Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'm so sad. My Athlon-XP cannot handle Gentoo anymore.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: I'm so sad. My Athlon-XP cannot handle Gentoo anymore. Reply with quote

I think I busted my CPU. It can't compile large things anymore such as qt and glibc. I often encounter segfaults during an emerge especially when I have my L2 cache enabled. I already beefed-up my cooling mechanism, but it just got worse as I have noticed. My ram has no errors at all after 15 hrs of running memtest. I really love this distro and I don't want to leave. But my machine became weak. I'll have to install something that gives less CPU load such as Arch-Linux or Debian to get it up again. Oh well. I'll just go back to Gentoo as soon as I got another machine.
Huttu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you so sure that your cpu is broken? Do you experience similar problems with other cpu-intensive tasks?
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so because I already made sure that the software is working fine, and that my memory sticks are sane. There is nothing else to blame for the lockups, hangs, and segfaults that I experienced other than the CPU. At first I thought it is just a cooling problem so I upgraded the fans, heatsinks, and applied thermal grease.

All of the segfaults I experienced are during installation. The first one in gettext, which was solved by disabling my L2 cache. There are packages that frequently cause a segfault, like qt, which prevents me from having a complete system tuned for my needs. I even tried to install anew to make sure that the software has no problems at all. Same thing happens.

It's ok though. My CPU is already 4 years old, and I beat it up everyday. Plus, I live in a quite hot country. And I can still continue using Gentoo in my much older Duron machine, although it is not my main workstation.
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it is more likely that some underling library is wrongly compiled. What are your CFLAGS, etc?
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to melt my Athlon XP installing Gentoo :(

But I replaced it with a dual Athlon MP box.. I am happy. :)
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it dies whenever you have some CPU intensive task, seems like a different distro would still give stability issues. Why not just get a new proc?
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CHOST is i686. I haven't tried having a new proc yet. How would I do it in the first place?

As of now, I am running Debian in this machine. Gentoo is still feels better than other distros.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Areyou sure it really isn't your memory? How long did you run memtest86? You will likely need to run it overnight to ensure things are actually ok.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a good look at your cpu fan. Perhaps it has accumulated enough dust to prevent good airflow over the cpu, thus resulting in instability due to overheating. Another suspect is your PSU.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrVahn,

How much thermal grease did you apply ?
Did you remove the old compound first ?

The top of your CPU and the bottom of the heatsink need to be very clean, then you put a very thin layer of thermal grease on one surface only. The idea is to have enough grease to dispalace any air but no more. Too much thremal grease is as bad as too little - the CPU runs hotter than it needs to.

CPU failures are rare - the CPU would normally fail its built in tests and fail to boot.

Turning off the L2 cache reduces the load on the PSU, so everything runs cooler. That suggests your problem is PSU or motherboard related. A part of your PSU is on the motherboard too, so it may not be the PSU box.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrVahn wrote:
I think so because I already made sure that the software is working fine, and that my memory sticks are sane. There is nothing else to blame for the lockups, hangs, and segfaults that I experienced other than the CPU. At first I thought it is just a cooling problem so I upgraded the fans, heatsinks, and applied thermal grease.

Did you -by any chance- check the cpu temp? It is the first things you should be looking at. Mind that, even if you "upgraded" your heatsink, you can still have the same problem (if the sink if equal or worse than the previous one, and please, don't tell me it is bigger or something like that, I already hear that everyday at work, and it is not a good reason, believe me). Choose a full copper heatsink, only that can save an athlon-xp. Full copper, not just a small copper piece on the bottom.

Check the temperature.

adsmith wrote:
Honestly, I think it is more likely that some underling library is wrongly compiled. What are your CFLAGS, etc?

Random segfaults at compile time = hardware problems.

mikegpitt wrote:
Areyou sure it really isn't your memory? How long did you run memtest86? You will likely need to run it overnight to ensure things are actually ok.

I would say even more. Even if the test is succesfull, that doesn't directly mean that it can't be a faulty ram stick. So, I would still try a couple of different ram sticks (brand new, if possible) after discarding ram as the source of the problem.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
MrVahn,

How much thermal grease did you apply ?
Did you remove the old compound first ?

The top of your CPU and the bottom of the heatsink need to be very clean, then you put a very thin layer of thermal grease on one surface only. The idea is to have enough grease to dispalace any air but no more. Too much thremal grease is as bad as too little - the CPU runs hotter than it needs to.

MrVahn, listen to Neddy, that's how it should be done.

Quote:

CPU failures are rare - the CPU would normally fail its built in tests and fail to boot.

Except for this part. CPU's, just like mobos, are not just a simple device, they have lots of "small" machines into them that could fail. Not all of them are vital for all purposes. A cpu can continue working (or seeming to work) when it is already broken. Even more, it can work or refuse to work depending on voltage, temperature or clock speed. I have seen this lots of times. It is a behaviour that is recurrent in athlon-xp cpus. They are particularly vulnerable to heat, and a "broken" cpu (aka, a cpu that suddenly starts to segfault when is hot) can continue working if you manage to maintain the temperature under 35 or 40 celsius degrees.

Quote:

Turning off the L2 cache reduces the load on the PSU, so everything runs cooler. That suggests your problem is PSU or motherboard related. A part of your PSU is on the motherboard too, so it may not be the PSU box.

Mmm, it could be, it is not impossible. But broken mobos tend to act much more in a funky way. I have seen cases where the IDE controller just stops working (the rest of the components were all working ok, I can even boot from usb or SCSI devices). Or in-boards graphic chips that die. Anyway, the fact that he disabled the cache and the segfaults continue, demonstrates that it is not (only) the cache. There's something (more) that is broken.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink,

I had in mind the Vcore regulator on the motherboard. Failing capacitors cause these sorts of symptoms

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
6thpink,

I had in mind the Vcore regulator on the motherboard. Failing capacitors cause these sorts of symptoms

To be frank, I don't have so much knowledge about circuits, I know about the theory, I can make a ram stick on paper or design a basic ALU, but I never needed to practice this things in anything that is not a test table. So, I only spoke form my own statistics. I saw lots and lots of athlon-xp's with the same symptoms, and I am pretty sure it was the cpu, because changing it by another athlon-xp it just worked.

Those micros work ok, but anything that is not a copper heatsink, is a ticket for them to the dustbin. Sooner or later.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an new PSU.

When the CPU is compiling, it needs lots and lots of current.

Many PSUs are just crap, becoming weak fast - and one of the first symptoms: crashs when the CPU does something intensive.

Really, try a new one. Enermax are the best (if you don't belive me - tomshardware had a PSU test some weeks ago - a lot of the suckers were pure garbage. But Enermax once again ruled the crowed...).

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran memtest86+ for 15 hours or so. I think it is sufficient enough.

The motherboard capacitors near the CPU looks different from the other capacitors in my mobo. The top of those capacitors are rounded, as if being pushed from the inside, while the other capacitors are flat on the top.

I'm trying to find a full copper heat sink, but the shops here in my place don't have one that will fit a socket 462 anymore. A shop keeper even handed me a heatsink for a sempron. But I don't think my CPU will work fine even with better cooling, as I have been using it for years now. Maybe some of the components are broken already because from the start, my CPU temp is usually at 60 degree Celsius up to 70. It is hard to maintain a temp between 40-50 Celsius in our country, especially this summer season. My cooling improved when I changed the heatsink though. The CPU temp rarely goes beyond 62 since then. And yeah, I cleaned the top of the CPU with a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol to remove the remnants of the dried up grease. Then I placed a thin layer of thermal grease carefully applied it on the center of the CPU.

Only now I have given my CPU very intensive tasks such as compiling. Two years before I just used my box for gaming. It's a shame really.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrVahn wrote:

I'm trying to find a full copper heat sink, but the shops here in my place don't have one that will fit a socket 462 anymore. A shop keeper even handed me a heatsink for a sempron. But I don't think my CPU will work fine even with better cooling, as I have been using it for years now. Maybe some of the components are broken already because from the start, my CPU temp is usually at 60 degree Celsius up to 70. It is hard to maintain a temp between 40-50 Celsius in our country, especially this summer season.

Here, it can easily be as hot as 40-45 celsius in summer, yes, it is hard in that season to go below 40, but even at 50 or 55ºC it should work, and that temperature is realistic if the sink is good (good != expensive). I know it can be hard to find a full copper sink... You will need to search a bit. But a decent one should not go above 6-10$.

You can bet one thing: if you start at 60-70, you get past 80 when compiling, which is enough for an athlon(xp) to segfault, more than enough. So I would stop looking at the rest of components until you can sort that out.

Quote:
My cooling improved when I changed the heatsink though. The CPU temp rarely goes beyond 62 since then. And yeah, I cleaned the top of the CPU with a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol to remove the remnants of the dried up grease. Then I placed a thin layer of thermal grease carefully applied it on the center of the CPU.

Nice to hear that. But are those number while idle or at compile time?

Quote:
Only now I have given my CPU very intensive tasks such as compiling. Two years before I just used my box for gaming. It's a shame really.

I understand how frustrating this can get. I've seen the same problem too many times. It seems not to be the same for newer amd micros, like semprons and above, they all do ok with a regular sink (though I still use only copper ones, and my cpus' temp never ever goes beyond 45, and that is with heavy load). But athlon-xp's were really problematic in which regards heating.
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only see my CPU temp during boot time, or in the BIOS screen. I do not know how to view the CPU temp while the system is running. Shame on me. Therefore, 62 degrees is idle time. The temperature usually starts at 38 degrees (cold boot). 55-62 degrees is when I reboot my system. Now I know that cooling really is the problem. But afaik, I set my BIOS to automatically shut down when CPU temp reaches beyond 72 degrees. My system does not automatically shut down during compile time. Because of this, I assumed that it does not reach 72 degrees while compiling. But maybe I'm wrong.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The top of those capacitors are rounded, as if being pushed from the inside, while the other capacitors are flat on the top.

This sounds like failing capacitors.

If you have a old motherboard around and you know how to solder (or know someone who knows) you can try to replace them. Ideally the new ones should be the same rating. But if you can't find identical ones, the voltage rating can be higher (never lower!), and you can usually do OK with a capacitance rating 20% or so higher.

And if you replace them - make a note of the polarity when you take the old ones out, then put the new ones in the same way!

Otherwise it might mean a new motherboard, and while you're at it may as well get a faster cpu too.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never seen a chip becoming weak like you say. either it works or dies completely.
4 yrs does not mean cpu life is over. it has to be either the cpu clock or capacitors in power supply / mother board
if you are over clocking stop it and try run it in lower speeds.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
i have never seen

That is the key phrase.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if many of them have same trouble why not we take it up with intel??
old germanium devices only used to loss their beta /gain with time. CMOS are not expected to do that kind of failure.
it even can be the temp sensor pulling it down
no other processors fail that way there are comps 10yrs old p2 p3 still going fine
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
if many of them have same trouble why not we take it up with intel??
old germanium devices only used to loss their beta /gain with time. CMOS are not expected to do that kind of failure.
it even can be the temp sensor pulling it down
no other processors fail that way there are comps 10yrs old p2 p3 still going fine

Maybe because Intel also had bad things in the past. Remember buggy Pentium Classics and Pentium II. Entire releases had to be retired from the market due to bugs. Less famous issues, but, the PIII and PIV has also some stories around, and some people think that the PIV is the worse thing in the world.

In any case, no one is perfect. Amd had a bad time with Athlon and Athlon-xp processors, but k8's and anything above k7 in general, works perfect. And they are certainly cheaper, not just the cpu, but also the mother boards.
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have a Duron machine that still runs fine. And it is way older than my Athlon-XP. I can't use it though because I handed it over to my mother. She uses it to teach lessons in her pre-school students.

Replacing capacitors is a thing that I cannot handle. I only have minimal knowledge about circuits and electronics. I'll try to google it up though. Maybe there is a nice HowTo about replacing capacitors. The polarity thingy made me really look dumb. :lol:

I'm having really bad stability issues with my current system. Even Debian, a binary based distro, segfaults occasionally.

Me and my friends/family preferred to use AMD instead of intel mainly because it is cheaper. I was not that knowledgeable about computers back then, and was lazy to google things up. Years came by and we knew the bad side of an AMD processor, especially athlons. Well actually, the only bad thing that I knew about AMD is that it overheats more frequently than Intel. I as a gamer, haven't noticed this problem. I as a gentooer, was really really annoyed with it. Even the motherboard is weak IMO because of failing capacitors.

I do not know about intel though. I do not know about the issues Intel users experience. But I'm planning to get an Asus laptop. The one that uses a celeron 1.6 for a processor. I'm tired with AMD's overheating issues. My friend owns a laptop that has an athlon processor, and it sucks. It shuts down automatically when the temperature rises way up. I'll try to put gentoo in my laptop if ever I will have one. This time, I'll research more about celerons and laptops with gentoo so as not to experience my current problems.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing capactors is not for everybody
it is sandwitched board it needs special skills and equipments to repair bards of the kind
either you change the entire mother board or go for the laptop option.
i have seen toshiba laptops they r good of p3 1ghz mine is tecra9000 5yrs old
newer models are there in the market abt around 500 600 USD
changing the mother board may be much cheaper as p5 boards are available.
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I'm going to replace my mobo anyway, then why not try it? Messing up will lead to replacing my mobo, and I will eventually replace it to remedy my problem with this box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: