View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JumboAg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Framebuffer / window manager annoyance after upgrade -SOLVED Reply with quote

After my most recent eix-sync and emerge update, I've run into an annoyance that I cannot figure out (I know its gotta be in a config file somewhere in /etc that I let the system modify after my last update (I try to look at the ._cfgyadayada files closely before I ever incorporate them into my system, but I obviously missed something this time...

I'm using KDE as my window manager of choice and it works fine and auto-starts when I start my machine.... heres the annoyance (and I'm probably using the wrong terminology but hopefully the description will explain what I mean):

Now, when my machine starts, instead of going automatically to "desktop/workplace (whatever its called) 7 (ctrl-Alt-7) (the KDE/xdm one), it stays on #1 (ctrl-alt-1) and I have to manually switch it to the graphical desktop. When I unplug the laptop from AC power (I created a battery runlevel per the Gentoo laptop configuration suggestions), it also switches immediately to #1. I manually hit ctrl-alt-7 and get back into KDE.

What on earth did I accidentally change that's doing this.. Its not a HUGE deal b/c I have a workaround, but its annoying the heck out of me. Not sure if its relevant, but I am using splashutils/bootsplash with a graphical background in the 1-6 environments.

Last edited by JumboAg on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
JumboAg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still been unable to determine if this is being caused by my power management configuration/runlevels (battery vs AC Power) or is caused by my framebuffer settings. Any ideas?
JumboAg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure I'll try this again: I know for sure that this quirk is my runlevel changing from "default" to one I have called battery. The switch is done via a script responding to an acpid event. What happens is during the switch, my machine is automatically switching back to virtual desktop #1 (text console) instead of staying in 7 (window mgr).

Anybody know a way to work around this... maybe a script/command that I can put in both runlevels to force a switch to 7?
JumboAg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont touch it for a month, post again to see if anybody knows.... and 10 minutes later figure it out on my own.... Sigh.

I added a "chvt 7" to my runlevel change script in /etc/acpi/actions right after the rc switch lines... Works like a champ!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: