View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to http://www.vipernicus.org and vote for your favorite scheduler. I have a poll on the right of the page.
DocterD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you merge dynticks for x86_64 in your next release?
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocterD wrote:
could you merge dynticks for x86_64 in your next release?

dynticks is default in 2.6.21
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immudium wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
If I can get 2 or 3 more votes, I'll revert back to SD for 2.6.21.

Give us a little more time with CFS before you decide. I'm pleased with it so far, but it's way too early to pass judgment. I could care less about higher temps, if any. My computer is here to do work, not sit there cooling itself off.

Edit:
Now that I've had to play around with it some more, I'm even more impressed with CFS. I typically run a mix of Java/Swing apps and Wine apps such as newsbin with a heavy dose of multimedia, mp3, x264. With Viper9/SD, wine/newsbin would become unresponsive after a couple of minutes like it was being starved. Also the audio of my mp3 and/or video would "hiccup" when context switching between windows in my java apps. With CFS and the same nice priority of -10, everything runs very smoothly. No glitches in audio, no unresponsive wine apps.

Try Viper9/SD with a prio boost of -19. Let me know if it reacts the same as CFS at -10.
RobertDavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immudium wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

Give us a little more time with CFS before you decide. I'm pleased with it so far, but it's way too early to pass judgment. I could care less about higher temps, if any. My computer is here to do work, not sit there cooling itself off.

Edit:
Now that I've had to play around with it some more, I'm even more impressed with CFS. I typically run a mix of Java/Swing apps and Wine apps such as newsbin with a heavy dose of multimedia, mp3, x264. With Viper9/SD, wine/newsbin would become unresponsive after a couple of minutes like it was being starved. Also the audio of my mp3 and/or video would "hiccup" when context switching between windows in my java apps. With CFS and the same nice priority of -10, everything runs very smoothly. No glitches in audio, no unresponsive wine apps.

Agrea with you, Im also here not to keep my computer cool, but: first the computer is significantly louder (mainly in the night) and second if you run 24/7 you also keep the computer to consume as little electricity as you can..

Second thing: I have never seen audio jumping/glitching problems on linux, maybe you have something bad configured.. (On my 600MHz notebook I sometimes open many programs and burn the cpu to 100% but no audio problems), maybe some wine bug (I can only see that few programs I run wine just "sleep" for a while when they get 100% CPU but it not affect native linux programs simulatenously running)
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertDavid wrote:
Looks nice, work fine, but I think CFS is not stuff for us with ATHCOOL activated, because it works against it, and its not good for long time usage (for me I have common 7+ days runtime), with SD I have 40-42'C, with CFS 50-51'C and it is like athcool disabled. And may or may not I dont a see a interactivity increase, (maybe Im on hw peek with SD, or CFS),, but I will continue to test that.:)

Do you think this might be because I left tickless out of this kernel. I'd think that would make a bit of a difference.
RobertDavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be, but I didnt have any bad results w/o tickless..?!?
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertDavid wrote:
May be, but I didnt have any bad results w/o tickless..?!?

You didn't have any bad results without tickless? I don't understand. Do you mean you didn't run -viper9 with tickless?
RobertDavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper9 with tickless, but I thing that I tryed also viper8 w/o,,, So I have adopted the patch from viper9 and now compiling...

EDIT: it work and is better, now the temperature goes down to ~44'C, so some 7-8'C less then before,, thanks for advice:)

And the responsivity is realy improved with CFS... (also I feel now more responsive than before w/o tickless, but it is subjective)
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertDavid wrote:
And the responsivity is realy improved with CFS... (also I feel now more responsive than before w/o tickless, but it is subjective)

Has your vote changed? ;)

Edit: Well, according to the votes on vipernicus.org, SD wins. So expect 2.6.21-viper1 to be SD with boost, and also 2.6.21-nicus1 to be CFSv6.
immudium
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
immudium wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

Edit:

Try Viper9/SD with a prio boost of -19. Let me know if it reacts the same as CFS at -10.

Well, I've gone back to viper9 and ran my typical desktop environment on several different SD Priority Boost values (-19, -10, -7, 0). My typical desktop environment consists of Eclipse, VLC Media player, several java apps running from eclipse and newsbin running in wine.
With all SD Boost values less than 0, audio glitches occur when switching between java windows and apps and newsbin in wine becomes unresponsive after about 2-3 minutes.
With SD Boost at 0, audio glitches still occur but less frequently. Wine/newsbin works much better and never becomes unresponsive or stops working.
With CFS at -10, I never got any audio glitches and never had any problems with wine apps after about 8 hours of use today.

I'll be sad to see CFS go next release. We hardly knew ye!
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports like this comparing Mainline, SD and CFS are interesting
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/27/1
immudium
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
Reports like this comparing Mainline, SD and CFS are interesting
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/27/1

Interesting read. Sounds like he basically came to the opposite conclusion I did about CFS vs SD, but then again he doesn't mention adjusting X priorities or anything, but it's nice to get another point of view with a different set of use cases. And based upon the comments he makes about the startup times of his apps being SLOW, he is in serious need of some hash-style voodoo and a perusal through cheater1034's install guide! :lol:
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, and the jury on whether we should renice X at all or not is still out, so his test case is very interesting for when the default is to not renice.
Rion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've made some more tests with this bug https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4024991.html#4024991

i compile kenrnel with genkernel. and use initramfs-genkernel file for boot splash on kernel initialization.
if i remove initrd from my grub.conf system boots fine.

about suggested patch:
i dont like patches which is only workaround but not solve real problem, so i not tested it anymore. it's better to boot without initrd

PS viper10
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This release seems to be using the bugged reiser4 patch as /bin/true was corrupted after a few hours of use.Use the reiser4 patch from viper4 instead.
This problem probably occurs with 2.6.21-nicus1 as well as it using the same patch.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:
This release seems to be using the bugged reiser4 patch as /bin/true was corrupted after a few hours of use.Use the reiser4 patch from viper4 instead.
This problem probably occurs with 2.6.21-nicus1 as well as it using the same patch.

There is no nonbugged reiser4 patch, the fix for the 0'ed files hasn't been released by reiser4 developers yet.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:

see viper7 :roll:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Rion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
There is no nonbugged reiser4 patch, the fix for the 0'ed files hasn't been released by reiser4 developers yet.
now understand why it happen on my system. so i'm going to try jfs
but where can i spy on changes in reiser4 code ?
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
darklegion wrote:

Are you sure? Its never happened with me on viper4 or dark6 (which I patched in the old viper4 reiser4 patch) and thats after weeks (months?) of use.It has ,however, happened with viper7 and it happened almost immediatly with viper10.Maybe its just a coincidence, though.I will note that booting back into a kernel with the older patch does not reverse the problem, but it doesn't seem to re-occur after emerging coreutils.
I'm currently running 2.6.21-nicus1 with the viper4 patch, with no problems yet.I'll stand corrected if it happens again, though :)
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there.
I got a problem with your patchset above 2.6.20-viper7: The Toshiba extras dont work any more.
Actually, the /proc/acpi/toshiba inferface is missing, so "fnfx" wont work.

Did you change something in viper8 and viper9 concerning acpi? I didnt notice anything in the changelog.
I haven't tried viper10 or 2.6.21-viper1, but I will soon.

Thanks

edit:
Code:
keinstein veit # dmesg | grep -i tosh
Toshiba System Managment Mode driver v1.11 26/9/2001
toshiba_acpi: Toshiba Laptop ACPI Extras version 0.19a-dev
toshiba_acpi:     HCI method: \_SB_.VALD.GHCI
toshiba_acpi: failed to register misc device 181 ("toshiba")
Pse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
darklegion wrote:

Are you sure? Its never happened with me on viper4 or dark6 (which I patched in the old viper4 reiser4 patch) and thats after weeks (months?) of use.It has ,however, happened with viper7 and it happened almost immediatly with viper10.Maybe its just a coincidence, though.I will note that booting back into a kernel with the older patch does not reverse the problem, but it doesn't seem to re-occur after emerging coreutils.
I'm currently running 2.6.21-nicus1 with the viper4 patch, with no problems yet.I'll stand corrected if it happens again, though :)

Given that most find the R4 patch from Viper4 fairly stable and much better than the later versions, I guess it wouldn't have been too crazy to put it in in this release. Ah, well, too late... I'll be trying ext4 the following days, what's that 'dealloc' option I keep reading about? I can't seem to find any info =( Is it safe to use?
buddabrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_allocation

I tried ext4 and it's now my root fs. It's incredibly fast and more stable than reiser4 ;)
Pse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddabrod wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_allocation

I tried ext4 and it's now my root fs. It's incredibly fast and more stable than reiser4 ;)

So, the recommended options are 'extents,dealloc'. Should I add anything else for a root filesystem? 'noatime' perhaps? Any there any particular journal modes? My google-fu is considerately weak today :(

[EDIT] Nevermind, found them :)
Überspeed, less safe: 'noatime,extents,dealloc,data=writeback,nobh'
Cool: 'extents,dealloc'
Conservative: 'data=journal'

[EDIT-2] It's 'delalloc'. Thanks buddabrod!

Last edited by Pse on Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
_sys/sid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delayed allocation patch, isn't into viper sources...
EXT4-fs: Unrecognized mount option "dealloc" or missing value

http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/LATEST/broken-out/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: