Initng booting but a few niggles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Initng booting but a few niggles Reply with quote

Hi there I have just started to get confidence in trying to make the system boot faster with initng. I have successfully installed version 0.6.7 and iflies version 0.0.5. I havent tried to install the latest versions as the last time i tried , it wouldnt boot up.

I have got initng to boot up fine evenually with no errors but I have a found comments which I would like to get working:

1) I cant get ngc command to work as it always keeps saying "Error connecting to initng socket" and I cant find out why. Due to this I cant shutdown with any commands. I can only reboot using Ctrl+Alt+Del. Shutdown -h does not belong to initng and doesnt aactually shutdown the computer.

2) my sound isnt working and i have tried to add alsasound and (as suggested in the wiki) add system/alsasound/cards even though there are no errors there is still no sound, it works fine if booting using my old sysinit system.

3) when running hdparm, the system hangs for a little while and complains that there are no devices under the appropriate names , this also results in me getting

Code:
mark@heaven ~ $ ls /dev/hd
Display all 168 possibilities? (y or n)
hda    hda20  hdb13  hdb7   hdc18  hdd10  hdd4   hde15  hde9   hdf2   hdg12  hdg6   hdh17
hda1   hda3   hdb14  hdb8   hdc19  hdd11  hdd5   hde16  hdf    hdf20  hdg13  hdg7   hdh18
hda10  hda4   hdb15  hdb9   hdc2   hdd12  hdd6   hde17  hdf1   hdf3   hdg14  hdg8   hdh19
hda11  hda5   hdb16  hdc    hdc20  hdd13  hdd7   hde18  hdf10  hdf4   hdg15  hdg9   hdh2
hda12  hda6   hdb17  hdc1   hdc3   hdd14  hdd8   hde19  hdf11  hdf5   hdg16  hdh    hdh20
hda13  hda7   hdb18  hdc10  hdc4   hdd15  hdd9   hde2   hdf12  hdf6   hdg17  hdh1   hdh3
hda14  hda8   hdb19  hdc11  hdc5   hdd16  hde    hde20  hdf13  hdf7   hdg18  hdh10  hdh4
hda15  hda9   hdb2   hdc12  hdc6   hdd17  hde1   hde3   hdf14  hdf8   hdg19  hdh11  hdh5
hda16  hdb    hdb20  hdc13  hdc7   hdd18  hde10  hde4   hdf15  hdf9   hdg2   hdh12  hdh6
hda17  hdb1   hdb3   hdc14  hdc8   hdd19  hde11  hde5   hdf16  hdg    hdg20  hdh13  hdh7
hda18  hdb10  hdb4   hdc15  hdc9   hdd2   hde12  hde6   hdf17  hdg1   hdg3   hdh14  hdh8
hda19  hdb11  hdb5   hdc16  hdd    hdd20  hde13  hde7   hdf18  hdg10  hdg4   hdh15  hdh9
hda2   hdb12  hdb6   hdc17  hdd1   hdd3   hde14  hde8   hdf19  hdg11  hdg5   hdh16

when its usually only a couple of partitions displayed. This leads me to think there is something which isnt loading the devices up properly. DO i need to add something like udev to the init list?

4) If i wanted to preserve the changes i have made to the current initng version , what file do i need to backup? I ask this so that I may try to use the more recent versions but not worry about the configuration file getting overwritten and for me to have to configure the older version again if i find i cant get the newer one to work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwell, initng isn't exactly my field of expertise, but i guess i can hint you in the right direction anyway ;)

2.) did you try using something like alsamixer to figure out if it's maybe just muted? also, did you set up the alsa modules using /etc/modules.d/alsa (see alsa guide) instead of simply relying on gentoo's auto-detection?

3.) looks like there's no udev up. 'cat /proc/mounts' should list something mounted at /dev if udev is running.

4.) i guess you need to back up the /etc/initng directory. that should do as there's not many other places an init can store+retrieve configuration from ;)

hth

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I understand you're the developer of einit. I tried einit but it was somewhat cryptic to set up and I dont think I am experienced enough to try to sort it out especially with the amount of trouble shooting and rebooting required to get a working new init system.

I know initng isnt your field but would you know how I am able to get udev running? do i simply run it manually such as /etc/init.d/udev start or something?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
Thanks for the help. I understand you're the developer of einit. I tried einit but it was somewhat cryptic to set up and I dont think I am experienced enough to try to sort it out especially with the amount of trouble shooting and rebooting required to get a working new init system.

I know initng isnt your field but would you know how I am able to get udev running? do i simply run it manually such as /etc/init.d/udev start or something?
oops, totally forgot to check on this thread again :oops:.

it's okay, einit is cryptic right now. we're working on improving it, but i suppose right now you're sorta lost if you're not flewent in xml and the docs aren't up to date by any standard. :-/

haven't tried initng that closely myself, i think their interaction command is "ngc", so maybe something like "ngc udev start"? man ngc is kinda useless, but ngc -h should help.

Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting back. I like einit and hope it gets developed so that laymans like me can use it. Looks really impressive :)

Good luck :)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try baselayout2, it uses std gentoo conf files and in most cases just works (I think uberlord said there is issues with lvm's)
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
Thanks for posting back. I like einit and hope it gets developed so that laymans like me can use it. Looks really impressive :)

Good luck :)
doing my best here ;)

i might add an initng compatibility layer, just not sure if that's gonna be before the launchd layer or after...

Naib wrote:
try baselayout2, it uses std gentoo conf files and in most cases just works (I think uberlord said there is issues with lvm's)
aye that, uberlord did a very good job with that. it's definitely faster than baselayout-1 and it obviously blends nicer with gentoo :).
reminds me of that i should get a closer look at that baselayout2<>einit compatibility module... works nice for most of it, but there's still the occasional glitch ;)

Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so baselayout is like another form of init script? I will try to research. Is there a wiki or a help site which I can go to read more about how to install it? I cant seem to find a good HOWTO? I hope playing around with it wont damage my system? Is there a way to recover if I want to remove the package if it doesnt work?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
so baselayout is like another form of init script? I will try to research. Is there a wiki or a help site which I can go to read more about how to install it? I cant seem to find a good HOWTO? I hope playing around with it wont damage my system? Is there a way to recover if I want to remove the package if it doesnt work?
baselayout is pretty much safe. on gentoo, the "baselayout" package contains most of the init-scripts (at least the stuff in the background) and some other important files.
you already have this package installed, as most installs currently use baselayout-1.something by default (i think gentoo/*bsd is an exception to this, afaik they use baselayout-2 for a while longer already). baselayout-2 is the newest version... it's masked, but fairly stable to try. uberlord moved a lot of the core logics and some other things from bash to C, so things go nice and a lot faster ;)

Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's a simple case of unmasking and emerging ? nothing else to setup unless some of the scripts dont load?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your system boots fine with the std baselayout then just unmask baselayout-2 and enjoy the improvements.
no changing of grub.conf at all
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay , so I took the leap and install baselayout 2-alpha-r1 , whilst installing it said that a lot of my dependencies needed a nonexistent module "net" and it asked me to do an etc-update.

After doing an etc-update and rebooting I have three notes:

1) I dont seem to have a net connection, it doesnt bring up net.eth0. Checking on the forums tells me this may be a common problem and that people suggest "creating a symulink to lo". COuld someone please elaborate on how to do this exactly as I dont want to screw the system up even up. Everything else seems to have worked fine.

2) The system seems to take a little shorter 1/2secs to boot but a lot longer to shutdown as it seems to stall at shutting down acpid. IS this normal?

3) I usually set DOWNINTERFACE=no so that I can get my wake on lan NIC working, can i do this in baselayout2? it seems to have removed it from the rc.conf file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that stall sounds a bit weird... anyway, let's see if we can help you a bit :)

1) i think they mean something like...
Code:
cd /etc/init.d/
ln -s net.lo net.eth0

then to use rc-update to make sure it's actually run :). if net.eth0 already exists, you could try to rename it just in case (so you can back it back up if things go even worse).

2) i've not done much with acpid, but i suppose you could try to disable it and see if it works faster then.

3) no idea, sorry ^^8.
maybe it's in /etc/conf.d/net now... might be an interface attribute now?

you said you tried _alpha1; maybe it's fixed in _alpha3 already. can't hurt to try, right? :)

Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried you suggestion of the link....

The system now boots but complains saying "brd Hostname lookup failure"

any ideas?

I am using the same /etc/hostname file as the one when the system was working... is there a different syntax perhaps?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
I tried you suggestion of the link....

The system now boots but complains saying "brd Hostname lookup failure"

any ideas?

I am using the same /etc/hostname file as the one when the system was working... is there a different syntax perhaps?
uh, i think your machine's hostname is now configured in /etc/conf.d/hostname... at least i think that's what /etc/hostname used to be good for? =)

Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things started going pear shaped (and i dont know how much of it was to do with me preventing it from overwriitng some of my conf files with new ones after etc-update) but i had to uninstall the new baselayout and reinstall the old one after booting from a live cd.

I might try the alpha 3 when i get my courage back :)
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
Things started going pear shaped (and i dont know how much of it was to do with me preventing it from overwriitng some of my conf files with new ones after etc-update) but i had to uninstall the new baselayout and reinstall the old one after booting from a live cd.

I might try the alpha 3 when i get my courage back :)
heh, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you -- well it was woth a try, wasn't it? ;)

working on einit in the meantime... ;)

Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know the progress.... i'd be eager to try it out when laymans like me can work it :)

good luck in the meanwhile
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: