Constant rebooting and compile failures
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NottheAverageJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Constant rebooting and compile failures Reply with quote

First off, while this is my first post, this is not my first Gentoo install. But it is the first time installing on this hardware.

The 1.4 rc3 LiveCD worked fine. The network card works, as do the hard drives.

I started using Stage 1, but came up with errors during the compiles of glibc. Attributing it to low memory (as the CD does load a RAMdrive), I finally gave up. I rm -rf * the partition and started with Stage3. Kernel compiled with no problem. But when I rebooted, the PC would just reboot after stating BIOS check successful.

So I went back and checked the forums. Located that I needed to specify the processor (even though there is no --> indicating a submenu), which I did. Then found out that I missed the Code maturity prompt (which allows you to see a number of other options). So I went through the kernel config and carefully picked everything I needed and everything I don't. But, when I tried to compile, the kernel fails to do so (ksyms.o?).

At this point, I gave up and decided to grab the kernel from the CD, get up and running, and then try to do the compiles as I would have more memory. So I grabbed the 1.3 MB Gentoo kernel, and renamed it bzImage.

Now I find that the Gentoo kernel reboots exactly the same as the other kernels were doing (Gentoo with trailing periods......... BIOS check successful, then reboot). So my known good kernel is reacting the same. I'm at a loss. :(

My hardware is

Pentium MMX 233
64 MB RAM
Adaptec SCSI adapter (AHA 2940)
2 Seagate SCSI hard drives
1 Toshiba SCSI CD ROM
Intel-based Ethernet adapter

fstab should be fine. I have the following partitions listed (not a direct copy)

/dev/sda1 /boot (100MB)
/dev/sda2 swap (128MB)
/dev/sda3 /tmp
/dev/sdb1 /

The size of the hard drives were such that this configuration made sense.

Kernel options I picked were not unusual, as far as I know. Here are the highlights:

Processor type/features --> Pentium MMX (tried both the normal and (gcc>31) options along with Pentium Classic)
SCSI device support --> SCSI CD ROM
Adaptec AIC7xxx
Network Device support --> Ethernet 10/100 --> Etherexpress 10/100
Filesystems --> Virtual memory filesystem
ISO 9660 CDROM
Microsoft Joliet
/proc filesystem
/dev filesystem support
Automatically mount at reboot
Second Extended fs support
Network file system --> SMB filesystem support

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be great. I've been trying for 2 days to get this off the ground with its own kernel.

Thanks
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NottheAverageJoe wrote:
Now I find that the Gentoo kernel reboots exactly the same as the other kernels were doing (Gentoo with trailing periods......... BIOS check successful, then reboot). So my known good kernel is reacting the same. I'm at a loss. :(

It sounds like you are booting your original kernel rather than the new ones.
If you are using LILO, remember to rerun "/sbin/lilo" for your kernel changes to take effect.
NottheAverageJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img:c1d38ea836]http://boards.wizards.com/community/graemlins/dropjaw.gif[/img:c1d38ea836]

Didn't know that LILO needed to load the kernel each time. Thought renaming the kernel to the same as the old one would do it.

Just tried it, and it booted farther than it did last time.

Thanks a LOT
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: