View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eno2001
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Gnome's 'fam' Prevents 'umount' of Userspace Filesystem Reply with quote

I have a Rio Karma music player and have been working on getting the kernel and Fuse files systems: omfs and lkarmafs, respectively, to work with a good deal of success. The mainline kernels have partition support for the Rio Karma, and building Fuse and the required libraries is a breeze in order to get omfs (Optimized MPEG File System) and lkarmafs (the Fuse filesystem that abstracts omfs in a human readable form) working. So far so good.

The problem I'm having is that once I've used the 'lkarmafs' command to mount my karma as a regular user, Gnome's Nautilus file manager gets a little weird. Some examples of the weirdness:

1. If I try to copy music files to the Karma when it's in digital music player mode, Nautilus will first complain that the file doesn't exist. If I chose to continue, the copy succeeds.

2. If I attempt to use the 'fusermount' command to unmount the lkarmafs volume, I can't, because it says the filesystem is in use.

I think the first issue is caused by the fact that lkarmafs does act strangely when you copy music files to it. As soon as the file is copied to the "Upload" directory, the file is immediately moved to the real 'omfs' store. So it basically gets deleted as soon as the copy is done. This is probably why Nautilus says the file doesn't exist.

The second issue is definitely caused by the 'fam' process. If I stop the X session altogether (killing Gnome and 'fam') and get back to the CLI console I can then use 'fusermount' to unmount the Fuse filesystem.

So... is there any way of getting Nautilus to work with such a strange filesystem? Or am I out of luck until the lkarmafs folks get support in one of the music manager programs? There were some patches for Amarok but I failed to get those to build right. Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post. If not, I'd appreciate if an admin would move it to a more appropriate spot. :)
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience with this particular player or filesystem. However, fam has been unmaintained for a while now and is deprecated. It has been replaced by gamin, so perhaps if you unmerge fam and emerge gamin this will solve your problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: