n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: ops Reply with quote

*video-cards
dyn-westy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having a problem too. but its different that the ones above but on the newest version (2007.0) when the install is complete it ask me to restart and i do that but when i reboot it doesnt load grub or anything just flashing line. what kind of problem is that? and also is it maybe the jmacron doing this? and also is it the fact that when livecd starts it says fail to allocate mem resource? and als there is a bug bios somewhere?
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyn-westy

Either you have no active partition on your boot drive or grub was probably not correctly installed on your boot drive.
Please do not attempt to reinstall gentoo as that will not fix your problem.

To fix the no active partition problem you can boot from the livecd with the nox paramater and then run fdisk on your boot drive and make sure the boot partition is marked active. Reboot and see if it works.

To fix the grub problem:
You need to boot the live cd with the nox param and follow this guide to chroot into your gentoo install:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Chroot_from_a_livecd

and then follow the instructions here

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

to install grub.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done my first install of 2007.0 using the minimal CD, on an AMD64 architecture. I've never tried a GUI install, since I'm comfortable with a black-screen command-line environment, and I suspect it's a little faster. For that matter, this was my first ever AMD64 system. Everything went very smoothly until the base system was completely installed and self-booting (with lilo, which I've always preferred)

My problems began when I tried to install xorg-x11 and kde-meta.

1. The java environment was not completely set up. This was readily fixed by doing exactly what "java-check-environment" told me to do.

2. The DirectFB/libsdl circular dependency reared its ugly head. Fixed by "USE='-sdl' emerge DirectFB", then cleaning up with "emerge -DuavN world" after KDE was up and running.

In a perfect world these little things would be all smoothed out, but it's no big deal. The total install went *much* more smoothly than a 2006.1 install a couple of weeks earlier. The environment of 2006.1 was so out-of-date it was quite an elaborate exercise to update it so that newer packages would install.

To my mind the problem is that there is continual fast development in all aspects of Linux, and Gentoo keeps pace quite well. By the time any snapshot is taken and tested, it's already a little outdated. Six months later it is seriously mismatched to the current system. Perhaps after the "emerge --sync" following chrooting we should "emerge portage && emerge -Du world" before proceeding?
rafaelkafka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickj wrote:

2. The DirectFB/libsdl circular dependency reared its ugly head. Fixed by "USE='-sdl' emerge DirectFB", then cleaning up with "emerge -DuavN world" after KDE was up and running.

Many thanks, this is the Gentoo Spirit, explore the system to the extreme and share.

Rafael Kafka
burlingk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
Why is this topics a sticky??? Reading all these comments I decided to download the livecd myself to check it out. I am typing this from the livecd. All is working like it should, hardware gets properly detected, a link to the documentation on the desktop which is working, internet is up. The only problem I encountered thus far is poor performance in X due to using the vesa driver for my nvidia card.

I haven't tested the installer and I will not test it 'cause I have no intention of using it.

Are you using the LiveCD or the LiveDVD??? The issue was with the DVD (3.5GB download not 700MB). When you say LiveCD you may mean DVD but it makes it sound like you don't know what you are talking about because the issue from the start was the DVD.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burlingk wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:
Why is this topics a sticky??? Reading all these comments I decided to download the livecd myself to check it out. I am typing this from the livecd. All is working like it should, hardware gets properly detected, a link to the documentation on the desktop which is working, internet is up. The only problem I encountered thus far is poor performance in X due to using the vesa driver for my nvidia card.

I haven't tested the installer and I will not test it 'cause I have no intention of using it.

Are you using the LiveCD or the LiveDVD??? The issue was with the DVD (3.5GB download not 700MB). When you say LiveCD you may mean DVD but it makes it sound like you don't know what you are talking about because the issue from the start was the DVD.
I suggest that you read the post which started this topic, there is no mention of a DVD in that post. A later post indicates that some users have had similar problems with both the live CD and the live DVD.
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. My problems were with the LiveCD as well.
CPUFreak91
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: LiveCD doesn't even create a filesystem for itself Reply with quote

Yeah. The AMD64 2007.0 LiveCD fails to create a filesystem for itself, and then ends up killing init, causing a kernel panic.
I'm going to see if I can do a fresh encrypted hard drive install with the Minimal... if not, it's back to 2006.1 I go.
Matthijs70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope somebody did read this reply from Andrew on bug report 177726, because it looks like there is some understanding of the ATI problems:
Quote:

It looks like what happened here is that sometime between 2006.1 and 2007.0 the
xorg-server ebuild changed to using video_cards_{mach64,r128,radeon} instead of
video_cards_ati, and the default VIDEO_CARDS in the profile was never updated
to match. Because of this, none of the ATI drivers got built on the x86/amd64
LiveCD/LiveDVD.
linuxcable23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little Buggy i guess but oh well after i fixed the ATI issue i had a nice smooth install i really like the speed of a base install that was kinda nice and also the kernel config part its better when you can make your own kernel at base install over all some bugs but still a great Product i could not ask for anything more. and look on the bright side its not M$$ product that really sucks its just a little buggy its linux live with it
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new AMD X2 and shifted my old P4 as the new mythbox. Both installs went perfectly fine except for one issue, on the newer system I had to boot with "gentoo-nofb" to make the GUI fire up, otherwise it would freeze when loading every time (nvidia 6600GT and 7950GT respectively). Also I did the oldschool text-based install, you know, cfdisk, make menuconfig, caveman shit lol
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I'd have used
Code:
"USE='-sdl' emerge DirectFB"

If I'd been halfway awake, then I wouldn't have had to purge DirectFB from my world file after the event.

Does anyone else miss the old stage1 install? A bit slow, but never puts anything outdated on your system.
burlingk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
burlingk wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

I suggest that you read the post which started this topic, there is no mention of a DVD in that post. A later post indicates that some users have had similar problems with both the live CD and the live DVD.

I stand corrected. ^^;
Vlad.Sharp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickj wrote:
Of course, I'd have used
Code:
"USE='-sdl' emerge DirectFB"

If I'd been halfway awake, then I wouldn't have had to purge DirectFB from my world file after the event.

Does anyone else miss the old stage1 install? A bit slow, but never puts anything outdated on your system.

Ahhh the SDL error. I wonder why it still hasn't been fixed - I first saw it about half a year ago when doing a clean install.

Do I miss stage1? What, are there other stages? :roll: Although stage1 can have its problems (circular deps like SDL/DirectFB or Swig/Pike) it's the **only** way to install gcc 4.1/glibc 2.5 on hardened using a hardened snapshot. Just remember, there's the good old /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh to use whenever you feel like starting from scratch :P
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesss, I found the stage1 is still there on the mirrors - I should stop taking notice of this "not supported" rubbish in the manual and just go ahead and use it. Thanks, Vlad.Sharp
BawheeD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here too.

On the whole the release is okay, the system it built is sound apart from the usual system specific tweeking that you always need after a fresh install.

I think the new installer looks more professional than the last one but I was shocked at its lack of prompting with regard to modifying my partition table. I've lost my copy of Vista and all the data (southpark) on that partition all because I expected to queue up changes and apply them at the end like the last installer.

The paritioning issue with the installer was the only thing that really bothered me - I feel that this should have been mentioned on the press release in plain sight as its going to catch out a few people. I think a public beta period would have been a good idea.

I always get excited when I see a new gentoo release! So keep up the good work =)
rhomp2002
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: I know what you mean about that partitioner Reply with quote

I thought it would only apply the changes and leave the rest of it alone. Result was I lost 4 other distros plus my Windows XP and the XP backup required a Windows OS to work so I essentially lost Windows completely.

If I wanted to delete the other partitions I would have gone for a complete install for the whole disk. Since I didn't do that then why did the partitioner clear off everything else. It really looked funny to see the Gentoo in sda2 with the swap in sda9 and the boot in the Grub MBR record. I did not appreciate this at all. It really makes me very leery about re-installing Gentoo again at all. :evil: :evil:
walter2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fighting with linux since two years and I still think if you say "this software print Hello World" it must do that. In Linux, because of circumstances, it do not happen the 60% of times. It's reliability and interesting features finish in its Unix like architecture. You can do what you want but be honest, say that it is alfa software. Especially when takes a week installing it!
Gentoo offers 'choices', but it is a concept error, to have choices you need to have a start point, a base, a "SURE" default way of installing the distro. If don´t, it don't care if you know about other linux, unix distros, since the 'free software spirit of community' is the biggest lay. You may know a lot of linux but nothing about how emerge works. And if they, the developers who mounted it, are not able to get it working, how can a user do that?
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickj wrote:
Yesss, I found the stage1 is still there on the mirrors - I should stop taking notice of this "not supported" rubbish in the manual and just go ahead and use it. Thanks, Vlad.Sharp

Yee-hah! I think I'm going to be doing a stage-1 this weekend. 8) Takes longer, but always works. And *never* deletes entire partitions without my express say-so. :evil:
terracotta_shore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter2 wrote:
I am fighting with linux since two years...

Perhaps that's your problem - fighting it. Perhaps Linux is fighting back. :) I would. :wink:

I've been using Linux for nearly two years now and it works great for me, and I'm neither a developer nor a programmer - just a reasonably intelligent person.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter2 wrote:
I am fighting with linux since two years and I still think if you say "this software print Hello World" it must do that. In Linux, because of circumstances, it do not happen the 60% of times.

You are taking this totally out of the topic.

This is not a philosophic thread about how linux sucks or not. It is about how the livecd/dvd or Gentoo 2007.0 is a buggy release.

There are buggy things in any OS out there, so, try not to be so dramatic. That number you supplied is your -totally subjective- opinion, and reflects nothing that belongs to the reality. The fact is that thousands of users are using this OS everyday and it works 100% of the times if you know how to use it. If you don't, go and read the manuals. If you want click and point, there are many better offers suited for you available in the market.

Quote:

It's reliability and interesting features finish in its Unix like architecture. You can do what you want but be honest, say that it is alfa software. Especially when takes a week installing it!

Now your are totally out of context. Are you talking about linux or gentoo? You can install linux in 5 minutes if you want. Gentoo takes longer, that is the price you pay to compile your own OS. If you can't understand that or you simply can't find a reason to spend so much time compiling your own OS, you should not be here, in first place. But in the SuSE, Fedora, Mandriva or whatever any other distro forums.

To say that Linux is alpha software when it is an OS which is older than 15 years and have such a solid base and works without errors when you know how to use it, is, at least, a big error. If not plain silly.

If you mean that this LiceCD is in alpha state, I agree with you, but the way you wrote your post, it seemed like you are talking about linux as a whole, and in that case, it is just a lie.

To do so without arguments (other that you being unable to use it or being informed about what linux is), is even sillier. Again: Linux is not Gentoo. If you feel that Gentoo doesn't suit you (I often think about it myself) then just go elsewhere. I am sure that there are distros that you will find a lot better for you.

Quote:
Gentoo offers 'choices', but it is a concept error, to have choices you need to have a start point, a base, a "SURE" default way of installing the distro.

And there is, and there has been one since Gentoo exist. Install using manual install from stage3. It is not that time consuming, and it works rock solid.
Linux is not just Gentoo, and Gentoo is not just the LiveCD (which indeed sucks).

By the way, I can't understand how can you have a so solid opinion when this is your first post in these forums.

You are right in one thing: this livecds should be totally erased from the world, and from the handbook. If anyone wants to install gentoo s/he should use the traditional stage3 method, which workds.

Now the devs and everyone, can see how bad these livecds are doing for gentoo. Walter2 is just one example of what does a newcomer think when s/he tries this cd's and the installation fails. I see many examples via IM or real talk everyday. And each unsatisfied newbie (or even ungry one, in case the livecd fried his partitions), is a grain of sand that Gentoo gets into its head. Continuing this way, it will someday be buried.

This is not a trivial issue, its been around since 2006.0. So, while I can't share walter2's opinions, I totally understand them, and they have a base, and are telling us that something bad is happening.

Will we hear? :roll:
rhomp2002
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: I think you are maybe misreading Walter Reply with quote

I think when Walter says Linux he is actually saying Gentoo.

I also had the problems with partitioning not doing what it said when I tried to install Gentoo. I had the problem with 2006.0, 2006.1 and 2007.0 My solution, since I did not care to take all that time to get a system working, was to install Sabayon which is based on Gentoo and has almost all the resources that Gentoo has. Their install just worked and then I have the luxury of time to get the whole panoply of Gentoo advantages at my disposal over time while enjoying the advantages that Gentoo offers in a minimal install. As I mentioned above every one but Gentoo seems able to get a quick install for newbies to use and then makes the rest of the experience available. Many of us want the speed that Gentoo offers and the edginess of Gentoo but still want to be able to use the system without dedicating our lives to it. Sabayon offers that with their live-cd while Gentoo blows a raspberry at us. Which do you think we will use under the circumstances? :evil: :evil:
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I think you are maybe misreading Walter Reply with quote

rhomp2002 wrote:
Which do you think we will use under the circumstances? :evil: :evil:

I have no doubt about that. And it is my whole point. If gentoo CAN provide that, then do it, but do it ok, not with 3 buggy (and dangerous, I might add) releases.

If not, just live without it. I am not for elitism. But I preffer to have an slightly less friendly gentoo for newbyes rather than a buggy one that will trash your hard disk contents entirely.

I also add one thing: stage3 is not really more complex than a graphical install. You just need to read, and almost everyone can read nowadays. Of course, you are totally right about the installation time... But again, there are binary distros that do that just ok.

To sum up: yes, it would be cool to have an easy to use installer. But I think that it is clear that it is not that easy as to wish it. So, until it abandons its alpha state, I would mark is as alpha, put it into test servers and erase any trace of that livecd from the handbooks. If newbies can't find a graphical livedvd they will install by hand and learn something in the way.

And if they don't want to do so, at least their data will not be trashed and they can choose any other distro.
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
each unsatisfied newbie (or even angry one, in case the livecd fried his partitions), is a grain of sand that Gentoo gets into its head. Continuing this way, it will someday be buried.

Or, depending what you do with them, those grains of sand may be pearls (perl?) some day. :lol:
I think having a good LiveCD is a great thing. Anything less than good, however, is horrible. We're far better having newbies run stage 3 installs, and scaring off those who are afraid of the command line, than giving them crap that doesn't work and makes the distro look bad. It's just downright embarrassing to think that anybody I ever told "Gentoo is the best distro, by far, ever" may have picked up one of these LiveCDs and given it a try. They would never listen to my opinion again. :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: