Problems getting Alsa to work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Problems getting Alsa to work Reply with quote

I have just installed Gentoo on my ASUS L8400 laptop and have followed the directions in the Gentoo Linux Desktop Conf. guide. However, I cannot get Alsa to work. When I start the amixer I get the following error message:

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device

It seems it can't find my sound card. Any suggestions to what might be wrong?

Pyke
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

load the correct modules, I have to put snd-pcm-mixer in modules.autoload , this creates /dev/mixer / snd-pcm-oss creates /dev/dsp. Probably the cause,

Cya lX.
Pyke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It still does not work, but your suggestions led me to find out where the real problem is. It's not with Alsa, it's with the sound card. Here's my boot messages:

Code:

maestro3: Configuring ESS Allegro found at IO 0xF800 IRQ 10
maestro3:  subvendor id: 0x10491043
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4583:0x8308 (ESS Allegro ES1988)

Thus the sound card is found. However, when the appropriate module is being loaded (maestro3) I get the following:

Code:

Jun 20 09:39:45 [kernel] Maestro3/Allegro soundcard not found or device busy
Jun 20 09:39:45 [insmod] /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/sound/pci/snd-maestro
3.o: init_module: No such device
Jun 20 09:39:45 [insmod] Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module para
meters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.       You may find more information
 in syslog or the output from dmesg
Jun 20 09:39:45 [insmod] /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/sound/pci/snd-maestro
3.o: insmod snd-card-0 failed

Apparently the module cannot find the card although it is detected at boot time. What might be wrong? Maybe the module does not get the right IO or IRQ parameters as suggested, but how do I supply them manually?

Thanks,
Pyke
frankiboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have both sound card support in kernel and ALSA? I've compiled sound support in kernel and the sound card is found during startup. I get sound in KDE, but when I try to enable ALSA, it don't find any sound card.

I'm pretty sure(?) that my ALSA setup is correct. If I check which ALSA devices is enabled I only find a timer.
Pyke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Problem solved! Reply with quote

After searching and reading in the forums I have come to a solution. The problem was in the kernel. I had compiled the kernel with support for my sound card built in. Now I have recompiled it with only modular support for the soundcard - the only built in support is for sound in general (it probably also works if this is compiled as a module (soundcore.o)). After recompiling I walked through the steps of the dekstop configuration guide again and alsa worked just fine.

Thus: Alsa won't work if support for your soundcard is built into the kernel. Let support for your sound card be a module.

Maybe this is worth while to put into the desktop guide!

Anyway, thanks for the help! Without the forum I had not found the solution.

Pyke
sukhjeet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m very new to Linux and Gentoo... How do I check if I haev support for my sound card built into my kernel? If I do have it, how do I take it out and recompile? I setup the modular support, but I'm not sure if I did a complete recompile after that. Thanks.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read through and recompiled as module...what modules do I need to add to the modules.autoload file?
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem solved! Reply with quote

Pyke wrote:

Thus: Alsa won't work if support for your soundcard is built into the kernel. Let support for your sound card be a module.

thats bull.

I'm using alsa on my laptop, using Maestro3 (yes, the one that you have) and on my desktop, using cs46xx, and in both of these kernels my alsa-drivers are compiled into the kernel.

and it works fine.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem solved! Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:
Pyke wrote:

thats bull.

I'm using alsa on my laptop, using Maestro3 (yes, the one that you have) and on my desktop, using cs46xx, and in both of these kernels my alsa-drivers are compiled into the kernel.

and it works fine.

mine worked fine until a bit ago...don't know exactly what happened...only been doing imple emerge -up worlds and upgrading individually...ah well. I recompiled as modules and put soundcore and maestro3 in my modules.autoload file and all is well in the world :D
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem solved! Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:
Pyke wrote:

thats bull.

and it works fine.

I think he has a 2.4-kernel with OSS compiled into the kernel. I think that's why my alsa won't work either :(. Guess it will have to be a recompile of the kernel...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: