[solved]mythmusic: doesn't play from automounted extHD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schitthoch3
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: [solved]mythmusic: doesn't play from automounted extHD Reply with quote

HI all

My music collection is plugged to my combined backend/frontend box on an external usb-HD, which has a seperate power switch.

Normally i use this box for recording/watching TV, so i leave the extHD turned off. in my fstab i have therefore the argument "noauto" for /dev/sda1 (which is my extHD music partition).

A year before i had configured ivman under KDE to automount the ext-HD when i power it on to listen music via mythmusic.

ivman reads the fstab entry and then mounts the extHD accordingly as soon as it is powered on. Later i switched to IceWM and it still worked like a charm. but when i tried to listen some music 5 weeks ago, mythmusic did not play the files (no error message).
it just does not play a file and playtime does not show up too, while cover,ID3 aso are showed correctly. mythbackend.log neither has an error messages. syslog on the other hand does log every second the following message (only when mythmusic tries to play):
Code:

May 12 15:51:13 pundit cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

I can't say exactly when the error happened the first time. I have to additionally make clear that Amarok does play all music from the extHD just fine. Possible reasons i can imagine are:

1. Kernel upgrade from 2.6.18 to 2.6.20-gentoo-r8
2. missing scsi modules, which are needed by mythmusic for an extHD ?
3. automount procedure --> permissions needed by mythmusic (ivman)
4. update of all mythtv packages (now using mythmusic-0.20.1_p13375)

FSTAB entry (read by ivman and mounted accordingly when HD is powered on):
Code:
/dev/sda1 /media/daten/musik vfat noauto,sync,users,gid=1000,umask=000,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

my user under which the frontend starts has uid=1000
any hints?

Last edited by schitthoch3 on Mon May 21, 2007 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried re-scanning your music folder once the drive is mounted? Lots of the meta-data is held in the mysql database, which might be why you're still seeing part of your data.
schitthoch3
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i re-scanned it before posting, and now just another time. but it still doesn't play.
interesting: mythmusic on a FE-only-client, which mounts the to the server connected extHD via autofs DOES play.
Big :?:
schitthoch3
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here we go.
Code:
May 12 15:51:13 pundit cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

this error message was a result of kernel 2.6.20 in combination with the currently stable ivman. it vanished when i unmasked ivman. i am now using sys-apps/ivman-0.6.13 and have no errors anymore. furthermore this lead me to the conclusion that --> I <-- must have messed up mythmusic somehow.

so then ...

i finally had the not so strange :D idea to start mythfrontend in console. and it did show the following message when played a music file:
Code:
... Error opening audio device (Standard) ...

so ... since probably myth-version 0.19 this is a commonly known error message. i went into configuration/configuration/media/music/general and set the audio device to use from "Standard" to "/dev/dsp". if you have sound while watching tv you can find the correct device in configuration/configuration/general_settings

guess what? :arrow: soundz, there are.

why do i have always have to try everything else before becoming reasonable ? :roll:

thread marked as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: