Promise Raid install.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Promise Raid install. Reply with quote

Ok i've installed gentoo already on my raid harddisk's (stripping).

But when i try to boot it doesn't boot. I have a seperate /boot on a normal IDE drive. my menu.lst has this for botting the RAID gentoo:

Quote:
title=Gentoo Linux RAID
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage2 ro root=/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1

part1 is my linux partition, inside the RAID. it says it couldn't find: ataraid/disc0/part1

does anyone know how to fix this?

i compiled in the raid support in the kernel, and it seems like it loads it correctly without any problems.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you don't pass any kernel parameters ?
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux RAID
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage2
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird. Will that actually boot gentoo.

But i will try it out anyway.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says the same thing, except it shows "" and says to append root.

Does anyone know how to fix this.

my Raid is built into my Giga-Byte 7VRXP motherboard.

When i started my install i chose "gentoo doataraid" and it loaded the raid modules.

So every went ok and i compiled the promise raid in kernel and did what was told in howto.
-=Bugs=-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem that was reported here. I've installed Gentoo, without any problems, in a Tyan S2099, which has a Promise ATA Raid controller, has the referred Gygabyte MB.

All the installation went fine, compiled the kernel without a problem, using Grub as a boot loader. The problems started when I rebooted the server because it hanged saying that it couldn't find the /dev/ataraid/d0p1 (boot part.) and that it couldn't mount the VFS.

Well, at the time I started to search here in the Gentoo Forums and found out some tips, which I tried, so I got my grub.conf file looking like this:

Code:
root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/dop1 ide2=0x9400,0x9802 ide3=0x9c00,0xa002

->didn't work ...

after that, I tried

Code:
root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/bzImage root=7201

same thing ...

I then booted from cd, modprobe ataraid and pdcraid, mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot, mounted / on /mnt/gentoo and /boot on /mnt/gentoo/boot, chrooted /mnt/gentoo to /bin/bash and created on /boot/grub a file named device.map, which contained

Code:
 root (hd0,0)   /dev/ataraid/d0p1

came out of chroot and made grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map and then rebooted with

Code:
root (hd0,0)

and nothing ... same old error ...

Ongoing nuts, I decided to boot from the CD again, accessed /dev/ataraid/ and I created the nodes with mknod ... rebooted again and still nothing ...

<--- I'm very stuburn, so I kept on trying and I booted from the cd again and installed Lilo. My lilo.conf file looks like this:

Code:
boot=/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1
  map=/boot/map
  install=/boot/boot.b
  prompt
  timeout=50
  lba32
  default=linux

image=/boot/bzImage
  label=linux
  read-only
  root=/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3

can you believe that the same thing happened again? I thought that Grub was getting confused with the partitions on the /dev/ataraid device, but it seems that is not the problem here ...

I compiled the kernel the first time before the first reboot of the installation of Gentoo and included the device drivers for ataraid as modules (and yes, I followed every step and included everything that had to be there for being supported) and it didn't work ...

Later on, I compiled the kernel again, this time using the device drivers included in the kernel itself, not as modules, and still nothing ...

I've been compiling the kernel from the gentoo.sources ... should I give a try to the ac-sources?

I'm going nuts here ... can someone more experienced give a HUGE help???

Thanx.

"Have your friends closer, but have your enemies even closer ..."
Sun Tzu - "The Art of War"
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i noticed/realised while reading the post above, i did not mount my /boot when i installed gentoo, and grub.

I just edited the /boot's menu.lst that i had on my hda.

So all that about device mapping. So this might be a problem i'm not sure.

I have never done anything like this before so i don't know about this.

I thought i'd just cp the bzImage to the /boot and edit menu.lst to load the bzImage and root as being /dev/ataraid/disc0/part1.

But how would i mapp the device or something?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=Bugs=- wrote:
I then booted from cd, modprobe ataraid and pdcraid, mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot, mounted / on /mnt/gentoo and /boot on /mnt/gentoo/boot, chrooted /mnt/gentoo to /bin/bash and created on /boot/grub a file named device.map, which contained

Code:
root (hd0,0) /dev/ataraid/d0p1

came out of chroot and made grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map and then rebooted with

Code:
root (hd0,0)

Normally GRUB can guess how the drives are being mapped by the BIOS.
GRUB will guess incorrectly with ataraid because the individual drives are visible as well as the array.

To let GRUB generate a device.map file, do this :
Code:
# cd /boot/grub
# rm device.map
# grub --device-map=device.map
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

grub> quit

# cat device.map
(fd0)   /dev/floppy/0
(hd0)   /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
(hd1)   /dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/disc
(hd2)   /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc
#

As you can see, the mapping is wrong. So create a 1 line device.map file like this :
Code:
# nano -w device.map
(hd0)   /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc

Now, go ahead and install GRUB with the correct mapping :
Code:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

After rebooting, if you get a kernel panic saying you need to append root, it probably means your controller is not supported by the kernel (try ac-sources) or your root filesystem is not compiled-in (ext3, reiserfs, etc.)

Hope this helps.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Code:
# cd /boot/grub
# rm device.map

grub> quit

# cat device.map
(fd0)   /dev/floppy/0
#

As you can see, the mapping is wrong. So create a 1 line device.map file like this :
Code:
# nano -w device.map

Code:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

After rebooting, if you get a kernel panic saying you need to append root, it probably means your controller is not supported by the kernel (try ac-sources) or your root filesystem is not compiled-in (ext3, reiserfs, etc.)

Hope this helps.

If i have two HD's, hda, hda connected to IDE1 as master and slave. I have one CDRW drive in my IDE2 as master. My raid is IDE3 and IDE4, connedted as master.

Is it alright if i leave the hd2 as hd2, becuase i do want to be able to boot to my other OS's on the normal HD's (IDE1&2)?
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooktaKiNG wrote:
cyrillic wrote:
Code:
# cd /boot/grub
# rm device.map

grub> quit

# cat device.map
(fd0)   /dev/floppy/0
#

Code:
# nano -w device.map

Code:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Hope this helps.

If i have two HD's, hda, hda connected to IDE1 as master and slave. I have one CDRW drive in my IDE2 as master. My raid is IDE3 and IDE4, connedted as master.

Is it alright if i leave the hd2 as hd2, becuase i do want to be able to boot to my other OS's on the normal HD's (IDE1&2)?

Also what would grub.conf look like when you do this ^ ?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooktaKiNG wrote:

The purpose of using device.map is to see/correct the way GRUB is guessing your BIOS drives.
If you let GRUB generate device.map and you see it is correct, GRUB should work normally without any changes.

In my example above, I have 2 harddrives (/dev/hde, /dev/hdg) as RAID0 and I am booting from the array.
Since GRUB was seeing the individual drives as (hd0) and (hd1), the command "setup (hd0)" would have installed GRUB to /dev/hde instead of the array.
This would have resulted in not being able to boot, so I corrected device.map so that (hd0) would be the array.

MooktaKiNG wrote:

The drive the BIOS is set to boot from is always (hd0) and the other non-booting drives will be (hd1), (hd2), etc.
This is important to remember if you are changing the boot order in the BIOS to boot your other OS's

MooktaKiNG wrote:
Also what would grub.conf look like when you do this ^ ?

That depends on how you setup your BIOS and which drive you installed GRUB on.
bimble
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: what's gone wrong if grub doesn't see any ataraid? Reply with quote

Following the instructions above to find out how grub sees my harddrives, this is the result of cat device.map

(fd0) /dev/hfd0
(hd0) /dev/hde
(hd1) /dev/hdg

no sign at all of an ataraid partition. Now I know I can manually edit the device.map file to add it, but is this the right thing to do? Or am I just completely stuffed here?

Cheers
Alister
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've solved the problem by not installing grub into mbr during the installation.

And then making a 'FRESH' new grub boot floppy disk. and then rebooting and installing grub into mbr using the floppy disk.

This fixed the problam. Now everything works fine.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimble wrote:
Following the instructions above to find out how grub sees my harddrives, this is the result of cat device.map

(fd0) /dev/hfd0
(hd0) /dev/hde
(hd1) /dev/hdg

no sign at all of an ataraid partition. Now I know I can manually edit the device.map file to add it, but is this the right thing to do? Or am I just completely stuffed here?

Your kernel does not currently have ataraid support.
Once you fix that problem, delete your old device.map and tell GRUB to generate a new one.
GRUB will autodetect your ataraid array if the kernel detected it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: