Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Writing my own Gentoo Installation notes - suggestions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kha0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Writing my own Gentoo Installation notes - suggestions? Reply with quote

What's up? Manny things I hope! From some time now, I've been creating my own Gentoo Installation notes. That proved to be a pretty good time investment, both in getting things working and in plunging deeper into Gentoo's heart.

Till now I've used plain simple .txt files to hold my algorithmic-like notes... The thing is .txt just doesn't cut it no more. I would like to start working with some kind of html material.

I've poked around a bit and one format that caught my attention at first glance was wikipedia's. I particularly like the capability of numbering your external references and quickly getting the diff between several versions of the same document.

Do you think this is a good format choice? If so, what tools are available to manipulate it? (plain VIM, some front-end maybe...). Will your at it, I would also like to now your input about a cool app to take console screenshots (i.e screenshot the boot process or Gentoo's command line installation).

Thanks in advance
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don*t know the link anymore, but there was a pretty installation guide with screenshots on an external site. This was in a thread months ago.

Also a starting point is the handbook of gentoo in html.
kha0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that... Meanwhile if you find it, pop it up here!

Over out
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
Also a starting point is the handbook of gentoo in html.

Not really, it's written in GuideXML and just converted to HTML by the server.
kha0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also planning to give DocBook a shot... The thing is I haven't that much time right now to tackle it's steep learning curve...
jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will your at it, I would also like to now your input about a cool app to take console screenshots (i.e screenshot the boot process or Gentoo's command line installation).

With Linux this type of app is limited unfortunately. I use Adobe Captivate 2 for this, plus VMware Server for following the install process in my tutorials. I have been looking at another app called ViewletBuilder. It has a Linux version that I have running for testing, it is not free though (299 dollars) slightly less than the 500 dollars I spent on captivate, which for now is my only reason for having a windows dual boot. :?

Wink is another good app which is free as in beer. You can check out the Linux version (version 1.5 I think) at www.debugmode.com.

Good luck to you in your documenting. The more available information the better. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: