View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davimint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Best USE flags for GNOME [solved] Reply with quote

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times but I want to make sure that I've got everything covered before I continue on this install. This is my second install of Gentoo from the minimal install AMD64. The first went good untill somehow I managed to total mess up a perfectly working Gnome by not knowing anything about it ( I've always used Fluxbox ). So I've got several newbie questions that I just want to make sure of. I know you all need to know things about my system to help me out so I'll atleast go ahead and tell you I have a AMD64 system with nvidia gpu Geforce 6100 n410.

Currently, I have gotten through all the documentation up to point of "Finalizing your Gentoo Installation" except I chose not to install a boot loader becuase I'm using Grub to boot this partiton from another linux installation ( Slackware ).

I would also like to say that I'm using the Gentoo 2.6.19-r5 kernel souce which I built a custom kernel that is set up for use with the alsa in kernel driver and the correct settings in the kernel for nvidia.

On the last install, I installed X , then worked out nvidia, installed Gnome then worked out alsa....

FIrst Question: Is this the normal process to get a useable desktop or should I have went about that different ?

On my last install, I used the following: USE="qt3 qt4 arts kde gtk gnome hal avahi X cairo dvd alsa"
Note: The reason for the kde stuff was I just can't live with out k3b

Second Question: What other "Common" use flags are needed for Gnome ?

Third Qustion: At what point do you normaly "emerge world" on a mininal install, before or after you set up X and whatever
desktop suite your using ?
Note: Portage has been sync and updated and config files handled.

I really would like to make sure I'm going about this the correct way but the docs seem to go every direction once you get the base system installed. Maybe it's to each his own. Maybe it doesn't matter. I just wanted to ask.

Thanks

Last edited by davimint on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 am; edited 3 times in total
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Sorry, I can't answer, that is a statement not a question.

2. Up to you. Run emerge -pv gnome first to see what options can be enabled. Notice they are options.

3. I usually run an emerge -pvuDN world straight after an install but its up to you really.
davimint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorpe:
Being a newbie I always ask questions wrong so I edited my post to reflect my questions better so everyone may be able to give me some help. I've read some docs on USE Flags but I just can't seem to get the concept. Maybe I need to read a "USE FLAGS FOR DUMMIES" Book. I don't give up easy so I'll just keep working at it till I get it.

Thanks for the reply.
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, USE flags enable features. They basically just switch on and off different ./confgure options.

When you run...

Code:

emerge -pv <pkgname>

The -pv (pretend / verbose) options will display a list of all the available flags for the package in question. You then enable support for whatever it is you want.

You can do this either globally (/etc/make.conf) or locally for each package (/etc/portage/package.use). For instance, if you put the flag mysql in /etc/make.conf, then any package which has support for mysql will have mysql support enabled. If however you only want to use mysql with php for instance, you would...

Code:

echo "dev-lang/php mysql" >> /etc/portage/package.use

Have you read this document? It descibes flag usage in detail.

Use flags where one of my biggest concerns when I started but there no big deal really. If your using the desktop profile allot of the defaults will be enough. If later you find a package is missing a feature you want, add the flag and recompile.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
Gnome is desktop stuff, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

I suggest to use gnome-light. I use gnome-light on amd64 without any problems.
gnome is to overloaded. If you want a feature of gnome, which doesn*t gnome-light has, then emerge the appropriate package.

Use Flag:

Basically install ufed, euses, eix, splat. I don*t recommend profuse, because it screwed my make.conf file.

What does a use flag do?
euses useflagname gives a short description; therefore emerge euses
eix packagename shows packages which are available; don*t forget to run update-eix before using eix
splat packagename shows how long did a package emerge last in the past

Happy working
davimint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help.
I've been out of town for the last few days so it sure was nice to get home and find the answers to my questions. I have a much better understand of use flags after the reading and I'll get busy again building everything tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks davimint.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: