View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xkjyeah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: XFree 4.3.0 SLOW STARTUP Reply with quote

I am using XFree86 4.3.0 compiled, and it has slow startup, always blinking (black) with power (or a bit of light, like blank-screen screensaver) then without then with again. Total time takes around 10 sec.
Hardware: Matrox MGA G200 AGP, Pentium III, 128 MB RAM

I dual boot WinXP and Linux. WinXP does not blink. Without taking X into consideration, both score equally well in their boot speeds. 20sec. but with X[dm] it might take up to 30 sec, which is definitely not competitive. I like to use Linux to do my work, but the time needed to load X is...
Previously, with my Slackware 8.1 with XFree 4.2.0 kernel 2.4.18, it loads superb. Then on the same OS, I installed the binary versions of XFree 4.3.0. Fine, it didn't work well (the binaries were built with 2.4.20 right?) Sometimes it worked. and when it did, it took the same 10 sec to load. Other times, it crashed with funny characters on the screen. I reverted to 4.2.0 which loaded in some 3 sec.

I am using and LCD monitor (celllink L-171 chameleon i think)

Any similar situations? I have tried to configure modelines, but XFree tests both the given modelines and even probes for more themselves. ie modelines i give were retested as modelines probed
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try running fc-cache - you might have some problems with the font database, that normally causes slow loading for me at least.
xkjyeah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but it doesn't solve the problem. I still think it is the hardware. After all, something is making the monitor blink lit-up black to no-light black. Last time i checked, 2 times it went no-light. No-light screens generally are short, about 1-2 sec. The lit-up black stays there, eerily similar to running "X -configure"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: