View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascompltd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: strange X? problem Reply with quote

I have recently changed a number of things on my PC, I went from a Voodoo3 graphics card to a Nvidia Gforce4MX 64MB graphics card emerged the Nvidia stuff and X works fine managed to get 1152*864 resolution although screen claimed to be able to give 1280 * 1024 but I was quite happy with the setting I could get, But when I shut the box down the screen couldn't swith to the default settings so screen width was too wide.

Anyway For different reasons I have now changed my screen from the 17" CRT to a 15" TFT max resolution is now 1024*768 (Hardware forced) but I still get the shutdown problem only now screen goes blank as it cant switch rather than wrapping itself.

I am n ot sure if this is a hardware problem or if I can change the default console font size to resolve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated :?
cchapman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried
Code:
XFree86 -configure

To try the configuration do
Code:
XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new

If this works then
Code:
cp /root/XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config

This will select a hopefully working configuration and then you can tweakit from there[/code]
ascompltd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: not actually an X problem Reply with quote

Yes I have done that but its not X that is my problem it is switching back from X to console (ie when I shutdown I don't get to see any of the shutdown kernel messages) :(
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. After much, much googling around I discovered that this is a glitch in the nvidia card itself, specifically the gForce4mx.Even though you can't see anything you can blindly type: 'rmmod nvidia' the console screen SHOULD reset. It works for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: