AMR decoding [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suredeath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: AMR decoding [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have an important recording on my cell phone that needs a little enhancement and noise reduction.
I found a solution using sox, lame and the 3GPP amr codec here: http://www.aquarionics.com/article/name/How_to_convert_AMR_files_to_MP3
So I built the 3gpp [en|de]coder binaries that should take care of decoding the .amr file for me.
Unfortunately it generates a segfault. No further messages. If all else fails I may have to dive into the source or makefile myself, but I'd prefer using a ready-made package

Is there a package in the gentoo ebuilds that has amr-decoding capabilities? I tried several emerge --search'es, to no avail.
my mplayer (I compiled it with about every available codec) doesn't handle the files.

If someone has a working script using gentoo-specific versions of the 'usual' related software (like lame, ffmpeg, sox etc), or a GUI (I prefer cli solutions) I'd be glad to hear from them!

(My final aim is the mp3 format, my first concern is squeezing a wav out of the .amr file. Fwiw, the .amr is 6.5mb, which may or may not be the reason the 3gpp codec crashed on it.)

Last edited by suredeath on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: AMR decoding Reply with quote

suredeath wrote:
I have an important recording on my cell phone that needs a little enhancement and noise reduction.
I found a solution using sox, lame and the 3GPP amr codec here: http://www.aquarionics.com/article/name/How_to_convert_AMR_files_to_MP3
So I built the 3gpp [en|de]coder binaries that should take care of decoding the .amr file for me.
Unfortunately it generates a segfault. No further messages. If all else fails I may have to dive into the source or makefile myself, but I'd prefer using a ready-made package

Is there a package in the gentoo ebuilds that has amr-decoding capabilities? I tried several emerge --search'es, to no avail.
my mplayer (I compiled it with about every available codec) doesn't handle the files.

If someone has a working script using gentoo-specific versions of the 'usual' related software (like lame, ffmpeg, sox etc), or a GUI (I prefer cli solutions) I'd be glad to hear from them!

(My final aim is the mp3 format, my first concern is squeezing a wav out of the .amr file. Fwiw, the .amr is 6.5mb, which may or may not be the reason the 3gpp codec crashed on it.)

The mplayer ebuild supports the "amr" USE flag, which enables building with the 3GPP AMR reference decoder, then you could do something like: mplayer audio.amr -ao pcm:file=audio.wav and encode it to whatever you pleased.

I know you mentioned that your mplayer build doesn't handle it, but it SHOULD be able to if the amr USE flag is enabled.
suredeath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still unable to find the amr use flag for my mplayer, I recompiled ffmpeg with that use-flag and got my .wav file quite easily after all. Thanks for your suggestions! (Marked topic as solved)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: