mytharchive problem with ffmpeg > 0.4.9_p20060530 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: mytharchive problem with ffmpeg > 0.4.9_p20060530 [SOLVED Reply with quote

After a lot of head scratching, I've had to mask ffmpeg later than 0.4.9_p20060530. What I noticed with later versions (like 0.4.9_p20061016, for example) was that ffmpeg was creating tiny and super-compressed video streams. So, mytharchive was dying on the growisofs stage because the created DVD was only going to be like 800M instead of ~4G.

When I revert to the older ffmpeg, mytharchive works just fine. I have a feeling it's related to the "-b" options in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/encoder_profiles/ffmpeg_dvd_ntsc.xml? Maybe the significance of these numbers has changed in the new version?

Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited by volumen1 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerd.badur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: mytharchive problem with ffmpeg > 0.4.9_p20060530 Reply with quote

Seems to be an ffmpeg bug in v0.4.9 (which should already be fixed).
See: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2004-December/040721.html
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... that doesn't make sense. Your posting is from 2004? I can verify that if this is a bug, it definitely exists in version 0.4.9_p20061016. That's the version from oct 16 2006. 0.4.9_p20060530 works just fine.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: mytharchive problem with ffmpeg > 0.4.9_p20060530 Reply with quote

volumen1 wrote:
When I revert to the older ffmpeg, mytharchive works just fine. I have a feeling it's related to the "-b" options in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/encoder_profiles/ffmpeg_dvd_ntsc.xml? Maybe the significance of these numbers has changed in the new version?

Has anyone else seen this?

If you're referring to bytes becoming bits and getting a very, very low bitrate recording, then yeah, that was found. Although for the life of me, I can't find a link in the archives anywhere... IIRC, bytes is now a -B, instead of -b, which now means bits.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh... Easier to search trac: Ticket 2451.

Mytharchive was corrected in revision 11396, but it looks like the patch was never backported to fixes, which seems to be where the official e-builds come from. From the patch, it looks like you can just add a 'k' to the bitrate specified in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/encoder_profiles/ffmpeg_dvd_ntsc.xml.

EDIT: New bug.
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! That explains it. Thanks, I should have checked the man page for that -b option.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes-X wrote:
Duh... Easier to search trac: Ticket 2451.

Mytharchive was corrected in revision 11396, but it looks like the patch was never backported to fixes, which seems to be where the official e-builds come from. From the patch, it looks like you can just add a 'k' to the bitrate specified in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/encoder_profiles/ffmpeg_dvd_ntsc.xml.

EDIT: New bug.

According to looking at your bug report, this is now RESOLVED. Have you checked it, and is it such that you can mark this thread as [RESOLVED]?

I've burned on DVD a few months back with mytharchive, have had some burner problems, and am getting set to burn again on a frontendonly. I'm having some troubles, and am going to start a different thread. But I found this one, and want to make sure that this is all cleared up. I'm fully up-to-date on amd64.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- It got marked as resolved before I could verify whether it was fixed or not. Turns out that it was applied to fixes, just as part of a different patchset and I missed it. I've since seen reports that people were having the same problem, but I haven't confirmed whether it's actually been fixed or not.

I'm due for a major update session pretty soon, so I may just go back to using the portage version of myth and test it completely.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just have to say that I'm finally burning DVDs with mytharchive. As far as I know, all myth-related components are amd64, none ~amd64. So at first blush it would appear that your problem is resolved.

At this point, I'm having 2 problems:

First, I'm getting partial shows some of the time. It seems to be fairly consistent for a given show. The Doctor Who episode, "The Rise of the Cybermen" stopped after 10 minutes the first time, and after 13 minutes when I burned it alone. On the first burn it was the first of 2 episodes, and the second was OK. I deleted and re-recorded it, and was able to burn both "The Rise of the Cybermen" and "Age of Steel" (a 2-parter) on a DVD successfully. I've had other attempts crap out 35 or 40 minutes in, etc. This seems to be during transcoding or somewhere, but not during the burn itself.

Second, and actually more important... I'm recording exercise shows for my wife. The motion is jerky and the lips don't match the sound. She says it isn't this way when viewing directly on myth, so it must be in the dvd creation.

Are these problems a matter of ffmpeg flags, or might I be better off with nuvexport, and then use something like tovid, instead of mytharchive?

I'll probably refile these as separate thread heads eventually, to minimize thread drift and track them better.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: