View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Superkaramba: Can't configure themes? Reply with quote

Well, I have installed SuperKaramba, and yes, it's very cool, and some of the desklets (!=widgets != gadgests :lol:) are quite useful. The thing is, I can't configure any of them! When I right-click, the "configure theme" option is always grayed out. I simply don't get what could be wrong. Anyone can help me here? I am sure it is embarrasangly easy, but I just can't figure it out :oops:
Lasneyx Iliah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all superkaramba 'widgets' can be configured, only if their authors have implemented that feature you'll be able of configuring that superkaramba 'themes'. A 'hacky' way for configuring a theme is editing the .theme file or the .rc or .cfg files which could be located at ~/.superkaramba directory.

If you have downloaded a compressed theme with .skz extension, note that this is only a zip file, so you can unzip it with unzip itself.

Cheers.
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, I have tried like 10 desklets and none of them is configurable. Seems rare to me, specially since I am fairly sure that, particularly, the "dualcore" one should be configurable, since I have seen that there's much more stuff in the code than what is actually shown in screen, there must be a way to select. Meanwhile, I will see if I can modify the files to configure it more to my liking.
Lasneyx Iliah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only installed 3 themes right now:
- MagicClock => Configurable
- BuildAMon => Can't be configured
- Liquid Weather => Configurable.

I've tried another system monitors themes, and neither was configurable. Try one of the themes that I've written above and give it a try. If you can't configure magicClock or Liquid Weather then could be a problem with your superkaramba installation. On the other hand, which is more likely, is due to the widget itself.

Cheers.
Mark [SOLVED]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's some time ago that I wrote my superkaramba widget, but at that point it turned out to be rather difficult to make your theme configurable. Superkaramba uses pixel-based layout for its widgets, so making it really hard to change the gui layout from within the code. I can somehow understand, that most authors of themes refuse to include means of configuration into their themes. You shouldn't expect many widgets to be configurable, especially if these widgets are more complex...

Besides, modifying existing widgets is not really difficult...
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turns out you are right, Lasneyx. Liquid weather does have a nice configuration menu, so I guess it's all about the themes. Well, I think hacking the existing themes is my best bet, and won't be all that hard if I find them ;). Many thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: