Installation won't let me use my eepro100
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Installation won't let me use my eepro100 Reply with quote

I'm brand new to Gentoo (though not linux). I grabbed the 1.4_rc4 (basic) iso and am trying to install it. The system I'm trying to install on is an old Pentium Pro. It's a 200MHz chip, on a PR440FX motherboard. It has onbaord CS4236 audio and a builtin eepro100 interface. It also has a built in aic7xxx interface, and this particular system has 2 two gig hard drives. The line I used to boot initially was: gentoo doscsi.

During boot up, I get the message:
No Network device auto detected....

No problem, I figure. I know that it's an eepro100, I'll just insmod it. However, when I attempt to insmod it, I get (the following is typed in so please forgive type-o's):

cdimageroot # insmod eepro100
Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs-r2/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs-r2/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: unresolved symbol mii_check_link_R721d7484
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs-r2/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: unresolved symbol mii_nway_restart_Rd1dc4e88
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs-r2/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: unresolved symbol mii_ethtool_gset_R75e1f3c0
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs-r2/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: unresolved symbol mii_ethtool_sset_Rf5d1b8b8
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs-r2/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: unresolved symbol mii_link_ok_Rd93cb623

I noticed the point in the options help that doscsi "breaks some ethernet cards", so I tried to boot up without doscsi, just to see if I would be able to at least load the ethernet driver. This did not seem to work either - I got the same errors.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
egon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind - I'm an idiot. I modprobe'd and all seems to be well. Sorry for wasting bandwidth. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: