View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is with Rhythmbox (I use net-Rhythmbox. Figured I'd say it just to avoid confusion). I didn't really try to debug it. I was expecting it not to work with what I've read in this thread, so I loaded it just to be sure. It died, but I don't know why it died. I just rebuilt it and it worked fine. Also I don't use XOSD, so I can't say what the issues with that could be. If you're having problems, I'd say to go ahead and download the tarball and emerge it and see if that fixes it.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the sandbox issue in gnome-panel - was simpler than I thought.

-edit-

ebuild removed as it did fix the sandbox violations but didn't transfer the files correctly - thus leaving you without a panel.

Last edited by Lovechild on Thu May 29, 2003 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
I don't have any of them. It was supposed to have the new selection dialog, dropshaows and springloaded folders, right? I have none of it. :cry:

hmmm... just checked the tarballs again and the patches are in there... make sure you are using gtk+2.2.1-r2 and nautilus-2.3.2 and, if you want to make doubly sure do "ebuild /path/to/ebuild unpack" and it should spit out a list of the patches as they are applied.

pmarks wrote:

Okay, I have one further question. I haven't used the new net-rhythmbox tarball yet, because I've done some poking around. The first part of the problem with net-Rhythmbox was that XOSD was hanging upon startup. I removed the dependency upon XOSD and now it starts and plays a song. But there is something in GStreamer that isn't playin well with Gnome 2.3.x, since both gst-player and net-rhythmbox crash after playing a single song (or trying to seek within one...)

Any ideas as to what's causing GStreamer to puke/hang?

Have you tried running gst-register-0.6 first as root, then as your user?
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few problems with sound-juicer, had to disable sandbox (kept wanting to write to /var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.6/registry.xml) and the sed lines are there so the configure script finds your gstreamer plugins correctly....

Code:

# Copyright 1999-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/sound-juicer/sound-juicer-0.2.1.ebuild,v 1.1 2003/04/30 10:26:56 foser Exp $

inherit gnome2 eutils

DESCRIPTION="CD ripper for GNOME 2"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.burtonini.com/"
SRC_URI="http://www.burtonini.com/computing/${P}.tar.gz"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="x86"

IUSE=""

RDEPEND=">=dev-libs/glib-2
    >=gnome-base/libglade-2
    >=gnome-base/gconf-1.2
    >=gnome-base/libgnomeui-2
    >=media-libs/gstreamer-0.6.1
    >=media-libs/gst-plugins-0.6.1
    >=media-libs/musicbrainz-2.0.1"

DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
    >=dev-util/intltool-0.20
    dev-util/pkgconfig"

DOCS="AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL NEWS README TODO"

export SANDBOX_DISABLED=1

SCROLLKEEPER_UPDATE="0"
src_unpack(){
    unpack ${A}
    cd ${S}
    sed 's/gst-inspect/gst-inspect-0.6/' configure >configure.tmp
    cp configure.tmp configure
}
foser
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_Matt wrote:
Nah.... Official policy from the devs is no Gnome release unless it's "stable"... They just sit back and let us do all the bug testing.... ;)

This is not quite correct, the development ebuilds do go in the tree at a certain point close to the stable release. Right now the development version isn't in API freeze even, so highly experimental. We do plan on supporting the development snapshots outside the official tree, but haven't got around tidying them up enough yet to make it in our eyes release worthy.

As far as bugtesting goes, usually when you just wait for the next stable release the bugs are almost all eliminated. People claiming they're running these 2.3 builds to help bugtesting while all of them have debug info disabled i cannot take seriously, bugs filed with backtraces from crashes with these ebuilds are probably worth nothing.

And mr. Lovechild, i may be wrong, but with nothing in src_install in that gnome-panel ebuild there's not much to run. Besides that, check the portage tree before adding your carboncopy new release ebuilds, sound-juicer was already in the official tree at the time of your writing and you obviously didn't check totem, cause it's slightly wrong (oops, my fault.. shouldn't you have it corrected with your team effort to improve ebuilds ? ;)) . Totem will be in the tree soon as well, no worries.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good lord. Neither gtk+ or Nautilus compiled. I know like, 30 other things did. Strange. The two main components of Gnome didn't get upgraded. lmao, maybe thats why its running so stable. :lol: Compiling it now.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn foser! Can you say flamebait???? Yea, I know... I'll bite...

foser wrote:
Lin_Matt wrote:
Nah.... Official policy from the devs is no Gnome release unless it's "stable"... They just sit back and let us do all the bug testing.... ;)

This is not quite correct, the development ebuilds do go in the tree at a certain point close to the stable release. Right now the development version isn't in API freeze even, so highly experimental. We do plan on supporting the development snapshots outside the official tree, but haven't got around tidying them up enough yet to make it in our eyes release worthy.

Notice the quotes around stable. There's never been a posted policy from you on when a Gnome release is stable enough to be officially supported (beta,rc,etc..). Give me a policy and then I'll post that, until then I stand by my statement.

Quote:

As far as bugtesting goes, usually when you just wait for the next stable release the bugs are almost all eliminated. People claiming they're running these 2.3 builds to help bugtesting while all of them have debug info disabled i cannot take seriously, bugs filed with backtraces from crashes with these ebuilds are probably worth nothing.

Again, RTFT. When there's been an obvious bug, people have recompiled with debug info to get it fixed. If these ebuilds offend you so much, then release your own. Don't troll. I would expect much more from a developer.

Quote:

And mr. Lovechild, i may be wrong, but with nothing in src_install in that gnome-panel ebuild there's not much to run. Besides that, check the portage tree before adding your carboncopy new release ebuilds, sound-juicer was already in the official tree at the time of your writing and you obviously didn't check totem, cause it's slightly wrong (oops, my fault.. shouldn't you have it corrected with your team effort to improve ebuilds ? ;)) . Totem will be in the tree soon as well, no worries.

Man... it must really be nice to sit up in your ivory tower sniping at us poor souls muddling around in our obvious stupidity. Please forgive us lord foser!
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Whats with the frickin hostility here? Is there some unspoken rule agaist users making their own ebuilds? I was under the impression this was encouraged by "the managment" rather than "waiting around" for someone to do it for us. If the Gentoo devs want to wait around for a more stable release, cool. Threads like this keep us Gnome junkies passified until "offical" builds are released. I see no harm in this at all, and I certainly see no call for condecention and hostility. Hell, Lovechild was even mentioned on the GWN for cripes sake.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Foser and hostilities Reply with quote

The fact of the matter is that foser has never liked other people doing the things he's unwiling to do. And god forbid they should receive praise for the same. He takes a long time to get around to doing things, and while yes he works for free, their is no excuse in not accepting the help of others. This is a repeated offense, and he really could care less to credit even the smallest people who have helped him out along the way. Foser's work is positively top notch when he does it, and if foser wishes to apologize to the community for his actions and his attitude, then I will fully accept it and look forward to helping him out again. However, if this is not the case, then I cannot see desiring to help him out or really taking any of his advice. Gentoo is about community, not people who like to micro manage. There needs to be definite direction in the gentoo gnome community, like back when Spider was around. Since spider left, I haven't seen much direction, but we've managed to get through.

In closing, I want to thank foser for the work he's done, and I openly invite him to apologize to the very community that he has ignored time and time again. I'm not just talking from mine and lin_matt's experience now. I've had discussions with other gentoo gnome people who have the same problems with ebuild submissions and work submitted that I have encountered.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calm it ladies! 8O

Lets stay on topic and keep this thread open.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port.....this is a serious issue...it must be discussed somewhere....

Karl
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yea, this sort of political garbage was one of my reasons for leaving Gentoo a while back. I've recently come back, hoping things have improved. And its seemed generally better.
I think its rather immature for us all to be arguing. We are a community. There should be no fighting between us.

I think considering the ebuilds that get produced by breakmygentoo and its team is a good thing. Certainly they can be improved, but they're in no way attempting to be stable ebuilds. Most of them are for bleeding edge users who want to run, say, rhythmbox cvs, or evolution 1.3x or even Gnome 2.3.

They should be considered for inclusion or templates for including ebuilds in the official portage tree. A lot of work happens outside the official developer circle, and it makes sense to me to consider the work the non-official developers do. Its like throwing away a powerful asset to just ignore outside development. Look at Debian. Nearly every major Debian developer has their own personal repository of their upcoming packages. There's apt-get.org the unofficial listing of packages available. The Debian developers do not look at these packages sources as annoyances or distractions or invalid packaging. Many of them see it as a testing area, and gladly accept bug reports and problems about these packages. They're not official, and everyone knows it, but they're still considered valid packages, and often eventually get included into Debian proper.

So come on guys, lets acknowledge the work the everyone's done to make Gentoo what it is today. None of this internal politics. That should be left for the proprietary software organizations.

Its all this bickering that makes me want to leave Gentoo. Don't make me jump distros again. Gentoo's got a great thing going for it. Lets not ruin it because of power trips or whatever.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely said Link.....I hope that everyone can take his words to heart now :)

Karl
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. So, all trolling aside.. has anyone played with (net)Rhythmbox and Gnome 2.3.2 yet? It was working for me fine before I compiled GTK+-2.2.1-r2. I don't know what in GTK would make it die the way it does, but that seems to be the problematic package. gst-player works, so I know its not a gstreamer issue. I'm going to downgrade GTK again and see if it comes back to life.
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those rhythmbox-cvs and monkey-media-cvs ebuilds work fine for my system. there might be something upstream in the current cvs tree, but its been at least somewhat usable for me for the past few days. I've not upgraded to -r2 (didn't know there was one). so it works with -r1 ;)
Korean Ian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No portage eh?

Alrighty, well I guess I will head on over later and take a look at some of this stuff.

Thanks Guys
KI
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put link. I would really like to see some sort of official word from the Gentoo Developers as a whole on unofficial packages. I think the Debian model has a lot to offer, and it would be nice to get something like that working for us.

As for the bickering... I am sorry to have cluttered up this otherwise great thread with my off-topic spewage, but dammit... ;)

lurid
I've compiled and used net-rb with gtk+2.2.1-r2 a little and haven't had any problems out of it yet. Can you be a little more specific with your problem? If you can get a backtrace and the output of 'emerge --info' and post em on breakmygentoo's bugzilla it would help greatly...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually without the src_install() part the install fails - feel free to try it, it's not there because it looks good (which it doesn't). I wouldn't put stuff in there just to seem clever, since 2.3.0 we have been building gnome-panel outside the sandbox because nobody bother to fix it. It might be crude but it works.

Please don't mock the effort man, that's just lame. Lin-matt and I have put in good man hours to give the public ebuilds to test - afterall people are free to build a debug version if they encounter a serious bug, just like with the stable releases.

and on the serious side.

Lin-matt, you need to readd the gnome-splash.png and Gnome files in gnome-session's files/ or gdm will fail to locate the default gnome session if you have not installed a stable release before the 2.3.x releases. I dunno why I forgot to add those to the tarballs previously.

-edit-

actually the gnome-panel hack didn't work as expected - for some reason the files don't get transferred from the image dir now.. bummer. I'll get on it.

I don't get this - if I do the dodir thing for everything it complains about it still won't transfer those darn files, complaining about write permissions - ah well just disable the sandbox for now and I'll see what I can do about it. man I hate that sandbox

Last edited by Lovechild on Thu May 29, 2003 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
xkb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Gail problems? Reply with quote

So no-one else is having problems installing gail from this ebuild? I keep getting the error: "cannot stat ../../index.sgml" etc.

Does anyone know why this fails?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gail problems? Reply with quote

xkb wrote:
So no-one else is having problems installing gail from this ebuild? I keep getting the error: "cannot stat ../../index.sgml" etc.

Does anyone know why this fails?

that issue should be fixed in lin-matts tarball on breakmygentoo.net - there's a typo in on of the files which needs a bit of sed magic.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing, I found via tests that not filtering -fomit-frame-pointer in gnome-panel causes segfaulting when hitting the run menu - so we need to do that. Lin-matt please update the tar-ball.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foser wrote:

sorry folks, I know this reply comes a bit late, but I only read these comments two minutes ago.. serves me right for going out to dinner at the beach with girls on a warm wednesday night instead of staying glued to my terminal ;)

...but

...but I just can not believe a developer would act like such an asshole on a public forum. Dammit his behavior really pisses me off!

In my opinion: This ass needs to be BOOTED the hell out of the Gentoo development team. I dont care if he works for free, or if his work is top notch. I dont even give a damn if he shits gold nuggets.

NOBODY does such great work that it gives them the right to disrespect others simply because they are trying to develop.

He's entitled to think whatever the hell he wants, in fact he's even entitled to say whatever the hell he wants... but if he is going to spit unprevoked sarcastic and demeaning remarks at Gentoo users then this boy needs to go... I dont give a shit if he appologizes, he's a developer, nobody is going to tell me that he didnt know any better.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please take the flames to another thread guys - I hate being bashed as much as the next guy - but this thread is for ebuild development, and adding cruft to this doesn't help the entry level for first timers here - and I would really like it if these people read the entire thread before asking questions, so keep it clean.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY looks like I got the last flame in! :)

sorry, Ill behave, I promise.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could some moderator please split the flaming posts out and move them to gentoo chat or something ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: