View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm suing xfs right now, but need to increase my partition size to extend at the beginning of the partition, therefore, I aparently cannot use xfs_growfs.
So I will have to reformat anyway, and was wondering which one was besser: ext4 or reiser4?

I'm also wondering if this source is reliable: http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm, because he states:
Quote:
As you can see, REISER4 is a truly remarkable filesystem.

This is the real reason that REISER4 has not been included in the Linux kernel.
This is the real reason that Hans Reiser languishes in an Oakland prison cell at this time.

WHAT? Is he really accusing the kernel developpers to sabotage reiser4 because it's good???

well anyway, sorry that this has ben posted about 100 times, but I really didnt want to read through 25 pages.

greetings

ps: using 2.6.21-viper1, and i'm talking about my root filesystem.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN,

They are both incomplete and experimentail. Only choose either if you maintain full current backups and don't mind using them

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:
Hi!
I'm suing xfs right now, but need to increase my partition size to extend at the beginning of the partition, therefore, I aparently cannot use xfs_growfs.
So I will have to reformat anyway, and was wondering which one was besser: ext4 or reiser4?

That will only lead to a flamewar and nothing more. If you wanna know, try yourself. Both are experimental, both are incomplete, both are unstable, and both are filesystems.

Quote:

I'm also wondering if this source is reliable: http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm, because he states:
Quote:

This is the real reason that Hans Reiser languishes in an Oakland prison cell at this time.

WHAT? Is he really accusing the kernel developpers to sabotage reiser4 because it's good???

well anyway, sorry that this has ben posted about 100 times, but I really didnt want to read through 25 pages.

It is as reliable as any other source in the internet. As reliable as anything I can say here. Is it possible that Torvalds is a brother of Terminator? Maybe. Is it probable? Well, I think you can answer that yourself.

It is not like reiser is a secret thing, anyone can look at the code and steal it, there is absolutely no need to kill anyone, and that will not change the fact that reiser is property of namesys. I hate when people joke around with silly things like this one. It is a very serious issue and anyone stating things like that without any proof only deserve one adjective that I preffer not to write.

We have enough sensationalism in the world already. No need to introduce it in linux. If a person has no serious thing to say, it is better to stay quiet.
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is not about philosophy, or "dont use reiser4, its code isn't pretty!", I just want to know about the PERFORMANCE of those filesystems. I keep full backups, no biggy if they randomly explode.....
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you don't mind screwing things out then go along and use whatever you preffer.

Reiser4 is supossedly in the lines of performance, while ext4 is an improved ext3, with many additions, amongst them, support for bigger filesystems. That should not be a concern for you unless you need anything above 8-16 terabytes.

There's enough around both of them in the net. Just google a bit.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:
Hi!

Mind that that's a restriction shared by most filesystems
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:

Nope, it is not a very reliable source, alot of the conclusions he comes to are not logical.

I'll refer to you to the reiser4 thread in Unsupported Software, where predatorfreak finally speaks out on that very popular reiser4 benchmark:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4030682.html#4030682

Everything the auther posts in RED (excluding graphs) is utter crap. I almost wonder if that website is a joke.
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, since vipernicus is really into ext4, and I like his patchset, I'll just assume he's right and give it a try.

vipernicus, what mkfs flags, and what mount flags do you use? recomendations? how-tos :D? (yes, one asking for howtos should not be using experimental kernel patchsets, yet alone an experimental root filesystem)
otherwise I would simply use the mount-options "extents,data=writeback", and the documentation at http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/files/ext4.txt
but if you have any other tunings, please tell me which :D

thanks!

btw: awesome patchset!
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am confused the official reiserfs site says that reiser4 has been released
So is it released or is it still experimntal?
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:
okay, since vipernicus is really into ext4, and I like his patchset, I'll just assume he's right and give it a try.

vipernicus, what mkfs flags, and what mount flags do you use? recomendations? how-tos :D? (yes, one asking for howtos should not be using experimental kernel patchsets, yet alone an experimental root filesystem)
otherwise I would simply use the mount-options "extents,data=writeback", and the documentation at http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/files/ext4.txt
but if you have any other tunings, please tell me which :D

thanks!

btw: awesome patchset!

Thanks.

Realize before accepting any of my recommendations that ext4dev is still under development, and like reiser4 COULD harm data. I only recommend putting ext4dev on partitions that could use some file cleansing.

My preference:
noatime,extents,delalloc,data=journal

Quick & Dirty How-To:
mke2fs -j /dev/sda5
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/sda5
mount -t ext4dev /dev/sda5 /mnt/gentoo -o noatime,extents,delalloc

You can get an ext4dev enabled e2fsprogs from my overlay svn://vipernicus.org/vipernicus if you don't already have one.
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about e2fsprogs: I have -1.39-r2 (the one in portage).
when I diff -r1.ebuild and -r2.ebuild, the latter one does NOT have the ext4 patches included...
the changelog also states that the support has been dropped, even though +files/e2fsprogs-1.39-ext4-prototypes.patch has been added.

I'm confused.
Can I grab your overlay via layman or just with svn?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, come on, ext4 is far from completion, and as kernel develops on lkml.org state it currently more resembles ext3 than ext4 :wink:

if you really need performance I'd go for a 2.6.20 viper-based kernel with 2.6.20-viper4 reiser4 patch, then you're getting somewhere :D

2.6.21 for the moment seems to screw reiser4 /root partitions, non-root reiser4 partitions seem to work fine, currently using 4 of them & no corruptions so far with 2.6.21 kernels

=> I never had corruptions with reiser-based partitions, whereas with ext3 + co. I already had several data loss (& friends of mine as well)

some data:

ext4dev is not bad, but it uses much more space & is loud like ext3; its performance is comparable to reiserfs++ == little to no slower than reiser4 (just got accustomed to the silent operations of reiser4 :lol: )

reiser4 is the most space-efficient file-system I know of, its pros are: silent (not so loud hdd-operations & though more hdd-friendly), uses pretty little space (even less with cryptcompress), most performant with copy & delete as well, very data safe (atomic operations, if some problems / corruptions with reiser4-driver occurs no data loss)

if ext4 & reiser4 are no option reiserfs & jfs are more sane options ... xfs in my opinion is a hdd-killer :lol:

just as vipernicus / previous posters wrote: try it out for yourself, but I'll say you'll love reiser4 (provided it works with the kernel you choose :roll: )

just my 2ct :wink:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D

Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
ext4dev is not bad, but it uses much more space & is loud like ext3; its performance is comparable to reiserfs++ == little to no slower than reiser4 (just got accustomed to the silent operations of reiser4 :lol: )

ext4 is faster on my pata than reiser4. Also, if you use compression with ext4, it saves alot of space as well.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

ext4 is faster on my pata than reiser4. Also, if you use compression with ext4, it saves alot of space as well.

which hardware do you have?

one disadvantage is that reiser4 needs pretty performant hardware :cry:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reasons for choosing ext4 over reiser4 would be, that reiser4 appears to have ugly code, and therefore is disliked by kernel developers, ergo not really future-compatible. ext4 on the other hand is more actively developed, and will in the end be bettter than reiser4, AND in the mainstream-kernel. So why not use it now, accept the little speed disadvantage over reiser4 (or not, according to vipernicus), and screw murder-reiser4 (this was a joke, do not burn me).
Another reason would be my bad experience with reiser4. Lost all my data a year ago.

what about the e2fsprogs now?
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:
my reasons for choosing ext4 over reiser4 would be, that reiser4 appears to have ugly code, and therefore is disliked by kernel developers, ergo not really future-compatible. ext4 on the other hand is more actively developed, and will in the end be bettter than reiser4, AND in the mainstream-kernel. So why not use it now, accept the little speed disadvantage over reiser4 (or not, according to vipernicus), and screw murder-reiser4 (this was a joke, do not burn me).
Another reason would be my bad experience with reiser4. Lost all my data a year ago.

what about the e2fsprogs now?

emerge subversion
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/vipernicus
cd /usr/local/overlays/vipernicus
svn co svn://vipernicus.org/vipernicus
echo PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/overlays/vipernicus" >> /etc/make.conf
emerge -pv e2fsprogs

That should do it, and when you want to update the repo, just run:
cd /usr/local/overlays/vipernicus
svn up
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer data integrity over file system performance myself so I ain't changing from Ext3 for quite some time
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I prefer data integrity over file system performance myself so I ain't changing from Ext3 for quite some time
++

Ext3 is currently Fast Enough(tm) for my needs, though Ext4dev is looking really nice (perhaps I'll try that on /usr or other partitions that can be easily reinstalled/replaced come Fedora 7 in a few weeks...)
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using ext4 now. hm. not much of a difference :P yet. But hey, now I can say that I'm using ext4 ;)
got a few problems inititially with non-working init, I guess it was because of missing /dev. used makedev, now everything seems to work just fine. should have closed amarok before backing up...
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ext4 or reiser4? Reply with quote

Quote:

Wait ... is he actually, seriously saying Reiser is in jail is because he wrote a 'truly remarkable filesystem'? I thought he was in jail because:
Quote:
On October 11, 2006, law-enforcement officials said that splatters of blood had been found in Hans Reiser's house and car. DNA tests could not rule out Nina Reiser as the source of the blood. Officials have not located the passenger seat of his 1989 Honda CRX Si hatchback. They also indicated that they had seized two books on homicide investigation purchased by Reiser on September 8—five days after his wife's disappearance— "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets," by David Simon, and "Masterpieces of Murder," by Jonathan Goodman.
Either way - ext4 vs reiser4 - they're not that much different.

btw - looking at the benchmarks you linked - they're playing on all of Reiser4's strengths. Lots of files, lots of small files, and easily compressible files. It's a great filesystem, but I wish they'd be objective when they're toting it.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kEiNsTeiN wrote:
using ext4 now. hm. not much of a difference :P yet. But hey, now I can say that I'm using ext4 ;)
got a few problems inititially with non-working init, I guess it was because of missing /dev. used makedev, now everything seems to work just fine. should have closed amarok before backing up...

Hey, big improvement in ext4 speed in the patch I updated, here http://vipernicus.org/2007/05/01/kernel-releases/2621-light3-small/ .
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaumux wrote:
Now I am confused the official reiserfs site says that reiser4 has been released
So is it released or is it still experimntal?

Namesys is the owner of reiser4, so, if they say it is released, it is released.

That doens't mean it has to go into the official kernel. Reiser4 is a standalone product, and not directly related to the linux kernel in any way. It is not into the linux kernel tree for a number of reasons.
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i didn't mean why isn't it included in the kernel but the simple question that is it still experimental or released or is it released and experimental?
though can can you please give me some link that i can know for what reasons its not in the kernel
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaumux wrote:
Actually i didn't mean why isn't it included in the kernel but the simple question that is it still experimental or released or is it released and experimental?
though can can you please give me some link that i can know for what reasons its not in the kernel

I don't seek that debate since long ago.

But if you google a bit you can find many threads in many places. Some random ones (i didn't check them, so some might be more or less accurate than other):

http://kerneltrap.org/node/6844
http://kerneltrap.org/node/5679
http://www.thisishull.net/showthread.php?t=251443
http://kerneltrap.org/node/3736

Some says there are political reasons. There are also some other reasons regarding coding style and also technical reasons. And there is also some people that feel reticent to include it just because Hans Reiser did the same with reiser3, and the stopped maintaining it, leaving a buggy piece into the kernel that no one is willing to maintain (and some people feel that the same could happen with reiser4).

There is also the legal problems of Hans, and the uncertainty of what is going to happen to him and Namesys in the near future. Surely that is not an official reason, but obviously, it also influences the cause.

shaumux wrote:

Still, it is namesys the one that should pronounce about that. Users and external entities like the linux kernel people, can only comment if it is stable for them or not. But they can't declare if it is experimental. That belongs to the reiser4 owners. If they say it is a finished product, well, they it is. The quality of that product is another issue.
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
The last post was exactly what i was looking for
So to sum it up its the uncertainty of reiserfs's future which is influencing the problem.
f the there weren't an uncertain future the chances that the other reasons could have been fixed but that thats also uncertain now.
Am i correct?

Also is the jfs in the kernel jfs or jfs2
I read that jfs2 is a 64 bit filesystem while my system is 32 biy and hence the confusion and reading from the above post i think its reliable.
I may be wrong though, I am no expert.
But how about its performance?
I don't know if i am right or wrong but reiserfs is supposed to be be very space efficient and fast
Can i get the same performance from jfs?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: