Mythtv - schedules colliding with live tv? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Mythtv - schedules colliding with live tv? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I posted this on the MythTV Talk forums as well.

I've been working with my newly setup myth system. My backend has three pcHDTV HD-5500 cards, all being used only for OTA digital broadcasts. I'm using media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p12325.

I can record three programs at once with no problem...I scheduled stuff last night and everything recorded ok. I can also watch live tv when two shows are being recorded.

If however I'm watching live tv while a scheduled recording attempts to start, it ends up attempting to use the card that's being used to watch live tv. Here's the log from when I started watching live tv:

Code:
2007-05-05 11:42:25.375 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2007-05-05 11:42:25.375 adding: mythfront as a client (events: 0)
2007-05-05 11:42:25.377 TVRec(2): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2007-05-05 11:42:25.383 TVRec(2): HW Tuner: 2->2

...and the attempted recording:

Code:
2007-05-05 11:44:24.931 adding: mythback as a client (events: 0)
2007-05-05 11:44:24.970 Reschedule requested for id 26.
2007-05-05 11:44:25.142 Scheduled 2 items in 0.2 = 0.15 match + 0.02 place
2007-05-05 11:44:25.146 Canceled recording (Aborted): The Suite Life of Zack &
Cody "Boston Tea Party": channel 1071 on cardid 2, sourceid 1

In the above example, I scheduled a recording of a show in progress from mythweb. In some instances where I was watching live tv and a scheduled recording tried to start, I've had it abort the live tv with the frontend gui telling me an error occurred. Frankly, I'm still trying to get straight exactly what's occurring...the logs are confusing as hell. In any case, watching live tv while recordings start seems to be very problematic.

I have everything on one source ("Antenna") and all defaults for priorities etc.

Is there something I don't have set up correctly?

Thanks in advance. This ones a real problem for me.

Tom

Last edited by tld on Mon May 07, 2007 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
TinheadNed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an option to select a tuner for livetv that isn't about to be used for scheduled recordings. I think it's in mythtv-setup. It doesn't solve the problem, but may remove your symptoms.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that one. Actually, I did some really thorough testing this morning and have a much better idea of exactly what what was going on, and it had more to do with how I was testing things the other day than anything.

When I was testing the other day to see what occured when starting a recording while live tv was being watched I was scheduling recordings using mythweb on shows that were already in progress. When you do that, the backend has no advanced warning to ask the live tv user what to do. That is, the choice of the three options (switch to the recording and watch, exit to the menu, cancel recording...the backends ASK_RECORDING request). In that situation, the default behavior is to abort the recording...which probably makes as much sense as anything.

Today I tried all combinations of having one, two, or three cards busy with one watching live tv and it always gave me the three choices, and defaulted to changing the channel and watching the recording if I did nothing.

I would prefer it if the recording schedule was smart enough to just step around the live tv and use the next open card, but the option you mentioned may do nearly the same thing.

I have no idea what aborted the live tv on one or two instanced while I was testing...probably something unrelated.

Thanks again.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinheadNed wrote:
There is an option to select a tuner for livetv that isn't about to be used for scheduled recordings. I think it's in mythtv-setup. It doesn't solve the problem, but may remove your symptoms.

Yes!! That's prefect.

For the record, it's in the frontend setup:

Utilities / Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> General -> Avoid conflicts between live tv and scheduled shows

In my case that causes Live TV to use my third card, in which case I'll never even see those three choices unless I've scheduled three recrdings at that time. Perfect.

Thanks a million.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: