Adopt a developer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Adopt a developer Reply with quote

While reading the Forums I found some suggestions about giving more power to users. Most were dismissed with a simple argument: users don't contribute to Gentoo, so they shouldn't have an active voice in developement. I have to say I disagree in part: one of the importants things about Gentoo is the user base that contributes posting answers in these forums. But, how about make it possible for those who won't contribute with code directly to help in the development of Gentoo?

The idea:

- A monthly donation. It could be as small as $5 or $10 /month, so anyone could donate. The money should be used to hire developers.
- Those who donate get access to a special forum where they could post request to the hired developers. There could be a vote system based on how much you donate (each minimal donation amount = 1 vote), to decide what should be done first.
- Those users who donate should also have an active voice like if they were developers. That should be proportional to what the hired developers are contributing to the Gentoo project.

Is this an insane idea?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drysh,

given the thread's title and what you're asking, I suggest you take a look at the adopt-a-dev project's page.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Somehow, my search didn't find that.

EDIT: I read the Adopt a Developer project, and it has nothing to do with what I'm talking here. That project is about donating things to developers, this idea is about hiring new developers payed by the comunity.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you can already donate as much money as you want to gentoo. Just click on the "donate" button/link on the upper right on gentoo.org!!!
Secondly, your idea is clearly against the idea of open source software. Giving some people a better access to information regarding the software for a money subscription is maybe a good business idea, but a horrible scenario for all poor students etc.
Thirdly, all devs are voluntary contributers sharing their spare time!
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
First of all, you can already donate as much money as you want to gentoo. Just click on the "donate" button/link on the upper right on gentoo.org!!!
Secondly, your idea is clearly against the idea of open source software. Giving some people a better access to information regarding the software for a money subscription is maybe a good business idea, but a horrible scenario for all poor students etc.
Thirdly, all devs are voluntary contributers sharing their spare time!
Who said anything about better access for information? All I said was a forum to request features. Everyone would be able to read the code, documentation, support or anything.. This is free software after all.

I based my idea in the following facts:

- Not everyone can code.
- A lot of people who can't code, has requests for developers.
- Most of these people can't hire a developer do code what they want (that's expensive).
- If they could form a sort of club of users, they could get enough money to hire a developer. Each one donating a small amount of the developer salary.

And...

- It's always good for Gentoo to have more developers.
- This money could also be given to current developers, to work on things that they won't for free, or to make them full time developers for Gentoo.

This isn't commercial software ideas... This is free software to non-developers.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requesting features is already doable. Make a request on bugzilla or here on the forums and the devs will certainly look into it if it is useful in some way!

All you mention above is called "hiring a developer for my/your needs". Where is the relation to gentoo in that? I don't get it! If the price is right, I'm sure you'll find a dev for your needs. Maybe you should open up a funding website with all your wishes ... Good luck with that!
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not on the board of trustees of the foundation I'm pretty sure that this idea (hiring developers and special privileges for users with the biggest wallets) wouldn't find many supporters. There already enough sites where you can pay money to get some programming tasks done, no point in replicating that within Gentoo, especially not if it's supposed to bypass the "get-it-committed-upstream" barrier (don't know if that was part of your idea).
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was thinking when I wrote it:

- Developers to implement what we need for Gentoo to be accepted in enterprise environment. Including GLEP 19, GLEP 24, and many many other things.

- Empower the user base to let them help deciding where should Gentoo go

- Atract small business that could help financing Gentoo with a small monthly fee

- Premiate exceptional developers that do things the community approve.

This isn't:

- A way to demand a feature that I want. I was thinking about something like vote with your money for what you think is important. (I'll write another post trying to explain this a little more)

- A finished idea. We need to develop this idea much more if we want something like this.

But... This should be part of a more ambicious project: How to improve the professional use of Gentoo.
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While trying to explain the post above, I had another idea.

What if we could donate to implement GLEPs? Part of the money would go to Gentoo, part to the developers working on that GLEP.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:
- Developers to implement what we need for Gentoo to be accepted in enterprise environment. Including GLEP 19, GLEP 24, and many many other things.

Well, those things are somewhat difficult: GLEP 19 (or similar proposals) require a lot of long term manpower, not something a handful of people could do (even fulltime), as it's effectively a fork of the tree. And not much use in paying someone to implement GLEP 24, that's mostly a policy decision within each subproject (and it's partially done already with eselect).

Quote:
Empower the user base to let them help deciding where should Gentoo go

I don't think that's a valid point. Users can already influence the direction, they just don't have final authority. And your proposal would only give power to some selected users anyway, that's generally not very healthy for community development.

Quote:
Attract small business that could help financing Gentoo with a small monthly fee

They can do that already ... You know, the "Make a donation" button on the frontpage.

Quote:
Premiate exceptional developers that do things the community approve.

So send some money their way directly, don't see any use in getting the foundation involved here.

Basically my reply is that you can already do all that without adding more bureaucracy. Especially I don't think that the foundation should get involved in that, given its current state at least. Note that with "you" I don't mean you personally, but the user base you represent.
mrness
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:
- Premiate exceptional developers that do things the community approve.

Yeah, just what we need to duplicate recent Debian fiasco.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: