Proper way to upgrade to AMD 64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Proper way to upgrade to AMD 64? Reply with quote

My workstation is an Athlon XP 1800+ system. I recently got an AMD X2 4600+, and once I get a motherboard I would like to use the same hard drive in my upgraded 64 bit system. Is it possible to just compile a 64 bit kernel, replace the hardware (except the drive) and reboot into the new kernel (and upgrade the remaining binaries afterwards)? Can the AMD processors run on a system with a mix of 32 and 64 bit binaries? I know I can just download the Gentoo install CD, but I was wondering if I could save a little time and not have to install everything over again. (Incidentally, I tried the Gentoo 64 bit live CD on a friend's new Dell Dimension dektop with an X2 3800+ and it wouldn't boot.)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Proper way to upgrade to AMD 64? Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
My workstation is an Athlon XP 1800+ system. I recently got an AMD X2 4600+, and once I get a motherboard I would like to use the same hard drive in my upgraded 64 bit system. Is it possible to just compile a 64 bit kernel, replace the hardware (except the drive) and reboot into the new kernel (and upgrade the remaining binaries afterwards)? Can the AMD processors run on a system with a mix of 32 and 64 bit binaries? I know I can just download the Gentoo install CD, but I was wondering if I could save a little time and not have to install everything over again. (Incidentally, I tried the Gentoo 64 bit live CD on a friend's new Dell Dimension dektop with an X2 3800+ and it wouldn't boot.)

x86 and amd64 are different architectures. So, you will need to reinstall using a correct stage3 and livecd for amd64 arch. You have also the option to continue using your current install, since that cpu is also capable of running as an x86 cpu.

A system can have both 64 bits and 32 bits binaries installed, but not in the way you think. Using a multilib toolchain (the amd64 profile takes care of that, so, don't worry) you can use 32 bits binaries in a 64 bits installation as long as you have the emul libs installed (portage also takes care of that). But first, you need a 64 bits install.
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Proper way to upgrade to AMD 64? Reply with quote

Thanks!
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way is to make a new installation. Extract a stage3 tarball on a fresh formated filesystem and copy /etc and /var/lib/portage/world from your old config. Then edit /etc/make.conf to reflect the new arch. And then just do a "emerge -e world" and go for a long walk :wink:

You have to be careful when doing etc-update, but that's all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: