View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: ebuild! Reply with quote

mkay, here's my ebuild for the latest e2fsprogs. obviously as patch :P... but pretty straigt-forward.

there IS a livecd with all that: "Parted Magic" !

hope this helps! (using windows vista myself since a week... new laptop and all... *duck*)

Code:
--- /usr/portage/sys-fs/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39-r2.ebuild      2007-07-12 05:06:25.000000000 +0200
+++ /usr/local/portage/sys-fs/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39-r2.ebuild        2007-08-23 23:37:36.000000000 +0200
@@ -6,7 +6,8 @@

DESCRIPTION="Standard EXT2 and EXT3 filesystem utilities"
 HOMEPAGE="http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/"
-SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/${PN}/${P}.tar.gz"
+SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/${PN}/${P}.tar.gz
+http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/e2fsprogs-interim/LATEST/e2fsprogs-1.39-tyt3-rollup.patch.bz2"

LICENSE="GPL-2 BSD"
 SLOT="0"
@@ -23,19 +24,11 @@
 src_unpack() {
        unpack ${A}
        cd "${S}"
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/${P}-blkid-memleak.patch #171844
-       # Fix locale issues while running tests #99766
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-1.38-tests-locale.patch
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-1.38-locale.patch #131462
        # Fix a cosmetic error in mk_cmds's help output.
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/e2fsprogs-1.32-mk_cmds-cosmetic.patch
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/e2fsprogs-1.39-util-strptime.patch
        chmod u+w po/*.po # Userpriv fix #27348
-       # Clean up makefile to suck less
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/e2fsprogs-1.39-makefile.patch
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/e2fsprogs-1.39-parse-types.patch #146903
-       # Fixes libintl handling on non-glibc #122368
-       epatch "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-1.39-libintl.patch
+        epatch "${DISTDIR}"/e2fsprogs-1.39-tyt3-rollup.patch.bz2

# kernel headers use the same defines as e2fsprogs and can cause issues #48829
        sed -i \
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:

ext4 or reiser4?

Actually you should skip both.
reiser4 will never enter the kernel, and while it's surely faster, it's actually unmaintained or so
(guilty or not, the creator is not working on it anymore).

Ext4 is actually not so-safe being beta, and there isn't really any other big feat than data-safety for this fs
(yep, it can assign exabytes partitions, but inodes heavily limit the recovery speed, so a 1 terabyte partition
will require about 1 hour fsck ...), I think is mainly for servers and other data critical task (where you
don't want to risk to lose the 20 bytes you wrote before the system crashed, there's no more data loss in other fs,
except some report of reiser4).

If you're searching for a big size partition go XFS, if you need to handle millions of little files you may consider
reiserfs or reiser4 (but be warned of fragmenting issues for the first and data loss reports for the second),
otherwise go ext3.

If instead you want to experiment, try ZFS fuse module or Btrfs (this IMHO is what can really become the next
preferred users linux fs, if Oracle will support it the right way and will not do bad jokes).
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btrfs ftw :D
it's extremely promising and I hope the developer includes compression and encryption support as well - then this will be THE filesystem
even at this early stage it's already faster than the reiser filesystems (which are the fastest from the experience & tests I've run)

Quote:
but be warned of fragmenting issues for the first and data loss reports for the second

was that referred to reiser4 only or also to reiserfs ?

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

Matteo Azzali wrote:

reiserfs or reiser4 (but be warned of fragmenting issues for the first and data loss reports for the second),

As said, framentation issues for the first (reiserfs, 3.x) and data loss for the second (reiser4).

That reiser3.x has serious fragmentation issues (in addition to an higher cpu usage) is not a mystery.

There is no advantage in running ext4 either.
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Btrfs ftw :D
it's extremely promising and I hope the developer includes compression and encryption support as well - then this will be THE filesystem
even at this early stage it's already faster than the reiser filesystems (which are the fastest from the experience & tests I've run)

Quote:
but be warned of fragmenting issues for the first and data loss reports for the second

was that referred to reiser4 only or also to reiserfs ?

While compression is a nice feature, remember that's cpu demanding (yes, even in ntfs). This gets less important as the time
passes and cpus get faster, but's still an issue. Also the main advantage of compression is usually just for little files (that is, ie:
textfiles) , cause bigger ones are likely already compressed (you get no advantages from avi or mp3 compression, for example,
the algorithms are the same as common archivers).
This means in a mixed-use partition you'll not see more than 15-20% space saved (I suspect no more than 10%), and while
the portage case would give some more Mb , any user data partition (which has usually compressed images, video or music for
70-80% of its space) would get minimal or unnoticeable size gain.
marsclic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reiser 4 reliability Reply with quote

Since I've been using Reiser4 for more than 2 years now, I can say from experience that it's very reliable. I am using it on a 4 disk raid-0 on a quad opteron. I've been experimenting with this box a lot and I've had lock-ups due to experimental kernels, over-volting and over-clocking, not to mention the storm last week that blew-away both my UPS's. Through all of this Reiser4 hasn't lost a SINGLE byte of data. I haver never experienced ANY data-loss with Reiser4. Unfortunately I cannot say this of ext3 or for that matter, Reiser3. I also have benchmarked Reiser4 against ext3 and xfs and found it to be the fastest filesystem for my particular hardware, by a long shot. Reiser4 has been released a long time ago, while ext4 is still in heavy development. I have used both the -mm and morph kernel series. So my recommendation would be to go ahead and use Reiser4 if your hardware is good enough, and make sure you have a bootable recovery CD/DVD with Reiser4 included.
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to enter a possible flame war, but I must say that the probabilities of Reiser4 ever entering the mainline kernel (Linus' tree) as ReiserFS 3 did are near to zero.Why? because, amongs other reasons:
  1. Its inventor and main developer is not available. It doesn't matter that he is in prison, or on a vacation in Hawaii, just that he is no able to support his creation.
  2. It is not the first time that Hans Reiser has suffered from the "kid programmer syndrome": he starts something, leaves it in a semi-stable state (reiserfs) and then moves on to his next "grand creation". This is not necessarily a bad thing (I can't track count of how many "grand projects" I have unfinished), as Linus did it himself - but he returned to support and manage his creation. Support for ResierFS has been nearly discontinued, and even bugfixes are no longer being introduced without extreme resistance by the developers
  3. Reiser4 is based on recent technology. This is both good (there _could_ be a lot of room for space and improvement, _if_ the concept is good) and bad (it is untried relative to other FSs whose base technologies have been around for much longer)
This does not imply that Reiser4 is not a good filesystem, only that the maintainers of the mainline kernel consider its developers undependable on. Which means that you will always be relying on patched kernel sources - but this is not new, most of us use gentoo-sources, so distros could include Reiser4 with their patches.

This being said, I have 3 boxes: my secondary box and my laptop use reiserfs as a high-performing root partition, but my main box has ext3: why? stability. It's not the first time I've seen reiserfs go down in flames (and rebuilding the tree usually discard some 33% of files :roll:). I hope Reiser4 improves in this aspect, which, as I said, will no longed be improved in ReiserFS 3 because the developers have completely moved to reiser4 (as a comparison, the Linux 2.4 kernel is still being mantained for bugfixes)
EB FD   jmp $-3
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Habbit: there's one more reason. After claiming that Reiser4 was ready for insertion into kernel
for 3 years, and refusing any critic on how the code was written or the non-compliance of the plugin system,
Hans Reiser declared that there were bugs and things to fix and that in some months there would have been
Reiser 4.1 to fix everything (in which case someone to review his kernel-compliant code whould have "spawned").

In july 2006 he talked about "a month or two for reiser 4.1"(search google if you're skeptics). In october instead,
it was still not ready and instead happened that "accident" (the arrest, I don't have anything against Reiser and I hope he'll be
free if innocent), Hans Reiser sold the Namesys, and sadly actually still nothing about Reiser 4.1 .

Other than this there's also a little issue about bugfixing policy (read it carefully, please).

Chanches that Reiser 4 / 4.1 will ever enter the kernel are actually under 1%, if someone doesn't start to clean
and rewrite that code (to be written within kernel quality standards, support the VFS plugins/modules system,etc.etc.)
and then grants some kind of support/bugfixing (in the GPL meaning of support/bugfixing, no tricks on definitions).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: