Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
raid0 root partition setup? (mdadm not making nodes)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: raid0 root partition setup? (mdadm not making nodes) Reply with quote

so i recently picked up some new drives and thought i'd try going amd64 and running the OS from a software raid0 partition. i stuck with a very simple partition scheme, 1G /boot - raid1, 1G swap, the rest dedicated to / (318G) raid0. i used the latest amd64 livecd and created the partitions (type 0xFD), chrooted and set things up. to be on the safe side, i made two kernels - one my config the other a genkernel with everything in it. in both i compiled in support for the chipsets, raid and raid1 & raid0. i added mdadm to the default level, setup mdadm.conf as per instructions - in my case a very simple two line entry for /dev/md1 & /dev/md3.

i installed grub, setup both mbrs, added support for the genkernel initramfs image to the genkernel entry, had root=/dev/ram0 & real_root=/dev/md3 (it's the third partition on both drives) while the other kernel simply had the kernel name and root=/dev/md3.

when i attempt to boot either kernel i'm told that /dev/md3 is not a valid mount point. as far as i can tell, mdadm is not creating the device nodes (they aren't there when i use the livecd and chroot the system anyway) however i see output from mdadm as it boots and see nothing alarming in it - however no remarks concerning the partitions it should set up. i've chrooted a couple times now and do the same mknod'ing as is suggested in the various docs i've read. inside the chroot it all seems to work fine, but when i try to boot - no dice.

any ideas?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barfo,

mdadm in the defualt runlevel cannot be used for booting since its on the root partition, which must be read to run mdadm. It follows that /dev/md3 must exist and the raid0 be up to allow it to mounted.

Boot normally and watch for a line that says something like
Code:
Autodetecting Raid....
Following that you should see your raid sets being formed.
then
Code:
Autodetecting Raid Done
If you don't see your raid sets being formed, either your partition types are not 0xfd, the raid personalities are not built into your kernel, or your raid superblocks are not persistant.

udev will ceate your /dev/md.. entries.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pointers neddy

i have not seen anything about autodetecting raid -but i'll have to look again next time i play with it. i do have udev in my kernel line entry in grub however. i'm certain however that the partitions are type 0xfd and that raid0&1 are compiled in - not modules. i see messages indicating that raid0,1,5... are there as genkernel pulls in all the types i do not need. however i _know_ raid0 & 1 are compiled in. and i've not seen any messages about inconsistent superblocks during any of the setup. when i reboot from the cd i can reassemble the array and all is perfectly happy.

do i have to do anything so that udev runs correctly? i'm using the latest stage3...

this is my first venture into raid - so forgive me if i'm overlooking something basic. i did find a post where a user mentioned that he'd had /dev/* tarred on shutdown so that the nodes would be there when he rebooted - but that sounds like a work-around.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barfo,

Old versions of udev did not make /dev/mdX entries but it should all just work now.
I set my system up a few years ago using raidtools.

Since kernel 2.6.13, when devfs was removed, the udev on the kernel line is no longer needed.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll pick over the kernel with a fine tooth comb again... it'll be a week before i try to repair it.

so if i understand you correctly, if i described things accurately, they should "just work" - is that correct? i can't believe i missed something in the kernel, but i'll double check.

thanks for the info
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barfo,

Partition types (0xfd)
Raid personalities, raid0 and raid1
Persistant superblocks on your raid sets
root filesystem support
High level Disk Driver support (SCSI and/or IDE disk)
Low level Disk Driver, (for your disk chipset)

Is all you need to get it to boot

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - thanks neddy!

it was really surprising to see that for some reason the kernel config lacked sata support compiled-in. i didn't check this as i assumed if anything genkernel wouuld put that in along with the kitchen sink and everything else it shoehorns into place.

it's now at least booting. i have a few other small fires to put out, but i'm very glad to see it's able to boot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: