Install system to start only one application (vmware) in X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antares2001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Install system to start only one application (vmware) in X Reply with quote

Hello!

I've got a question: I've installed a fresh gentoo system with X and vmware. So far it works. What I do want now is, that every time the system boots, it starts up X and uses vmware as the only program inside it. When the vmware is closed, the X server should be shut down and the system should do a shutdown and halt.

The simple reason is that this system is on a rather strong machine and the vmware then shall start a gentoo system for the user to work on as desktop, while also 3 virtual systems start up which act as servers and deliver various services (there's a gentoo server, one windows and one redhat in the vmware).

I'd like to thank you if you could tell me how I can setup X that way (only vmware startet as 'desktop' and shutdown on closeing vmware).

Thank you very much.
Iced-Tux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not using any login manager, try putting
Code:
exec vmware &

into your .xinitrc.
When you startx it will fire up vmware but nothing else. Also there is no windowmanager so you cannot resize your vmware window.
I would install some small windowmanager *openbox ;)* fire it up and restrict in such fashion that nothing but vmware can be accessed within it.
BTW if you have vmware running and you close X the vmwaresessions are still alive *when started*.
So perhaps you should look into starting as a server and connecting to it remotely.

Greetings
iced-tux
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: