Is pure 64bit advisable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Is pure 64bit advisable? Reply with quote

I went throught the online package database and all the programs I use in gentoo are also listed as working under amd64. So does that mean I can go ahead and use the no-multilib profile? I am a little confused because some pre-compiled games such as descent3 are also listed as working under amd64. Makes no sense to me.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is pure 64bit advisable? Reply with quote

Xamindar wrote:
I went throught the online package database and all the programs I use in gentoo are also listed as working under amd64. So does that mean I can go ahead and use the no-multilib profile? I am a little confused because some pre-compiled games such as descent3 are also listed as working under amd64. Makes no sense to me.

"working on amd64" != "compiled for amd64"

Don't forget that amd64 can also run x86 code natively as far as all the needed libraries are present on a 32 bits version, INCLUDING the glibc ones. And to get the 32 bits glibc on amd64 you need multilib.
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a pure 64 bit no 32libs present in my system, only check boot-loader go for lilo.
grub will not work without multilib.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask then the answer is 100% use multilibs. You will be happier with your system if you do.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudrii wrote:
I run a pure 64 bit no 32libs present in my system, only check boot-loader go for lilo.
grub will not work without multilib.

The user land tools will not work, or even compile. But the MBR grub will continue working, so that is not really a problem. You can use a livecd to install grub, and live happy with only 64 bits. The question is, why would anyone want to remove multilib unless it is for an embedded system where the space is really an issue? And, in that case, why the heck would you run a source based distro? 8)
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run 64 pure OS on server and i do not need a multi lib at all for web db ftp servers ;)
As for desktop is defenetly a multilib way
Alejandrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with amd64 a couple of months ago but after i start learning programming and other things, i switch back to x86 due to dosemu virtualbox and a couple of things more. Now can i use amd64 and multi to run every package only available for 32 bits? when i say every i mean all :D
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alejandrito wrote:
I start with amd64 a couple of months ago but after i start learning programming and other things, i switch back to x86 due to dosemu virtualbox and a couple of things more. Now can i use amd64 and multi to run every package only available for 32 bits? when i say every i mean all :D

That depends on what do you mean. You can run any 32 bits binary as long as all the relevant libs are in place on a 32 bits version. All the 32 bit BINARY packages in portage are runnable in amd64.

But don't confuse the things: only a few packages are available as binary packages. The rest of them should just compile and run in 64 bits mode.
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, I am pretty sure multilib is for me at this time then.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: