bzImage does not exist! Help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJRAZZA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: bzImage does not exist! Help! Reply with quote

After spending over 24 hours installing Gentoo, I finally have everything done. Grub is installed, Gentoo is installed, and I reboot. The grub menu comes up, and it lists Gentoo Linux and Windows XP. I try logging into Windows first, and it works. So I try it with Linux, and I get an error, saying it can't find a file (error number 15 to be specific).

Well, it turns out that bzImage does not exist ANYWHERE on ANY of my hard drive partitions. I followed the installation instructions EXACTLY, so I don't know what could have gone wrong. The boot partition was mounted when I emerged grub. I checked to see if bzImage existed in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot, and it does not. Someone please help! Is there any way I can get this bzImage file so I can boot into Linux for the first time?
DJRAZZA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I actually figured it out on my own...it turns out there were two TINY little commands in the installation document that I overlooked, and these two commands were the ones that handled the bzImage file.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's the little things that always get us. Congrats! Hope you're enjoying Gentoo!
DJRAZZA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will once I get networking running....right now I can only stare at the command prompt, my fingers itching to emerge many different things. But that's another problem, one that I can hopefully solve.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJRAZZA wrote:
Nevermind, I actually figured it out on my own...it turns out there were two TINY little commands in the installation document that I overlooked, and these two commands were the ones that handled the bzImage file.

hehe, I love it how people say "I followed the installation instructions EXACTLY!" then they figure out they did infact miss something :S

funny how "little things" can cause such big problems ;)

let us know if you get stuck again :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: