Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A self-built router (and more. Comments?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: A self-built router (and more. Comments?) Reply with quote

Ok, so I was on the porcelin throne the other day (isn't this where we all do our greatest thinking?), and since I will have two boxes in my room (one will be my desktop w/ a C2D, the other my current P4 as a file server), I might as well start working on myself a personal network, and hence build a router. There are a few things I was thinking of doing with said router, which includes (but may not be limited to):

Asterisk for both PCs, hooked into the home phone line. Not sure how this would work, but I'm sure you get my meaning
MythTV is a possibility, but definatly not required. I'd mostly just use it to play TV, and if I want, save a show (or two) to my file server for later viewing (this p4 will have ~1T of disk space once I can find myself two good 500G HDDs).
Firewall is pretty obvious, and the first of the functions is will handle.
DistCC, since I might as well use all three systems to compile everything. Hell, I might could manage OOo in the time I could watch a movie.

Something like this I was thinking of going with a smaller box (one that is easy to store, but not so small I'm afraid of it frying itself), but beyond that I'm not sure what all to install in such a thing. If I run Myth, I'm going to need at least a decent graphics card, for Asterisk, the card for it shouldn't be a pain (and fairly cheap from what I am told), and I know I will want a GB LAN (need to upgrade this p4 to it, and figure out what to do with the 10/100 in the mobo).

Comments, suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not necisarily looking for pretty - Function before flash.
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dralnu,

I have the following setup here at my home, hopefully one can get a picture of the setup:

internet
|
|
DLS ( Germany )
|
hardware router
|
|
GBit switch
|
|
|- "media center"
| |
| |- mythtv
| |- home stereo
| |- data storage
|
|
GBit switch
|
|
|- main work machine
|
|- SGI Octane2
|
|

So in your case you would replace the hardware router with a small machine an put an asterix gateway on it so your net should be able to connect to the world from there.
Also this machine would have the focus in respect to packet filtering, mangling and NAT and act as firewall.

As far as I know MythTv should work with the video overlay function of the hardware so any video card sold after win98 should do fine.

For storing / replaying of recorded shows the 100MB net should be fast enough ( I can play dvdimages via NFS on my octane )
but you might need to tweak the network settings or used buffers.

Also its possible to export /usr/portage via NFS to all the machines in the net so there is one central repository to update and also binary packages can be stored there if there is not much difference in architecture or use the ARCH value as subdirectory for storing packages.

As the box should run several "multimedia" applications you should look into -ck or -rt patchsets to improve max. system latency as you might not need to have a binary driver loaded for any card, would you?

Only my first ideas.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnakeByte wrote:
Hello Dralnu,

I have the following setup here at my home, hopefully one can get a picture of the setup:

internet
|
|
DLS ( Germany )
|
hardware router
|
|
GBit switch
|
|
|- "media center"
| |
| |- mythtv
| |- home stereo
| |- data storage
|
|
GBit switch
|
|
|- main work machine
|
|- SGI Octane2
|
|

Thats pretty much what I'm looking at, lol.

Quote:
So in your case you would replace the hardware router with a small machine an put an asterix gateway on it so your net should be able to connect to the world from there.
Also this machine would have the focus in respect to packet filtering, mangling and NAT and act as firewall.

Any suggestions on hardware? Right now this will be the 2nd router in the line (one is for the house, one is for my private network) before reaching my network.

Quote:
As far as I know MythTv should work with the video overlay function of the hardware so any video card sold after win98 should do fine.

For storing / replaying of recorded shows the 100MB net should be fast enough ( I can play dvdimages via NFS on my octane )
but you might need to tweak the network settings or used buffers.

100M might be enough, but I'd like to see about being able to do more then just view video or transfer data. Might be a pointless upgrade but, eh, I want to (and the cards don't cost to terribly much too, so..)

Quote:
Also its possible to export /usr/portage via NFS to all the machines in the net so there is one central repository to update and also binary packages can be stored there if there is not much difference in architecture or use the ARCH value as subdirectory for storing packages.

Hmm, I just remembered the NFS /usr/portage thing. I might keep one locally on my main box and on the router just in case something happens (backup and all that, you know). I don't think the arch thing will be a problem, though.

Quote:
As the box should run several "multimedia" applications you should look into -ck or -rt patchsets to improve max. system latency as you might not need to have a binary driver loaded for any card, would you?

That all depends. I still need input on hardware for this thing.

Quote:
Only my first ideas.

Helped alot, too. Thanks :)
pdr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your server is not directly connected to dsl modem/internet. Otherwise I wouldn't directly have my firewall machine also be my file/etc server. I was going to do that, but decided the security risk wasn't worth it - wanted the server behind a firewall (linksys router). So I am similar to SnakeByte (but with only one Gb switch):

Code:

+--desktop
                                                  |
internet---linksys router/firewall--+--Gb switch--+--server
                                    |
                                    +--(wireless)--laptop

I usually disable the wireless when I'm not using it, but for better security there should be a firewall between the wireless router and the intranet..
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there might be some confusion here, so...

Code:

NetGear WebSafe router (hard/software firewall)
                |                                    |
                |                                    parents comp
                |
 Router/Asterisk/MythTV(?) box
   |                                   |
Desktop                    File Server

I'm behind one firewall already. if I DO throw in another router for wireless, it would go between the NetGear and my personal Router.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: