View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirJoltalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Fontconfig local.conf anti-aliasing Reply with quote

Hi,

My fontconfig is actually working ok. I do have a few minor issues, however:

(1) Sometimes when I'm browsing, web pages will still come up using old, non-TTF fonts, like the old "Times" or "Helvetica" fonts. I guess it's when the page has a <font> tag that specifically requests "Helvetica" instead of "sans". In my /etc/fons/local.conf, however, I do have the following:

Code:
        <alias>
                <family>Times</family>
                <accept><family>Times New Roman</family></accept>
        </alias>
        <alias>
                <family>Helvetica</family>
                <accept><family>Arial</family></accept>
        </alias>
        <alias>
                <family>Courier</family>
                <accept><family>Courier New</family></accept>
        </alias>

This doesn't seem to do what I want. I still sometimes see Times, Helvetica and Courier cropping up on some web pages.

Is there any way for me to do a "subtractive" configuration in local.conf? One of my problems with the idea of "never, ever touch foo.conf - use local.conf instead" is exactly this. That's all fine and good for adding options, but what about removing? Can I say "actually, don't use the list of dirs in fonts.conf to look for fonts" and specify new locations that do not include the old fonts?

(2) Recently I upgraded to OpenOffice 1.0.3 and now nothing in OO is antialiased. It used to be before - all I did was get the new version, and now I get no anti-alias lovin :(

(3) Finally, a long time ago, my GTK 1.x apps stopped doing bold fonts. They do bold italic fonts ok, just not bold. Anybody else seen that? I know it's probably not related to fontconfig, but it sure is weird...

If these 3 small things could be fixed, my fonts would be pretty much flawless! I would really enjoy that!
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What web browser do you use? For me, I use Mozilla and in the font preferences is the option to force all pages to use your defined font, so no matter what the website specifies, I always see my chosen fonts.
st.john
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) I couldnt figure out how to set this up in local.conf either, so i went into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ and deleted all the directories except encodings / misc / truetype / TTF, and that seems to have worked, now the aliases substitute the right font, havnt noticed any negative side effects YMMV.

(2) Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/View/Screen font antialiasing

(3) Im not sure what I did to solve it, but make sure there are no capitals or spaces in the names of your fonts, probably a truetype you downloaded ala Bitstream Vera's =) , just rename them and they will still show up as normal in your applications.

You should run fc-cache, maybe restart X after (1) and (3)

HTH
SirJoltalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Well the thing is I do still kinda need helvetica, etc. because some apps really want them (Wine and Acroread, in particular) and look really messed up without those fonts.

(2) First thing I checked, it's turned on. I use Xinerama, though, and I was just looking at the OO site and they say that AA is turned off if OO detects Xinerama. I don't know why, it seems kinda weird. The thing is that I definitely did used to have AA in OO, even with Xinerama. Hmmm...

(3) Ok, I'll look into the capitals/spaces thing. Thx!
volusene
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting
Code:

<match target="pattern">
                <edit name="prefer_outline">
                        <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
        </match>

in your /etc/fonts/local.conf should replace Helvetica with Arial, Times with Times New Roman, and Courier with Courier New.

Don't know about your OOo and GTK problems, though, sorry.
SirJoltalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, that match target="pattern" thing didn't work. After moving my .fonts.cache file out of the way, re-running fc-cache and rebooting, I still get aliased helvetica, lucida, times, etc. in Galeon and Mozilla.

And OO is still aliased. Grr. But the GTK thing seems to have fixed itself. Cool.
cdb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed the other day is the default fontconfig file doesn't pick up the TT fonts installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype (ie, Times New Roman, Trebuchet, etc, etc). Adding the following to my local.conf and then running fc-cache -fv fixed it so the TT fonts are displayed in apps instead of non-aliased ones.

Code:
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype</dir>
jcosters
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdb wrote:
One thing I noticed the other day is the default fontconfig file doesn't pick up the TT fonts installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype (ie, Times New Roman, Trebuchet, etc, etc). Adding the following to my local.conf and then running fc-cache -fv fixed it so the TT fonts are displayed in apps instead of non-aliased ones.

Code:
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype</dir>

Same problem, you solved it! thanx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: