Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fonts messed up using mozilla with fluxbox.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: fonts messed up using mozilla with fluxbox. Reply with quote

Hi, I have a strange issue with my fonts in mozilla when I use fluxbox. some lines look as if they have simply been cut in half, others are much to small, while most lines look normal. if i highlight a line, the problems go away.
but the really strange thing is, that i do only have these problems using fluxbox. when using gnome everything is fine.

any ideas?
stustill
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes have this problem. Haven't noticed it recently, but I believe I read somewhere that it is a bug in mozilla, that is very difficult to reproduce, and is not likely to be fixed :(

Stu
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx, its allways good to know im not the onlyone. :D

guess i will have to take a look around for another browser to use with fluxbox, thats not based on mozilla. :wink:
Sherd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're definitely not the only one.

I get this problem whenever I scroll.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sherd,
like i said, i went looking for an other browser and am right now trying the new opera and so far i really like it.

if you get annoyed by mozilla to much maybe you should give it a try. :wink:
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not your browser, its your fonts. The reason it changes when you highlight it, is that it switches font.

Did you install xfs? Did you try turning on anti-aliasing?

I'm use Mozilla and my fonts look fine.

-Jeff
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its not your browser, its your fonts. The reason it changes when you highlight it, is that it switches font.

believe me, its the browser. my fonts look great in other applications. they even look great in mozilla when i use it in gnome (locked in as the same user as in fluxbox, by the way) and yes they are antialiased.

the problem only occours when im using mozilla in fluxbox. and even then most of the lines look good, there are just a few lines that are wrong. so i really think its a mozilla specific problem.
:D
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I'll install fluxbox and see if it does it in mine.
mxskweeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with MoFirebird. I too have been told it's a bug in gecko (kind of fitting... being a lizard and all). I tried the following just to see what would happen:

- Use freetype2 was set to false in unix.js. I turned it on.
- tested
- Disabled AA in fonts.conf
- tested

Same results with both of the above... and it's definitely when I scroll. The change in unix.js didn't seem to make any difference, as fonts were already AA in MF before I made that change. I'm just grasping here. I don't know if I can swing the Opera direction or not - its interpretation of CSS was so... unique... last time I tried it (5.x). I've read that it rocks with CSS now, so if I can live with the adds maybe I'll do it for awhile. I love MF though... it's so beautiful in every other respect.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did for nice fonts in Mozilla (uses gtk2) in KDE:

First I run gnome-font-properties (you have to su to root first) and setup my fonts to my liking. Then I put a sym link to gnome-settings-daemon into my kde autostart folder, any apps (including KDE/Qt) started after the daemon starts will use the fonts defined by gnome-font-properties. However, fonts will be way too big in KDE/Qt, so I then go into font settings in KDE Control Panel and make them smaller. The desktop and kicker start up before the gnome-settings-daemon so I just use xkill to kill those 2 items and run them again.

I'm thinking the same process can be applied for fluxbox. Have gnome-settings-daemon running in the background to override font settings, and define them in the gnome font panel.

Screenshot
Using Bitstream Vera Sans font.
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that seems like a bit of a hack to me ... i'm assuming the original poster read Setting up fonts in mozilla and phoenix and looked around on this forum. I also use fluxbox and Phoenix 0.5, and i have no problem whatsoever with it. I get everything nicely anti-aliassed and problem free. Did you also check the font settings in mozilla itself? Good luck with the whole thing :).
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, thanks for all your help.

i did some more testing and the problem only gets stranger.i still get this problem only in fluxbox and only on certain sites. unfortunatly, the gentoo-forums are one of them. for example, when browsing this thread in gnome everything is fine, but when browsing it in fluxbox several lines are to small or cut of.

i played around with the font settings in mozilla, increased and decreased the font size, changed the resolution (as was suggested in an other thread), but still nothing helps. :cry:

maybe i have to change some settings in fluxbox to get it working, but frankly, i have no idea what to do.

thanks again for your help :D and i will do some more hunting around and see if i can solve this problem.

edit: hmm, maybe i found a solution, i set the disply resolution in mozilla to 96 dpi and this time restarted X and now it seems to work, wich of course doesn't mean to much, as i had this problem disappear before and then suddenly come back. *hoping* 8O
Sherd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, ralph!

Quite like opera now.

-edit-

You're right, 96dpi's the fix I was after. Cheers.
zatalian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautifull :D 96 dpi is working for me too
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: