(SOLVED) amd64 make.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHY
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: (SOLVED) amd64 make.conf Reply with quote

so im trying to install gentoo on my new pc using the jackass stage 1/3 installation guide, but as the homesite forum for the project is down, id need some instructions on make.conf and package.* files. i got the files from the backup i made of my last gentoo installation on my old pc (celeron1200 tualatin) and as far as i remember, there wont require to change a lot of stuff (hopefully; meaning the make.conf and the latter files should match the ones in the current jackass guide from the most part). im especially concerned about the package.keywords and package.use

my current cpu is amd64 3500+.

so make.conf (i already made some changes to cflags and chost according to the 'safe cflags' wiki page. not sure about the cxxflags tho):
Code:

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=k8"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -pipe"

#what about the following line?
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -s"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="nptlonly X bzip2 tk threads symlink"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="distlocks sandbox userpriv usersandbox ccache"
CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
LINGUAS="en"

i also added the use flags from http://www.gentoo-install.com/install#t5 to the nptlonly.
im building up a development station with python, php, apache, possibly ruby, mysql, KDE & co. that would have an access to windows' partition for music. just as a side note. and im using the kubuntu livecd to build this thing up. i read that when knoppix is used, some of the portage FEATURES settings cant be used, to prevent errors. how about in this case?

here is the package.keywords file that im concerned about the most:
Code:

~sys-apps/coreutils-5.94 ~x86
~sys-apps/groff- 1.19.2 ~x86

sys-devel/binutils ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
~sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1

#not sure about this version:
~sys-libs/glibc-2.4 ~x86
~sys-apps/busybox-1.1.0 ~x86
#sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
@sys-libs/timezone-data ~x86
#dev-libs/mpfr ~x86
#dev-libs/gmp ~x86

sys-apps/portage ~x86
>=dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1 ~x86

>=app-admin/eselect-compiler-2.0.0_rc1 ~x86
>=dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1 ~x86
>=dev-libs/mpfr- 2.2.0_p10 ~x86

not sure but as far as i remember, ive added the last three lines additionally, but cant remember under what circumstances. and yeah, of course the ~x86 becomes ~amd64 now.

and finally package.use:
Code:

#sys-devel/binutils multislot
sys-devel/gcc multislot
sys-devel/libperl ithreads
sys-libs/glibc userlocales nomalloccheck nptl nptlonly pic
dev-lang/perl ithreads

so.. the question stays: what do i need to change in order to be able to go on with the installation for my amd64 system?
ill appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

Last edited by SHY on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the inlines-hidden flag from CFLAGS, unless you want to break some packages (some people may argue that it's not so serious. But I don't like a risk).
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can common out the LDFLAGS also as those are the default ones portage uses. also add nptl to USE and you can take off threads from USE.
add parallel-fetch to FEATURES. and your CFLAGS -O2 is wrong. it's not with a zero ;)
SHY
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad _ph: yeah, i got an error with that as soon as i tried to emerge anything for the first time.

ad likewhoa: as the jackass gentoo (the forum eventually came up two hours ago) guide states:
Quote:

Please note: In older versions of this guide we intentionally specified the user of the "nptl" and "nptlonly" USE flags, because fallback support for linuxthreads in Gentoo had become rather spotty on some CHOSTs and NPTL support had reached a state of maturity.
The current version of Glibc has abandoned support for linuxthreads and provides NPTL support by default. Appropriately, the "nptl" USE flag has found its way into the Gentoo 2006.0 make.profile.

so i actually have nothing in the USE flags atm.

ive already started compiling using the package.keywords from the guide (http://jackass.homelinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1572#1572) and the aforementioned changes to make.conf and after binutils, gcc-config and gcc, im on glibc BUT i overlooked that it picked the latest stable version for amd64, and that is 2.5. IS THIS OK?

as for the FEATURES - is it ok that i add the parallel-fetch features just after the glibc is done and just before the emerge -e system is done?
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHY wrote:
im on glibc BUT i overlooked that it picked the latest stable version for amd64, and that is 2.5. IS THIS OK?

No need to worry, I'm running 2.5 here with no problems. :D

SHY wrote:
as for the FEATURES - is it ok that i add the parallel-fetch features just after the glibc is done and just before the emerge -e system is done?

You can add it at any time.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHY wrote:
ive already started compiling using the package.keywords from the guide (http://jackass.homelinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1572#1572) and the aforementioned changes to make.conf and after binutils, gcc-config and gcc, im on glibc BUT i overlooked that it picked the latest stable version for amd64, and that is 2.5. IS THIS OK?

yes, FYI the current 2006.1 amd64 profile supplies "nptl nptl-only" in USE flags.

SHY wrote:

yes that's not a problem.
SHY
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thanks for your help, everybody :)
right now im on the 37th package out of 102 of the first emerge -e system. *crosses fingers*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: