nVidia 6100 onbrd amd64 freezes with X abit NF-M2S [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbirkett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: nVidia 6100 onbrd amd64 freezes with X abit NF-M2S [solved] Reply with quote

I am a noob to both Gentoo and amd64. I have followed the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide and installed all the modules. I currently have an abit board with an nVidia GeForce6100 built in.
Current dist is 2.6.20-r7.
nVidia drivers are 1.0.8776-r1
In Xorg.0.log they seem to load fine, but the entire system freezes with only an underline cursor at the very top left of the screen. I have tried cntrl+alt+bkspc to get back to the console, but to no avail. the only resolution is to reboot the system.

What other information can I provide to help.
Thanks,
John

Last edited by jbirkett on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo and AMD64. I have an Nvidia 6150 chip in my AMD64 motherboard. I'm using the latest nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r1 which seemed to work better than the 1.0.8776 for me. To try this version of the nvidia drivers you just need to:
Code:
# echo "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge nvidia-drivers

I've had some weird problems related to the nvidia-drivers but not the one you describe. My problems have been more often occurring at shutdown with the system freezing instead of gracefully exiting X. There is no guarantee that the latest nvidia-drivers will fix your problem but it is worth a try.

When you reboot after a freeze, take a look at the log files in /var/log/ and see if any clue was left. Were you able to get X to work with the nv driver?

I've hit a few snags along the way, mostly related to those fscking nvidia drivers (you'll see on your next reboot that your partitions were not cleanly unmounted so fsck gets run automatically) but right now it's all good.

Definitely look in the Nvidia Linux forum for your exact computer and/or motherboard. Also search in these forums. If you can find someone with the same hardware you have, they can tell you all the tricks they needed to pull to get everything working. It's like finding a car in the junkyard that is the same model and year as the car you are working on. Finally, it is useful to post your computer and/or motherboard model number in the subject line of posts like this since someone with the same machine will be more likely able to help you out.
jbirkett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: nVidia onboard amd64 freezes with X [Solved] Reply with quote

I was just about to post this:

I solved the problem by going to the nVidia web site and downloading the 1.0-9755 drivers. All is fine now.
Thanks for the quick reply.

My motherboard is an abit NF-M2S with an onboard nVidia GeForce6100+405
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have less pain in the long term if you install that version through Portage as I described above. If you run into problems again with the nvidia-drivers, it will be tough to get support on these forums if you don't do the install with portage. The nvidia-drivers ebuild does more than just install the software from Nvidia. Take a look at the ebuild file to see for yourself.
jbirkett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I agree it would be best to install through portage, and I am doing that now. I was not able to get the version 1.0-9755 until I saw the echo command you provided.
One of the reasons I have gone to Gentoo was the amount of work involved makes one understand the ins and outs of how Linux works. But some times it can be a little gruesom.
With people like yourself that are willing to 'advise' it makes it a worthwhile experience in the long run.
I did a lot of searches and found some very good information, but most was old enough that it didn't work or did not apply to my problem.
Thanks for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: