Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[einit] 0.21.0 -- now with gentoo-compat-0.99.0 (superseded)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: [einit] 0.21.0 -- now with gentoo-compat-0.99.0 (superseded) Reply with quote

oi everyone, einit 0.20.0 is out, so here we go with a new thread :D

just like last time there's been lots of cleanups, bugfixes, worked out bugtracker entries... this time i also revamped most of the build system -- einit even seems to build (and work, in sandbox mode) fine on x86 freebsd :)

Also, Ryan made a lot of improvements to the ebuild, so that now you can select which modules to build and I kept that for the new 0.20.0 ebuilds. Go Ryan! :)

linky:
http://einit.sourceforge.net/

Documentation:
http://einit.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/ (needs updating, included in the main distribution with the +doc flag)
http://wiki.jyujin.de

IRC:
irc.freenode.net#einit

PS.: I added mailing lists on sf.net... not sure if anyone likes 'em, but it can't hurt to have them around ;)

EDIT: don't forget about layman now, having the overlay around is quite a nice thing -- instructions on the wiki :)

EDIT.2: *cough* the BIOS bug is reported to be fixed, thus the fast new 0.21.0 release. don't forget to update -- it never occured on my box, but it's reported not to occur with the latest svn, thus the 0.21.0 release. yeah, i'm faster and off university work for at least 3 weeks from now on ;).

EDIT.3: baselayout-2 is in portage (go baselayout team! go UberLord! *cheers*), so now the gentoo-compat module works quite nicely. emerge einit-modules-gentoo off the overlay and get amazing features like /etc/init.d/X (start|stop|status) and native support for these scripts through einit (well, okay, maybe not that amazing, but it's definitely handy ;)).

EDIT.4: superseded, see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-555649.html

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )

Last edited by mdeininger on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
jvale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged the SVN version and when I run 'einit --wtf' I get this error:
Code:

serenity jvale # einit --wtf
eINIT 0.21.0-svn-984: Initialising: Linux
 >> initialising in-core modules:
 * module "module-so"
 * module "module-logic-v3"
 * module "bootstrap-configuration-xml-expat"
 * module "bootstrap-configuration-stree"
 * module "log"
 * module "linux-sysconf"
 * module "linux-mount"
 * module "linux-process"
 >> parsing "/lib/einit/einit.xml".
 >> parsing "/etc/einit/local.xml".
 ** updating modules (module-so)
 >> updating modules in "/lib/einit/modules/".
 >> :253(read_metadata_linux): opening file failed. (System Error #123 [No medium found])
 * module: shell-unicode: undefined variable: configuration-system-setfont/ttys
 * module: shell-net-ath0: undefined node: configuration-kernel-module-ath0
 * module: shell-net-ath0: undefined node: configuration-network-wireless-ssid
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's okay, nothing tragic in there...

the only actual error is
Code:
 >> :253(read_metadata_linux): opening file failed. (System Error #123 [No medium found])

but that just means that the mounter tried to identify the filesystem in your cd/dvd drive and it couldn't open that as there was no medium in there, no need to worry =)

these notices:
Code:
 * module: shell-unicode: undefined variable: configuration-system-setfont/ttys
 * module: shell-net-ath0: undefined node: configuration-kernel-module-ath0
 * module: shell-net-ath0: undefined node: configuration-network-wireless-ssid

mean you may or may not have forgotten to add some new nodes to your local.xml (the ones mentioned) -- you can check your local.xml.example and copy the defaults from there :)

(none of these are critical, or even major though)

jvale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Pasted too much info. :P
Actually I was just talking about the
Code:

But I'm glad it's just minor stuff.

Interesting thing: I managed to emerge einit at the same time you were updating the repository. I got a segfault while emerging it. :roll:
Emerged it again and everything was fine. ^^
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvale wrote:
Hm. Pasted too much info. :P
Actually I was just talking about the
Code:

But I'm glad it's just minor stuff.

Interesting thing: I managed to emerge einit at the same time you were updating the repository. I got a segfault while emerging it. :roll:
Emerged it again and everything was fine. ^^

:lol: omg, i have no idea how *that* happened? :)

well, reporting this kind of errors was actually requested...
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1658023&group_id=159321&atid=811366

apparently, completely dropping non-critical errors (even if they aren't errors) isn't acceptable... :-/

jvale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I valgrind'ed 'einit --wtf' and it reported quite a few leaks. After browsing einit's source I'm not sure about the accuracy though, as valgrind's backtraces don't seem very complete. They're only showing where the lost memory was allocated.

Anyway, here it is: http://pastebin.ca/411990
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvale wrote:
I valgrind'ed 'einit --wtf' and it reported quite a few leaks. After browsing einit's source I'm not sure about the accuracy though, as valgrind's backtraces don't seem very complete. They're only showing where the lost memory was allocated.

Anyway, here it is: http://pastebin.ca/411990

i admit that einit does have a large number of memory leaks at the moment :oops:

it doesn't hog on any resources that the system wouldn't be able to get back from einit after killing it, though, so that should be okay. glibc actually does the same thing (i.e. purposefully not cleaning up after itself), because the OS will deallocate all the used memory after a process dies.
then again, i think the cleanup() function of einit is actually not called at all, that should clean a lot of the leaked memory...

(i'm using valgrind to stress-test einit for overflows while developing, btw... great tool, i really miss it on darwin :))

jack_mort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I wanted to try einit for a while and today I did it ! But it seems I've gone wrong somewhere or I didn't open my eyes but I can't seem to make it work with my lvm system which is booting via an initrd... Has someone made einit work with lvm partitions ?

Thanks and anyway, keep up the good work !
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_mort wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to try einit for a while and today I did it ! But it seems I've gone wrong somewhere or I didn't open my eyes but I can't seem to make it work with my lvm system which is booting via an initrd... Has someone made einit work with lvm partitions ?

Thanks and anyway, keep up the good work !

aw my, i'm not sure... there's an example line for a mountpoint in einit.xml that you could use as a template for this kind of operation... haven't tested this yet though :/

i'll try to set up a qemu box to play with lvm and udev a bit... can't promise anything right now though :(

UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
i'll try to set up a qemu box to play with lvm and udev a bit... can't promise anything right now though :(
FWIW, I've found VirtualBox to be much faster/more stable than qemu or kqemu.
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
jack_mort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I found how to use einit with an initrd image : you must pass
Code:
real_init=/sbin/einit
to your bootloader and not
Code:
init=/sbin/einit

Sorry for the buzz :oops:
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

can't say I'd have had stability issues with qemu yet... yeah, it's slow, but it's interesting how easy it is to test different architectures with it... :)

jack_mort wrote:
Well... I found how to use einit with an initrd image : you must pass
Code:
real_init=/sbin/einit
to your bootloader and not
Code:
init=/sbin/einit

Sorry for the buzz :oops:

wait... it works like that?

if so, that really needs to get into the wiki :)

UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
UberPinguin wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

can't say I'd have had stability issues with qemu yet... yeah, it's slow, but it's interesting how easy it is to test different architectures with it... :)

Yeah, the multiple architecture support is neat. I just think that it's absurd that the thing is practically unusable on a 2.0Ghz/1GiB machine. I was also disappointed to find that I couldn't actually emulate a Mac with it - I had fantasies of running OSX for educational purposes :/
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
jack_mort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:

Yeah it works like that ^^

Well in fact I just made it boot with einit :-) Now I need to configure einit to suite my needs, but einit is now able to boot my computer ! Btw, I saw some things about kdm or gdm in config file but I'm using Slim, is there a way to tell einit which session manager is used ? (It tells me it could not start gdm or kdm).

Sorry if my question has already been asked
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
mdeininger wrote:
UberPinguin wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

Yeah, the multiple architecture support is neat. I just think that it's absurd that the thing is practically unusable on a 2.0Ghz/1GiB machine. I was also disappointed to find that I couldn't actually emulate a Mac with it - I had fantasies of running OSX for educational purposes :/

yeah can run OSX natively though... with the right version... leopard will definitely run on x86 when its out you just need a cpu with sse3

... kvm is only useful on a cpu that supports it, if not you are better to use the kqemu accelerator. that might be why your 2ghz machine seems slow
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_mort wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

Yeah it works like that ^^

Well in fact I just made it boot with einit :-) Now I need to configure einit to suite my needs, but einit is now able to boot my computer ! Btw, I saw some things about kdm or gdm in config file but I'm using Slim, is there a way to tell einit which session manager is used ? (It tells me it could not start gdm or kdm).

Sorry if my question has already been asked
Sure. Assuming that slim is a daemon that starts its own X server (á la entranced):
    /etc/einit/local.xml in <services><virtual><module>:
    <daemon id="daemon-slim"
         name="XDM (Slim)"
         provides="xdm:x11"
         requires="net-lo:video:mount/critical:xfs"
         command="/path/to/slim -args"
         restart="yes"
         DISPLAY=":0.0"
        HOME="/root" />
    /etc/einit/local.xml in <services><prefer>:
    <xdm s="daemon-entranced" />
If Slim is just a login manager that needs an existing X session (á la entrance):
    /etc/einit/local.xml in <services><virtual><module>:
    <daemon id="daemon-slim"
         name="XDM (Slim)"
         provides="xdm"
         requires="x11"
         command="/path/to/slim -args"
         restart="yes"
         DISPLAY=":0.0"
         HOME="/root" />
    /etc/einit/local.xml in <services><prefer>:
    <xdm s="daemon-entranced" />

UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
yeah can run OSX natively though... with the right version... leopard will definitely run on x86 when its out you just need a cpu with sse3

... kvm is only useful on a cpu that supports it, if not you are better to use the kqemu accelerator. that might be why your 2ghz machine seems slow
Not using kvm ('cause my proc doesn't support it) - the slowness was in kqemu. I'm using VirtualBox right now, which is worlds faster than kqemu. Perhaps I'll pick up a copy of Leopard, but I still have to support some Panther users, so it'd be nice to be able to run that too. I may hunt around for an x86 version of Tiger, but I'd rather not buy it as I already have the ppc version of Tiger and OSX Server.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_mort: that's pretty good news, i'll be sure to update the wiki over that :)

what uberpinguin posted should get you going... basically, you'd need to add a new module that starts your DM/SM, then select that by "preferring" it. i think uberpinguin summed that up nicely :)

EDIT: can't say I'd have much trouble with qemu+kqemu on my x2... x86 freebsd runs fast enough to actually install stuff through ports :D
on the other hand, you really have to make sure it's actually *using* kqemu -- took me ages to figure out that i had to call a different binary for it to use kqemu, and i kept wondring why the hell it ran so slow :-/

jack_mort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers and your explanations, I'll now have take some time to make my computer nicely boot with einit :-)
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
jack_mort: that's pretty good news, i'll be sure to update the wiki over that :)

what uberpinguin posted should get you going... basically, you'd need to add a new module that starts your DM/SM, then select that by "preferring" it. i think uberpinguin summed that up nicely :)

EDIT: can't say I'd have much trouble with qemu+kqemu on my x2... x86 freebsd runs fast enough to actually install stuff through ports :D
on the other hand, you really have to make sure it's actually *using* kqemu -- took me ages to figure out that i had to call a different binary for it to use kqemu, and i kept wondring why the hell it ran so slow :-/
Hmmmm. What binary was that? I thought that by just having kqemu modprobed it would work.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

Hmmmm. What binary was that? I thought that by just having kqemu modprobed it would work.

well, on my box i had to use 'qemu-system-x86_64' to get it working (since i'm on an x2 in 64bit mode), simply 'qemu' didn't work... i had originally thought it'd just use it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. when your qemu is up, focus it and hit ctrl+alt+2, then type "info kqemu", that'll show you if it's actually using kqemu =)

rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus: is there really any circumstance where stdin!=stdout for feedback-visual? could these be combined into 1 variable? and, can you make broadcast-constraints ignore the stdin variable instead of hardcoding the removal of tty9
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Magnus: is there really any circumstance where stdin!=stdout for feedback-visual? could these be combined into 1 variable? and, can you make broadcast-constraints ignore the stdin variable instead of hardcoding the removal of tty9

you're perfectly right, it'd probably better to replace stdin= + stdout= with something like stdio="". :)

the thing with the broadcast-constraints is just temporary and more of a quick fix; i'll need to rewrite that code to not scan through all of /dev and send messages to the ttys, but to instead use utmp or something like that to find all the active sessions and then use that instead :) (it's actually a little dangerous like that... just guess what would happen if someone set that var to .* -- it'd fry all your partitions :()

deac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after einit-reset (reboot via ctrl-alt-del or einit-control power reset) my cmos (bios) was destroied: "cmos checksum error: defaults loaded".
i tried it 3 times and i tried it again with sysvinit, all times after einit-reset the same, but not after sysvinit.
my system:
board: via epia en12000 (on board cpu via eden 1.2ghz)
bios: phoenix (if somebody needs, i'll post the version later)
kernel: linux 2.6.20.3
einit: 0.20.0#982
CONFIG_EDD and CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CMOS aren't set.

now i tried a simple pressing reset, no einit-reset, no error.
after shutdown (einit-control power down) there's no error.
only after reboot.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, to be perfectly honest, i have no idea how that could have happened? the only code where einit is writing anything at all is the broadcast code... unless of course the broadcast constraints would match a node below /dev that was associated with your cmos -- could you post a
Code:
find /dev/

when logged into einit?

(i assume you haven't played with any of the nodes containing regular expressions in einit.xml, like the broadcast-constraints?)

i'm using the reboot() function to tell the kernel to reset, which is described in the manpage reboot(2).

einit works fine on my 1ghz epia-mII downstairs...

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: