rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright people I created a readahead module for einit, please test it out.... you will need emerge einit with the EINIT_EXPERIMENTAL="readahead".... also you will need:
Code:
 <configuration>
  <system>
   <readahead s="/etc/readahead-list/einit" />
  </system>
 </configuration>

example list generator:
list="xscreensaver emerald dhclient beryl-manager nautilus gnome-panel ssh-agent dbus-daemon dbus-launch NetworkManager dh
cdbd hald hellanzb.py nmbd acpid cupsd metalog udevd agetty bash hostname mkdir mount true gaim X Xgl gnome-session"; for a in $list; do echo `which $a`; ldd `which $a` | cut -d " " -f3; done | sort | uniq > /etc/readahead-list/einit

rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
   <interfaces>
    <eth1 ip="dhclient" />
    <eth1-wpa_supplicant driver="wext" config="/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" />
   </interfaces>

<shell-template id="template-shell-net-wpa_supplicant"
     name="Network (${interface}, wpa_supplicant)"
     provides="net-${interface}"
     requires="modules"
     prepare="sleep 3"
     enable="pexec-options no-pipe; wpa_supplicant -D ${configuration_network_interfaces_${interface}_wpa_supplicant_driver} -i ${interface} -c ${configuration_network_interfaces_${interface}_wpa_supplicant_config} -w -B;
   wpa_cli -i ${interface} -B; einit-control rc ${configuration_network_interfaces_${interface}_ip}-${interface} enable&amp;"
     disable="/bin/true"
     variables="configuration-network-interfaces-${interface}/.*:configuration-network-interfaces-${interface}-wpa_supplicant/.*" />

<shell-template id="template-shell-net-pump"
     name="Network (${interface}, pump)"
     provides="pump-${interface}"
     requires="net-${interface}"
     enable="pump -i ${interface}"
     disable="pump -r ${interface}" />

<shell id="shell-net-pump-eth1"
     based-on-template="template-shell-net-pump"
     interface="eth1" />

<shell-template id="template-shell-net-dhcpcd"
     name="Using 'dhcpcd' to manage ip addresses for interface ${interface}"
     provides="dhcpcd-${interface}"
     enable="dhcpcd ${interface}"
     disable="dhcpcd -k ${interface}" />

<shell id="shell-net-dhcpcd-eth1"
     based-on-template="template-shell-net-dhcpcd"
     interface="eth1" />

<shell-template id="template-shell-net-dhclient"
     name="Using 'dhclient' to manage ip addresses for interface ${interface}"
     provides="dhclient-${interface}"
     enable="dhclient ${interface}"
     disable="/bin/true" />

<shell id="shell-net-dhclient-eth1"
     based-on-template="template-shell-net-dhclient"
     interface="eth1" />

mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just made a new 0.21.0 release since the svn didn't kill people's BIOSes anymore... thought i'd point that out here in the thread...

anyone still interested in the "module wiki"? ;)

StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger, you rock: einit is awesomely fast. But how about a stable branch for those of us not daring enough to face the risk of such bugs as lack of umounting and BIOS-frying and so on?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
mdeininger, you rock: einit is awesomely fast. But how about a stable branch for those of us not daring enough to face the risk of such bugs as lack of umounting and BIOS-frying and so on?

heh, thank you... well, the releases should actually be stable and the svn should be unstable... i'm usually quite conservative about creating a release and i'm testing all of them on my main development machine to catch as many bugs as somewhat possible -- which is why i was quite confused to see a bug like *that* bios thing ;)

i wish sf.net would offer version control though git, then at least branches would be easy (they're kind of painful with svn...)

UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
alright people I created a readahead module for einit, please test it out.... you will need emerge einit with the EINIT_EXPERIMENTAL="readahead".... also you will need:
Code:
 <configuration>
  <system>
   <readahead s="/etc/readahead-list/einit" />
  </system>
 </configuration>

example list generator:
list="xscreensaver emerald dhclient beryl-manager nautilus gnome-panel ssh-agent dbus-daemon dbus-launch NetworkManager dh
cdbd hald hellanzb.py nmbd acpid cupsd metalog udevd agetty bash hostname mkdir mount true gaim X Xgl gnome-session"; for a in $list; do echo `which $a`; ldd `which $a` | cut -d " " -f3; done | sort | uniq > /etc/readahead-list/einit
To be perfectly honest, I've never found that much advantage to using read-ahead :?
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll give this a try soon. Congratulations on einit getting into the Portage tree! :)
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, just noticed 0.21.0 is in portage :)
thanks vapier if you're reaidng this ;)

UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't - but you can tell him yourself in irc if you like :)
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't - but you can tell him yourself in irc if you like :)
lol, now i remember... IRC!
gotta get on before people start beating me again ;)

mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all SVN users (and probably for 0.21.1+):
there's a lot of changes and restructuring going down with the configuration files right now... especially splitting modules into a lot of small and nice to read and manage pieces, 'cause the big file is gettin' a pita.

while we're at it, the service "xdm" is now "displaymanager"... so, need to update that.

EDIT: i forgot, your /etc/fstab is now used by default, and nodes anywhere in your configuration files (i.e. local.xml) will override entries in /etc/fstab.

rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its probably easier to say what changed is this:
Code:

<prefer>
   <xdm s="daemon-kdm:daemon-entrance:daemon-xdm" />
  </prefer>

changed to this:
Code:

<prefer>
   <displaymanager s="daemon-kdm:daemon-entrance:daemon-xdm" />
  </prefer>

modified_bessel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
UberPinguin wrote:
modified_bessel wrote:

Code:
   <prefer>
  </prefer>

hmm, I wonder if there is a setting we can disable, i've noticed the startup time for X not being constant, im going to look into that

rmh3093, UberPinguin, mdeininger:

I have changed one of the above lines to

Code:
   <prefer>
   <xdm s="daemon-kdm:daemon-entrance:daemon-xdm" />
  </prefer>

and the arbitrary re-boot problem disappeared for about 10 boots, and has now returned, but less frequent. Bizarre.... Seems like any changes made to non-einit booted system takes several boots to restabilize under einit..

However, the (very) slow kde startup is a problem:

--------------------------------------sysvinit boot-----einit boot
Grub to start X black screen-----------34s---------------14s
Start X to final KDE load----------------13s--------------22s
Total load---------------------------------47s---------------36s

Shutdown (halt) from KDE--------------14s---------------6s

Now it is clear that with the X/KDE thing fixed (9 seconds lost!), this will be a spectacular boot! (~27s to KDE ??...) (and all this is on a flash card!)

I tried disconnecting the ethernet cable, then unloading net.lo and net.eth0 with rc-update, but this made no difference at all. Can I disable einit's eth0 in my local.xml to test this further?

Thanks for all you advice so far! Very impressive work, and congrats for getting 0.20 into portage.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modified_bessel wrote:
Now it is clear that with the X/KDE thing fixed (9 seconds lost!), this will be a spectacular boot! (~27s to KDE ??...) (and all this is on a flash card!)

this also happens with gdm.... its been pissing me off, I cant figure it out
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works fine here, no idea why it would do that... maybe it's something to do with dbus, i think both gdm and kdm use that, don't they?

modified_bessel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
modified_bessel wrote:

this also happens with gdm.... its been pissing me off, I cant figure it out

I really hope I have not provoked the Wizard; but I have seen him do many miracles, pissed or not!

Bonne chance, et, "A bottle of very nice bourgogne" for you guys when you resolve this! (Tomorrow? Hee?) Merci!
I know you are all at least as fast as the new TGV, so quit wasting time!

All the best! Continue...!
modified_bessel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
works fine here, no idea why it would do that... maybe it's something to do with dbus, i think both gdm and kdm use that, don't they?

dbus has always reported an error when trying to load it by enit; I have therefore disabled it in local.xml, and all works fine subsequently in kde (when it finally loads!). The problem might therefore lie therein, as you suspect. Should I load dbus with einit or not? It seems to be active (it has to be!) in kde, but not as a loaded service........? (as reported by # rc-update -s)
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modified_bessel wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

dbus has always reported an error when trying to load it by enit; I have therefore disabled it in local.xml, and all works fine subsequently in kde (when it finally loads!). The problem might therefore lie therein, as you suspect. Should I load dbus with einit or not? It seems to be active (it has to be!) in kde, but not as a loaded service........? (as reported by # rc-update -s)
that might actually be the thing there...

kde will load a "user instance" of dbus if i'm not mistaken, maybe it's taking longer since the "system instance" is not around (which is what einit should get up...)...

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: