Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE: global shortcuts not working properly (multimedia keys)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adancau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: KDE: global shortcuts not working properly (multimedia keys) Reply with quote

The story goes like this:

Installed Gentoo, X, KDE (3.5.5), did the trick with xmodmap, multimedia keys & globa shortcuts worked fine (i.e. the Media key was launching Amarok, Shift+Sleep rebooted, etc)

I did an emerge --sync, followed by an emerge --deep world. After rebooting, I have the following situation:

Multimedia keys are recognized when I go into Control Center and set up global shortcuts. They also work in Amarok and in Konqueror. In KMix they don't work at all.
The global shortcuts set up in Control Center don't work (i.e. pressing the Media key to launch Amarok doesn't do a thing). When having Amarok open, the Play, Pause, Next, Prev, Volume and all the others work and do what they are supposed to do. In Konqueror they work as well (pressing WWW takes me to Home, as assigned).

I'm thinking that something intercepts the keys and prevents them from working normally, but I have no idea what app is doing this. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

EDIT:

Ok, I noticed that applications that run on startup aren't getting the multimedia keys shortcuts. If Amarok starts automatically it won't work with the shortcuts. Again, if I restart Kmix, it starts accepting shortcuts.
adancau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution, finally found it :) :

Apparently the multimedia key configuration was not being read early enough to matter for the system and the applications that started automatically. Previously I was calling xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmap.conf from my KDE startup folder.

Adding this line in /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xsession (at the beginning):
Code:

/usr/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmap.conf

solved the problem. Multimedia keys global shortcuts are now working properly.

($HOME/.xmodmap.conf is the configuration map for the multimedia keys)
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine stopped working too. The change you suggested didn't work...also restarting kmix doesn't work. But when I go into configure global shortcuts, it recognizes the volume keys as xf86audioraisevolume and xf86audiolowervolume...but it doesn't work at all with kmix.
floschuh85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some strange behaviour too. Soundcontrols work properly, but the programkeys like Firefox/Mail or console didn't, although kcontrol recognised them. This is really strange. Unfortunately your fix didn't help for me... Any other suggestions? I'm absolutely clueless.

Flo
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to fix this for a session at a time by opening the Control Center and going to Regional & Accessibility -> Input Actions -> Global Settings -> General Settings. Then, check "Disable KHotKeys daemon", click Apply, un-check the box, then click Apply again. I haven't rebooted since then, but I'm guessing it will have to be redone when I do.
floschuh85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQgryn wrote:
I was able to fix this for a session at a time by opening the Control Center and going to Regional & Accessibility -> Input Actions -> Global Settings -> General Settings. Then, check "Disable KHotKeys daemon", click Apply, un-check the box, then click Apply again. I haven't rebooted since then, but I'm guessing it will have to be redone when I do.

This didn't help for me, but i found "my" solution... Just changed the KeyboardTyp to another one... Refer to this one...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: