View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duffmckagan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: kdebase packages blocked [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have been trying to install kdebase but I keep getting this error.
I read some other topics that suggested to unmerge the other KDE based packages that I have already installed but I have no idea what to install.

For example, I have installed kdm, kpdf etc.

Code:

copperskull / # emerge kdebase -pv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-apps/xsetroot-1.0.1  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/libXfontcache-1.0.4  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-apps/xset-1.0.2  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4  USE="cups pam ssl -arts -debug -hal -
ieee1394 -java -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -ldap -lm_sensors -logitech-
mouse -openexr -opengl -samba -xcomposite -xinerama -xscreensaver -zeroconf" 0 k
B
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/konqueror-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kicker-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kcontrol-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdm-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdesu-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-
r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kcheckpass-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4                                                             )
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kfind-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkonq-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r                                                             4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdepasswd-3.5.5, kd                                                             e-base/kcontrol-3.5.5, kde-base/kdm-3.5.5-r1, kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.5, kde-b                                                             ase/libkonq-3.5.5, kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.5, kde-base/kdeprint-3.5.5, kde-base                                                             /khotkeys-3.5.5, kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.5-r1, kde-base/kcheckpass-3.5.0, kde-base                                                             /kdialog-3.5.5, kde-base/kcminit-3.5.3, kde-base/konqueror-3.5.5, kde-base/kdeba                                                             se-kioslaves-3.5.5-r1, kde-base/kfind-3.5.5, kde-base/kicker-3.5.5, kde-base/kde                                                             su-3.5.5)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3                                                             .5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/khotkeys-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kcminit-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdialog-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdepasswd-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdeprint-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdesktop-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4)

Total: 4 packages (4 new, 18 blocks), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Last edited by duffmckagan on Sat May 19, 2007 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE is transitioning from a monolithic (only 14 ebuilds for hundreds of packages) to a more modular (many more separate packages) structure. You can only have one or the other installed. Eventually you'll have to be using the "split" ebuilds. See the official Gentoo KDE split ebuilds documentation.

kdebase is one of the older monolithic ebuilds, so you probably don't want to unmerge all your split ebuilds.

Why are you trying to install kdebase?

-m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
jvale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Seems like portage is a bit screwed up. If you take a look at kdebase-3.5.5-r4's dependencies in gentoo-portage, most packages have this (among others):
Code:

!=kde-base/kdesktop-3.5*
!=kde-base/kdesu-3.5*
!=kde-base/kdialog-3.5*
!=kde-base/kdm-3.5*

The thing is, at least the ones I checked, don't have any ebuilds that satisfy the != foo-3.5*. And the packges themselves seem to require !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5*, which doesn't exist also.

You should probably check if a bug has been filed and, if it hasn't, file one.
duffmckagan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madisonicus wrote:
KDE is transitioning from a monolithic (only 14 ebuilds for hundreds of packages) to a more modular (many more separate packages) structure. You can only have one or the other installed. Eventually you'll have to be using the "split" ebuilds. See the official Gentoo KDE split ebuilds documentation.

kdebase is one of the older monolithic ebuilds, so you probably don't want to unmerge all your split ebuilds.

Why are you trying to install kdebase?

-m

Thats what I read and decided to install packages that only I need.
I have been a Blackbox user for too long now and I wanted to try the Desktop Environment thing again. Well..I don't care to install kdebase only if some other package will get me a working KDE environment :)

I have installed the components like konqueror etc. ..meaning the stuff that I need.
The thing that I want now is just a eye-candy environment to work in. So I will pull in kicker et al but the thing is will this all work without kdebase? Thats what confuses me.

Please tell me the difference between kdebase-meta, kdepim-meta and kde-meta.

Thanks.
duffmckagan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed kdebase-startkde and now KDE is installed and functional as per my wish. :)

Love Gentoo :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: