View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: GWN fullforce in July? Reply with quote

um....they haven't updated this week though... :? I don't see how it's full force
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
welp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be releasing one soon. No ETA, though. And please be patient. Also, I haven't seen any contributions from you?
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welp wrote:
We will be releasing one soon. No ETA, though. And please be patient. Also, I haven't seen any contributions from you?

Is the absence of the GWN due to a lack of contributions, primarily? If so, are there written guidelines on contributing?
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welp wrote:
how is that relevant in any way shape or form, I'm not a dev nor a newsposter.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ryker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can help out with sending info to the GWN folks. If you see an interesting article or tidbit on the web, send them a quick link to it or even a short description also. If you see something in the forums that's an extremely hot topic or find a script that's useful, write up a short article about it and send it to them. Just this week, I sent them a couple links and short description to some interesting articles about the latest Gentoo release. I've also written a short article about a useful update script I found on the forums. I'm planning on writing up another short article on another great update script I found here in the forums.
There's lots of ways to help out without having any great expertise, and even without spending too much time on it.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are absolutely right, but you're missing my point entirely. There was a post on Gentoo's main page saying that GWN would be in full force in July, which it's clearly not. That was my point. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that I could/should/can contribute as well is besides the point. All I meant to point out is that someone wrote that it would be in full force, and this also caught Distrowatch's attention, but it is not. Period.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
ryker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
You guys are absolutely right, but you're missing my point entirely. There was a post on Gentoo's main page saying that GWN would be in full force in July, which it's clearly not. That was my point. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that I could/should/can contribute as well is besides the point. All I meant to point out is that someone wrote that it would be in full force, and this also caught Distrowatch's attention, but it is not. Period.

Well, I completely agree with you about posting that the GWN will be in full force in July and here it is almost half way through July and still nothing. If they weren't absolutely sure they would have something for the first Monday of July, then they shouldn't have posted anything.
In their defense, we have no idea how many people are on the GWN, if anyone outside of GWN has bothered to contribute any articles, and if something unexpected happened their lives that prevented them from completing it on time.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be something out this Monday coming up.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dates (which people then forsee as deadlines) - you're damned if you do and damned if you don't!
dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
There was a post on Gentoo's main page saying that GWN would be in full force in July, which it's clearly not.

It says "in July", not "at the beginning of July".
G2k wrote:
and this also caught Distrowatch's attention

:roll:
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should rename it the Gentoo Irregular Newsletter That Has Gone Drastically Downhill Since Ulrich Plate Left.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the GINTHGDDSUPL?

and yes, it has. that doesn't mean it can't be great again though.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
Maybe we should rename it the Gentoo Irregular Newsletter That Has Gone Drastically Downhill Since Ulrich Plate Left.

He actually did not leave. He's just eh.. moving.. :twisted:
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
I'm sorry, you were saying?
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
mark_alec wrote:
I'm sorry, you were saying?

He was saying they are hoping to get something out today (which hasn't ended yet - note that most people have jobs or other such things to do during the day, so a lot of work gets done in the evenings). They may not make it, but they're going out of their way to give you an update when they could just totally ignore this thread and not give you any information at all.
m.s.w
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryker wrote:
Anyone can help out with sending info to the GWN folks. If you see an interesting article or tidbit on the web, send them a quick link to it or even a short description also. If you see something in the forums that's an extremely hot topic or find a script that's useful, write up a short article about it and send it to them. Just this week, I sent them a couple links and short description to some interesting articles about the latest Gentoo release. I've also written a short article about a useful update script I found on the forums. I'm planning on writing up another short article on another great update script I found here in the forums.
There's lots of ways to help out without having any great expertise, and even without spending too much time on it.

Huh? So what's the real problem? Lack of man-power or lack of subjects to write about? Is there nothing interesting going on in the Gentoo Project? GWN is not an another newsletter about everything. Events around the world that concerns Gentoo were only one part of GWN. Most important were informations directly related to the life of the Gentoo Project, to developers work. I want to contribute. But what in hell should i know about Gentoo-inside?

In my opinion lack of GWN gives an impression that the project is dying, nothing is going on around (altough I know it's not true), nothing new, nothing interesting.

About the man-power and contributors - there is a lots of Gentoo developers that write blogs. Many of them has it's own webpages. And they do have something to write about.

If you thing there is no contribution from the community - give a post on this forum. I am 100% sure that people will gladly share tips & tricks. Stories. But the core of the GWN has to be prepared by Gentoo developers or somebody related to theirs work.
If there is nobody who want to collect facts from develpers and put it in one GWN once a week than it's clear that something wrong is going on with Gentoo.

m.s.w
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.s.w wrote:
If there is nobody who want to collect facts from develpers and put it in one GWN once a week than it's clear that something wrong is going on with Gentoo.

did you steal my 'jump to conclusions' mat? The best GWN was when DR joined and left in the span on one issue.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GWN appears to have returned full-force in July, as promised. Well done. It's looking good.
EinZteiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why I stopped receiving it since the comeback... :o
I was totally hopeless on the return of it, until I happened to drop by the main page and see that there are 2 issues since July... I re-checked my mail, but didn't get it like I usually had... and it's not on my junk mail either :S

weeeeird stuff 8O
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EinZteiN wrote:
I was totally hopeless on the return of it, until I happened to drop by the main page and see that there are 2 issues since July... I re-checked my mail, but didn't get it like I usually had... and it's not on my junk mail either :S

I guess you're being facetious. It looks like much of the info in GWN can be automatically written using a shell script, so maybe it will survive in that form? It's definitely not as useful as it was years ago, and I guess everyone realizes it will never be. This isn't a bad thing, IMO-- Gentoo is very different than it was years ago.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Uh, no, hardly any of it can be done by shell script. Maybe developer changes, maybe some of the package adds/removes, but that's about it. The vast majority of it -- content articles -- has to be handwritten. There's no way of automating most of the GWN.

I was looking at items 4-10 out the lastest GWN, which can be written by a machine (definitely 5-10). And items 4-10 constitute most of the latest GWN (in vertical space). You could just publish this automated info every week instead of having people make fun of you guys here all the time (assuming publishing a weekly GWN is the goal). Maybe if you guys rename GWN to "Gentoo Newsletter" (or such), you wouldn't feel so pressured to publish every week? For example, a monthly newsletter would definitely take the load off the one guy who is responsible for GWN.
EinZteiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
EinZteiN wrote:

I guess you're being facetious. It looks like much of the info in GWN can be automatically written using a shell script, so maybe it will survive in that form? It's definitely not as useful as it was years ago, and I guess everyone realizes it will never be. This isn't a bad thing, IMO-- Gentoo is very different than it was years ago.

Nope...
I'm dead honest!! I have NOT receive the last 2 issues of the GWN, for some odd reason!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: