Can't listen to audio from a radio station over the internet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mankatoee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Can't listen to audio from a radio station over the internet Reply with quote

I can't seem to get the audio stream from radio station www.ktlkfm.com. They have a button to click on that brings up the popup to listen to the station, it trys to connect then says: unknown plugin: application/x-mplayer2.

I have mplayer version 3.35 installed but may not have it completely configured it correctly. Do I need to get copies of Windows codecs or set some other configuration? As a novice I can't find the direction that I need to get this fixed.

Also how do I get the direct URL of the stream so I don't have to log on the the stations web site and click on their listen now icon?
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Can't listen to audio from a radio station over the inte Reply with quote

mankatoee wrote:
I can't seem to get the audio stream [...snip...], it trys to connect then says: unknown plugin: application/x-mplayer2.

I have mplayer version 3.35 installed but may not have it completely configured it correctly.[...snip...]

You are refering to the mplayerplug-in package in portage and it has several USE settings one of which is "wmp". To add this create/modify the file

/etc/portage/package.use

and add the line (or modify it if it's alleady there) to read:

Code:

net-www/mplayerplug-in wmp

(FWIW, mine reads: net-www/mplayerplug-in divx gmedia realmedia wmp )

and re-emerge mplayerplugin-in

mankatoee wrote:
Also how do I get the direct URL of the stream so I don't have to log on the the stations web site and click on their listen now icon?

Sorry, don't know this one.

Hope some of this helps.

bill
mankatoee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I added the local USE setting to /etc/portage/package.use but when I try emerge -pv mplayerplug-in it does not seem to see the new flag settings.

What else do I need to do?
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mankatoee wrote:
Thanks, I added the local USE setting to /etc/portage/package.use but when I try emerge -pv mplayerplug-in it does not seem to see the new flag settings.

What else do I need to do?

That should be it, I'm pretty sure it picks these files up automatically when emerging (assuming the file has the proper read permissions). The format of the package.use is simple but picky so make sure there's the net-www/ in front of the package name, that there's no version number in the package name and that the use values are separated from the package and each other by spaces (no commas, etc).

Also, when you say emerge -pv does not pick up the new use values, I am assuming you see something like:

Code:

[ebuild   R   ] net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.35  USE="divx gmedia quicktime realmedia -gtk -wmp*" 0 kB

where the "wmp" has a dash (-) in front of it. (note the "*" following it means I just changed it. )

If you can't get this to work there are other ways to add this use value, although /etc/portage/package.use is the preferred way.

• You can temporarily add it to an emerge by
    Code:
    USE=wmp emerge mplayerplug-in

I use this to test things out, usually with a -pv option or to see what will happen with it coded that way. The value (wmp in this case) is not recorded anywhere and will not be used the next time you emerge that package (makes for some interesting surprises).

• Add it to the USE="...." list in your /etc/make.conf
    This has the effect of adding that setting globally and if any other package has that use value, it will be used by that package too (and I don't think all packages use similar use values in the same way so this could result in unexpected behavior.

Anyway, I think what you are seeing is a simple issue. I just
pdr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrote this script (as /usr/local/bin/playm3u). Pass in a url to a m3u or pls link and it extracts the first stream url from it and passes that to audacious. If the url does not end in .m3u or .pls it will pass the argument url directly to audacious. You could of course instead pass it to mplayer. Also I used osd_cat for error display; if you don't have/want xosd you will want to change those lines..

Code:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" == "" ]
then
   osd_cat "You must provide a URL to play!"
   exit 1
fi

EXT=`echo "${1##*.}" | tr A-Z a-z`

if [ "$EXT" == "m3u" ]
then
   URL=`wget -O - "$1" | head -n 1`
   if [ "$URL" == "" ]
   then
      osd_cat "Failed getting the URL in the m3u!"
      exit 1
   fi
elif [ "$EXT" == "pls" ]
then
   URL=`wget -O - "$1" | grep -E ' *File[0-9]+ *=' | head -n 1 | sed 's/^[^=]*=\([^ ]*\).*$/\1/'`
else
   URL="$1"
fi

T=`echo "$URL" | grep -E '^http://'`
if [ "$T" == "" ]
then
   osd_cat "Final piece is not a valid URL"
   exit 1
fi

#echo "Playing $URL"

#/usr/bin/xmms "$URL" &
/usr/bin/audacious "$URL" &

In fluxbox I use it like:
Code:

[exec] (Radio Paradise) {playm3u http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_128.m3u}
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: