Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
WTF?! Another core dev goes..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: WTF?! Another core dev goes.. Reply with quote

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/48164

They discussed this for 9 months without letting him know? Absolutely disgraceful.
psomas
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been using gentoo for only a year,and i subscribed to various gentoo mailing lists a month ago...
from the mailing lists,i understood that gentoo needs active devs willing to help...and now a core dev resigns... :/
i don't know what are the relationships between the devs,and what is going on,but what happened,and all the disaggreements between the devs will just make gentoo worse... :/
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: The following is the view of a user, based only on my own observations as a user. This is why I'll frequently use words like 'apparent' - I know there's a lot I don't see and I am trying to take that into account.

On the face of it, the apparent lone suspension of Jakub is concerning to me, especially given that he's basically only been trying his best to do a really tough job for the past few years with apparently no support from people like devrel who he should have been able to turn to to help resolve these situations.

But, my guess is that more people than just Jakub have been suspended under the new rules and we as users don't (and may never) know who, how long for and why, since a lot of that goes on on the private -core list.

To pre-empt a possible line of discussion: I don't personally think that suspensions and the like should necessarily be made public. The only reason we know about this one is because the suspended person decided to make it public.

With regards to the whole "9 months of discussion without being informed issue", I'm not going to comment at all. There's possibly a whole lot of back-story here that I don't and probably will never know.

It's disappointing to see another dev go, but at the end of the day it's his choice.

I have personally had concerns about QA in Gentoo (an example I've personally met is a stable package broken in portage for over 24 hours, apparently because no one wanted to digest a file or revert a change until the committing developer could be got hold of, plus various other examples I've seen when browsing bugzilla). I hope that the new CoC and other recent measures will help to improve the overall quality of Gentoo.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge loss, again! :roll:
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
A huge loss, again! :roll:

according to the dev listing he was "Main Bug Wrangler", only person with such a description.

I read his resignation and all referenced bugs, and well... I don't see anything violating any Code of Conduct. His language and tone was harsh in all bugs he himself referenced but nothing really over the top.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for devrel!.. still doing a great job hanging onto the main devs there I see! :roll:
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml

from one of the latest posts:

Quote:
"Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned CoC at all since it seems to confuse a few people.

We're not suspending jakub based on CoC but based on a long string of bad behaviour. That behaviour certainly violates the code of conduct in many cases but the suspension isn't based on CoC as such but rather the numerous devrel complaints and warnings he's already received."

but man, he has a lot of supporters...
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd hardly call Jakub a "core dev" even though he was a very visible member of the community due to his bugzilla activity. While I haven't been involved in his suspension in any way I can fully understand and support this decision. Jakub has done a very good work with handling the incoming bugs in the majority of cases, however equally he has been a constant source of noise (like half of his posts to -dev were simply noise and in some cases pure FUD) and in several cases definitely overstepped his bounds when dealing with bug reports (not going to look up any numbers). Also when he didn't get his will he easily got rather offensive (which can even be seen in the bugs he referenced).
Yes, it's a major loss to see him go, but definitely not unexpected as several people warned him about his behavior and advised him to take a break to calm down/get some distance months ago.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Well, I'd hardly call Jakub a "core dev" even though he was a very visible member of the community due to his bugzilla activity. While I haven't been involved in his suspension in any way I can fully understand and support this decision. Jakub has done a very good work with handling the incoming bugs in the majority of cases, however equally he has been a constant source of noise (like half of his posts to -dev were simply noise and in some cases pure FUD) and in several cases definitely overstepped his bounds when dealing with bug reports (not going to look up any numbers). Also when he didn't get his will he easily got rather offensive (which can even be seen in the bugs he referenced).
Yes, it's a major loss to see him go, but definitely not unexpected as several people warned him about his behavior and advised him to take a break to calm down/get some distance months ago.

++
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come fetch me when say... Uberlord hands in his notice, that is when there is problems

Last edited by Naib on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh....

- Noone did let me know for months, indeed...
- I really didn't feel any support for what I've been doing from devrel/QA folks lately; pretty much sucks, bugs and their handling is a crucial part of QA
- sorry if I offended some users; everyone makes mistakes; OTOH maintainers are pretty busy w/ handling all the valid issues they get, and noise that's not useful needs to be filtered; there's always a 'reopen bug' feature if people disagree
- our devrel lead has attacked me on more than one occasion, and he should have not taken any part in my suspension, since he's clearly shown his bias against me a couple of times
- oh well, there's life beyond Gentoo, I've not been any core developer. Flameeyes was, and pretty much the same people that have contributed to my resignation have forced him to leave as well. Noone has taken their lesson, unfortunately. We still have the same folks in charge of QA, noone of MIPS folks has been taken to the task for their (total lack of) action for the past years, and devrel still needs to grow some balls to deal with real issues instead of taking the easy way.
- if you want to see things get better, oh well... hard to advise, good luck is all I can say. I've tried hard and have given up now, sorry.

:?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'luck jacub. It's sad to see that the same minority group of devs are still damaging Gentoo and devrel failing to deal with problems yet again.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL, please stop spreading FUD.

Calling jakub a core dev is kind of a stretch.. dontcha think?

All he did was reassign/handle bugs... something that should have been replaced with an improved bug wizard a long time ago.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
steveL, please stop spreading FUD.

Calling jakub a core dev is kind of a stretch.. dontcha think?

All he did was reassign/handle bugs... something that should have been replaced with an improved bug wizard a long time ago.

The bug wangler position is something every distro should have, it's though a woefully underloved job. I do QA myself and I can tell that Fedora would kill for a Moc to help us combat the hordes of incoming bugs, as it becomes easier to file bugs, even with all the automation we can do, it's like holding back the ocean with a rake.

Luis Villa did a great blog post a while ago on why every distro should strive to have at least one bug wangler and why nobody wants this unglamourous position.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.

The person in the best position to "wrangle" their bugs is the maintainer. They are the most appropriate to judge whether or not a bug is valid or not. By firstly giving the user a list of possible dupes (not that hard) that they need to look through they may realize that someone else has reported it. If it gets through that net it makes more sense for the maintainer, who knows the most about the package, to wrangle his own subset of bugs instead of one person wrangling thousands of bugs, most of which they do not have the background to handle properly.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between bug wrangling and bug resolution, if you have one person doing both they wont give themselves a kick in the ass for slacking. Jakub did a great job of bug wrangling.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is /no need/ for a bug wrangler.

A wizard could determine the maintainer of a given package from the package name. It could assign the bug to that person. That person could then determine if the bug is a duplicate of another bug that they are handling. If it is, then they could mark it as a duplicate. One hundred devs doing their own wrangling is much smarter than one person doing all the wrangling.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
I disagree.

The person in the best position to "wrangle" their bugs is the maintainer. They are the most appropriate to judge whether or not a bug is valid or not. By firstly giving the user a list of possible dupes (not that hard) that they need to look through they may realize that someone else has reported it. If it gets through that net it makes more sense for the maintainer, who knows the most about the package, to wrangle his own subset of bugs instead of one person wrangling thousands of bugs, most of which they do not have the background to handle properly.

Conan,

unfortunately, too many people don't seem to realize how important Jakub's work is / was. Although there are a few devs who have complained about the way jakub dealt with their bugs, I know there are many that are thankful for all his hard work.

To make one thing clear and avoid any more misunderstandings, the CoC is going to be enforced by the Proctors, not by devrel!

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you still need a bug wrangler, not only to categorise bugs and mark off dupes, but also to keep check on stagnant bugs, that's something maintainers as wranglers wont fix. So having maintainers doing the job of wrangling isn't in fact smart.
Jokey_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:

A wizard could determine the maintainer of a given package from the package name. It could assign the bug to that person. That person could then determine if the bug is a duplicate of another bug that they are handling. If it is, then they could mark it as a duplicate. One hundred devs doing their own wrangling is much smarter than one person doing all the wrangling.

This would require that:
a) People give all the information that is required
b) have a decent list who actually maintains what

b is (mostly) accurate, so the main point is a

People do all kind of bug reports, starting from "click on X and the app crashes" over hundred lines of backtraces up to "you suck for not bumping / removing package XY"

A wizard would help partially at best because different issues need different info to have a bug resolved properly.
Sometimes emerge --info is helpful, sometimes it's plain trash when it comes to bash errors in scripts that run during a make install or someone telling that a new version is out and just renaming the ebuild works...

Bug Wrangling still needs a human to determine if the minimal set of info is required and bugs are really duplicates or not.

Also keep in mind that people are lazy and don't read duplicate reports all the time. (Yep we had some big fat "we know about it if you experience XY" already on the bugzie main page and still people filed duplicates of it)
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:

Conan, sorry but really really don't get it. I'm not an assign/CC script, and no, that's not what the work is about. Why Everyone Needs A Bugmaster :idea:
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@j-m: You give the strongest argument yourself why you should come back after 2 weeks of a nice & relaxing break Jakub ;-)

You've done a great job and you could just continue with that and a lot of people would be very grateful for that!!!

So please reconsider a comeback with a more relaxed attitude (I know this is easier written than done) ...

Best regards
swimmer
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bugmastering in a nutshell: The bugmaster voraciously reads as many bugs as possible, and attempts to help the organization deal with those bugs by constantly improving the quality of the bug information hackers/developers, leaders/managers, and QA/volunteers have.

If you don't think that's what jakub did, you have nfc about his work. Amne I am interested that your only input is to give a ++. Concerned is more like it. Not informing him of an official discussion about him for 9 months is simple abuse of process, and if that allegation is even halfway true the person or persons responsible should be sacked forthwith, or at minimum suspended for 3 months and not allowed to assume the same responsiblity on return. If an HR dept did that, they'd leave the organisation liable to a lawsuit they'd have no choice but to settle, and it would be expensive quite apart from the legal costs.

I have had my issues with jakub, but no way did he deserve this. I had thought the last straw after antarus would be Christel leaving at the end of the summer. Frankly I don't think Gentoo will last that long if some way isn't found to bring jakub back on board. We need him more than he needs us, let's get that straight.

/me mutters about spoilt devs who wouldn't last 5 minutes on the forums.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say one thing - I don't like the tendencies...
Last thing I saw on bugzilla before jacub retired was this bug and I thought what will happen if this holeheads retire spanky or make him leave.
Yes, of course there are other distributions, but I have tried most of them and don't like them...
So please somebody retire the chlory and the spb-clique, before it is too late, I don't care about paludis and mips and I don't care about whitespace QA, but I DO care about packages, which are QA-perfect from QA's POV, but teribly broken in their functionality and about slacker developers that know better
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:

So please somebody retire the chlory and the spb-clique, before it is too late, I don't care about paludis and mips and I don't care about whitespace QA, but I DO care about packages, which are QA-perfect from QA's POV, but teribly broken in their functionality and about slacker developers that know better

Good idea... unfortunately, noone has the guts to force this. Dropping MIPS altogether as a supported arch, together with all those horribly poisonous people, would have been a good step ahead. :evil:

[Mod Edit : Locked by NeddySeagoon to stop the mud slinging before it really gets started]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: