How to use tmpreaper and tmpwatch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
essdeeay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: How to use tmpreaper and tmpwatch? Reply with quote

I was looking at this article on "How to clean /tmp" (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_clean_/tmp) and it talks about tmpreaper and tmpwatch. They both seem to do the same thing - do I need to use them both?

In the case of tmpwatch, it says:
Quote:
On filesystems mounted with the noatime flag, access times are usually equal to the creation time of the file. Make sure you add --ctime flags if this is the case with your tmp directories.

I understand from that statement that the noatime flag prevents the last access time being stored. It says to add --ctime flags. Erm... how do I add them and where? - I can't find anything that explains what they are.

For tmpreaper, it says:
Quote:
This Debian utitlity cleans temporary files depending on atime, mtime or ctime (you can configure that)

Again, like before, what it mtime?

And, which one of these tools should I be using, or should I use them both?

Many thanks,
Steve
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or the other, not both. The ctime flag applies to tmpwatch, so you'd configure it to use that, however it's configured (don't use it myself). mtime is modification time, as opposed to atime (access time) and ctime (creation time). As to which one to use, I'd go for the Debian based one, but that's not based on anything solid. Debian just tends to test the crap out of everything, so their stuff is generally pretty reliable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: