Gentoo/XP Dual boot Dell Inspirion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hesaias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Gentoo/XP Dual boot Dell Inspirion Reply with quote

I finally have my laptop back, and I want to get Gentoo going on it siunce I am the only user in the hhouse. The Desktop was fine for me, but SWMBO did not cozy up to it as I had hoped.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2650. I have a Dell Truemobile 1300 Wireless Card. The Ethernet controler is a 3Com 3C920.

Anyhow, I burtned the Live CD, and attempted an install, but I cannot get the wireless networking up, or for that matter, the LAN at all. No internet connection, nada.

I have searched, and am not finding anything that can help poor blind me get going. I believe if I can get the internet connection going, I will be golden.

Should I be able to connect with the Live CD running?

TIA

Last edited by hesaias on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please give us more details of the exact model number of your laptop and the make and model of the wireless card. The easiest thing would be if we found someone who got it working with the same hardware you have.

You might even want to edit your original post and put the model number in the subject so people will see it when they are skimming through the forums.

For example, I have/had an Inspiron 8200 and the internet connection just worked when I booted off the LiveCD. But this information is useless to you if you have a different model.
hesaias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I guess that would be helpful. I will edit the original post.

Thanks
bmartin
n00b
n00b

Location: Jersey City, NJ, USA - soon to be San Antonio, TX, USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Google search turned up the following modules for your wireless card: 3c90x,3c59x

I highly recommend using a module built for your card, if one exists. The performance tends to be better and it saves you the hassle of dealing with ndiswrapper.
hesaias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am unable to connect to the internet, I cannot emerge anythin yet, so unless it is already on my HD, i am out of luck. Can I obtain anything before I try the live CD again and place it in a folder on my HD so I can use it t get my connection up an running?

Thanks for the input
suicideducky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the livecd was your internet connection working?
do you have a DHCP client installed? if not i would recommend DHCPCD (assuming you need a dhcp client)
what is the contents of your /etc/init.d/net ?

you can get to it by
Code:
nano -w /etc/init.d/net

and in /etc/init,d is there any entries like net.eth0 or net.eth1?
you can find out by
Code:
ls /etc/init.d

During the install did you copy over your network information?

thanks, Ducky
hesaias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have not done the install yet. I am still running the LiveCD. I want to make sure everything works right before I do the install.

I already tried it once, and had a prolem getting X to run. The fix required me to Emerge some tools, but since I cannot connect, I had to reinstall Windows.

I have no connectivity in the Live CD. FWIW< I have run an Ubintu LiveCD, as well as DreamLinux with the same results, i.e. no connectivity.

I tried to navigate to the network tools, but I do not know the password to get to root, so I cannot do anything that will help me. I did a search in the manual and google and cannot find the password for root o the live cI am just hosed every way I turn. :(
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are logged in as root when you boot the Live CD. The root password of the Live CD environment is scrambled on each boot, so it is never known. Once you follow the Handbook instructions to chroot to the Gentoo system installed on your hard drive, you are logged in to that system as root. You should, for future use, issue the passwd command to set the root password on the installed system, but chrooting will always get you in as root without a password.

If you are missing packages you need for certain functionality, try downloading those packages (probably .tar.gz files) to an external disk. Then boot from the Live CD, chroot into your Gentoo install as per the Handbook instructions, and copy the files to /usr/distfiles. I believe emerge will look for its files there before attempting to download anything from the internet.

If there isn't a distro with a Live CD packed with wireless drivers, there oughta be one. Have you tried one of the more commercial ones like Novell Linux?
JBen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knifeyspoony wrote:
If you are missing packages you need for certain functionality, try downloading those packages (probably .tar.gz files) to an external disk. Then boot from the Live CD, chroot into your Gentoo install as per the Handbook instructions, and copy the files to /usr/distfiles. I believe emerge will look for its files there before attempting to download anything from the internet.

Firtsly for know url of files for download do this :
Code:
 emerge -fp <options + package> 2>&1 | cut -d ' ' -f1 | grep '://' | cat

And for saves url in a file (exemple list.txt do this)
Code:
 emerge -fp <options + package> 2>&1 | cut -d ' ' -f1 | grep '://' | cat > list.txt

After you can download files with for example wget in a other computer :
Code:
 wget -i list.txt

And copy downlaoded files in the distfile dir, and generaly it isn't /usr/distfiles but /usr/portage/distfiles if you didn't move the directory.
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: